Mounting Spotlights

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trb012

Reaction score
Hey guys I got given a set of narva spotlights last week one pencil beam and one broad beam. Just wondering which one should be mounted to either side of the car? Or is it just a personal preference? thanks in advance

Mine has the spot on the right and the flood on the left. I've seen others with that arrangement as well.

It might be personal preference, but you could also argue that the spot on the left, aimed a little to the right (so that it points centrally), is more offensive to oncoming drivers than the spot on the right, aimed a little left. That's a mighty fine hair to split though.

Mine has the spot on the right and the flood on the left. I've seen others with that arrangement as well.

It might be personal preference, but you could also argue that the spot on the left, aimed a little to the right (so that it points centrally), is more offensive to oncoming drivers than the spot on the right, aimed a little left. That's a mighty fine hair to split though.

Screw the on coming drivers, the idea of driving lights is to help you see not them. I point them to the road edges (so they just meet in the middle) so I can see what's on the edge of the road because what's in the middle of the road will get splash light and probably wont be there when you reach them.

At the end of the day it's your own preference and all comes down to where you use them. I've always reckoned the spread of light should be on the left hand side because while both sides of the road could have animals lurking the left side is a bit more of a risk purely because of the distance animals have to come from on the right.

I have two floods on mine so can't give experience.

If I had the two different types I would probably put the pencil on the right (closer to the centre of the road pointing straight up the guts) and the flood on the left (slightly pointed to the left to pickup wildlife coming out of the bush). Personal preference at the end of the day.

With only two lights I would point them both straight down the middle of the road,the pencil beam looking as far down as possible and the spread filling in the foreground, also with the spot on the right.
My preference is to use another 2 smaller spread beams to light up the edges, It's a very personal thing, best way is to find a nice straight road late at night and have a play around with a few different angles etc.

Has anyone had problems with their spottie relays? I've gone through 2 hella's and a bosch, I rarely use the lights but every time I do need them, the goddam relay won't contact. I am thinking about trying a solid state relay. I think it must be vibration from corrrrrrrrugaggggted roads killing them.

Last edited:
What everyone else has said, pencil on the right and the spread on the left.

Dave.

Has anyone had problems with their spottie relays? I've gone through 2 hella's and a bosch, I rarely use the lights but every time I do need them, the goddam relay won't contact. I am thinking about trying a solid state relay. I think it must be vibration from corrrrrrrrugaggggted roads killing them.

I gave up using the little black ones that came standard with driving lights years ago. Heat, corrugations, cheap crappy design I don't know what it was but we used to replace them every few months until we started using larger dual relays. Each light has it's own relay, they are housed in an ali box with ventilation, they use screw terminals and I haven't blown one in 10 years.

There is a picture of one similar to what I use on one of the threads here, they are hard to get but for the price and their life span they beat those cheap plastic ones.

I wonder if it is the solder joints giving out.

One of the key things with automotive wiring is to NOT solder the joints - the vibration cracks the solder and the electrical connection is compromised. Repeated vibration and oxidisation creeping in the new opening eventually cause what looks like a good joint to actually be non-conductive.

For that reason, they always recommend crimp-on connectors. Screw-on terminal lugs are even better, those relays are worth having. Screw them on, and either Loctite 'em or put another locking nut on. Either way, it will never let go.

In our experience it was the heat of the power running through the relay and the heat of the engine bay that would either weld the terminals inside the realy or make them so hot they would deform and not contact. Vibrations and heat made for an even worse mix when it came to the lifespan of them.

The relays we use have two internal relays both at 30Amps. It's an overkill for 100Watt globes but for about double the cost of one of the chain store ones you get two relays and as previously stated I've never had to replace one due to failure. It's got to the point these days I don't even keep one in the spare parts kit. But if I ever have to replace one I know the one in the shed will take me about two minutes to replace, 5 screws terminals and two mounting bolts and the thing is out and replaced.

I have always used the Little black box style with no probs other than my Gemini had one that would stick on, you had to turn the headlights off to get it to release, but that was back in the early 90's I now run the one that has dual 87 terminals one for each light, as for the lights I run the spread on the left and the spot aimed straight up the guts

I prefer 2 pencil beams as the Navs high beams provide enough spread.

Must say thats one thing I never tested on the Nav or most of my other cars before I got them. Wasn't too worried how the standard lights were I just knew I wanted more light. Since getting the Nav though I have found the high beam do spread quite well compared to some cars on the road and while they will never singe the hairs on the driver in front's neck they aren't bad for standards.

Back