Triton Fastback looks kickass!!

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skyline_man

Reaction score
Damn it! I shouldn't be saying this - especially on a Navara forum, but after I paid $47K for my black D40 titanium edition with tow bar and soft tonneau, I decided to do a search on a Triton just to see how crap they are and also to justify my purchase. Lone behold, I come across a limited edition Triton fastback, which just went on sale in November and guess what it has?!
- 17' rims
- Hard tonneau cover
- leather seats, steering wheel, gear knob
- driver's electric seat
- sunroof
- did I mention SUNROOF?
- climate control air
- usual bluetooth
All this along with the normal stuff that goes into the Triton GLX-R.
And all for $51990 before ABN discounts!!

Now IMO, the new triton looks like a POS. But this fastback has really nice headlights. You can see the pictures here New 2009 Mitsubishi Triton Fastback - (Australia)

I'm starting to regret my Navara titanium purchase now, especially since I wanted the leather seats but Nissan wanted to charge me an extra $2400 for leather. :angry: Does anyone here share the same thoughts?

And all for $51990 before ABN discounts!!

I'm starting to regret my Navara titanium purchase now, especially since I wanted the leather seats but Nissan wanted to charge me an extra $2400 for leather. :angry: Does anyone here share the same thoughts?

Damn they'd have to pay me $52K to drive that thing round. I didn't reckon they could make the Triton look worse but it looks like they can.

As for the $2400 leather seats if Nissan put them standard on the D40 I'd have brought the D22. Leather seats, shorts and hot weather don't mix, besides who'd want to get back in the ute with mud on their pants, it might scuff the pretty leather.

Damn they'd have to pay me $52K to drive that thing round. I didn't reckon they could make the Triton look worse but it looks like they can.

As for the $2400 leather seats if Nissan put them standard on the D40 I'd have brought the D22. Leather seats, shorts and hot weather don't mix, besides who'd want to get back in the ute with mud on their pants, it might scuff the pretty leather.

True that leather requires more looking after, but have you ever been in a family car with young kids and cloth seats? The poor cloth seats don't look too well for wear. They are horribly stained and they smell like crap. Cloth collects dust easily as well.
Leather on the other hand can be easily cleaned if you spill anything on it. It doesn't collect dust and it looks a million dollars - provided you 'moisturize' it frequently.

It looks better than the standard Triton, but still think I would get the Titanium over it.

I'll admit to having sat in one with thoughts of a test drive.That was as far as it went.
I sat in it,and then got out.Like sitting in a 120y.
My Nav came from a mitsubishi dealer,second hand with 30 k on the clock.
Thats what i went to look at and the dealer tried to talk me into a test drive in a triton.
Still the most repulsive looking ute out there,now they have managed to raise the bar to the two most repulsive looking utes out there.

Navara's best looking 4WD utes but I can't wait to test drive the new VW.
JK wrangler best looking 4WD IMO, as I just bought one!

Furthermore, the Tritons have the electric rear window feature. You can just sit in your car while on the move and reach out the back to grab something! Now why doesn't Nissan have that?!

I will humbly admit I was deciding between the triton and the D40 when I got mine. I actually liked the look of the triton and they drove really well. The turning circle is much much better than the D40, the electric rear window is cool, they came with an optional rear locker, you can actually get aftermarket lockers for the front, not like my D40. They just didnt feel like they had the build quality of the nissans. I have got a 05 2wd triton ute with only 60,000kms on it and to be honest I couldnt fault it. It gets a pretty hard time and keeps asking for more. At the time I bought my navara there was only about 2 grand difference between the GLX-R and the ST-X, so I went with the Nav, if the difference were about 5 grand I probably would have gone for the triton.

I was in the same boat, looked at triton hilux and nav D40. For me the hilux wasn't worth the extra$$$ and lower tow cap. Legroom in both hilux and triton was ordinary, maybe because u sit more upright in the nav but it had way more leg room (im 6ft5 so my legs were the measurement). I have owned hiluxs and tritons before and got burnt bad on a triton with resale so that ruled it out. Very happy with my d40 parked in the shed

One thing I try never to do is look at other cars after having just paid for one. You always have a case of the "what ifs" and "should I haves", doesn't help.

I do like the electric window in the Tritons though, very nice feature. But after sitting in one at the camping show, I felt there was no front seat room at all.

I love my D22, wish it came in auto for the wife, but thems the breaks.

Hoo Roo

I decided against the Triton when I bought my Nav. I preferred the Mitsu engine to the 2.5 in the Nav - back when Mitsu still had the 3.2. The problem with the Triton back then was tray size - just way too small.

Now that Triton has a bigger tray, option of decent 4wd system (full time yay) and that cheap rear locker....well, I would likely buy a Triton if I was choosing these days.

I'm not a fan of the looks of the Triton, but that wouldn't stop me buying one - it's just one factor to consider.

On balance, I think the new Triton is a decent piece of work.

Back