MTZ or KM2

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MAT713

Reaction score
I know there is lots of chit-chat about these tyres, but I'm hoping for facts from first hand experience!

I've currently got Mickey Thompson ATZ 4-Rib tyres, they have been great and I firmly believe they are the best All-Terrain tyre on the market.

However I'm looking at going up to 33's with something more aggressive as I spend more time playing in the mud then expected.

I'm not overly concerned with price, road noise or even performance off road (rocks, dirt or mud)

I would like to know how people have found them in sand conditions (if one is better then the other)

Is one actually stronger then the other? IE puncture resistance

Is one softer and therefore wear quicker?

any help is greatly appreciated

I'd personally go a KM2 but I love BFG, just get whatever is cheaper as they are both pretty much the best all rounders.

I have the km2's in 285/75R16 and can't fault them one bit. Bigger all road noise and they are wearing evenly. I found being a mud tyre that they dig down into the sand but it's manageable. Both are good tyres but my recommendation is the km2's :D

Brett

KM2's all the way, Haven't been stuck in the sand yet and every1 elses comments on them are right on the money.... Are the 255/85's taller but a bit thinner than the 285/75's...?

I went with the KM2's!

Car is booked in for tuesday - 285/75/16 x 5 @ $325 each, pretty happy!

Sifting through all the net, it was hard finding clear decisive facts about each tyre - but eventually I dug up a readable copy of the 4wd action 'tread wars' which shed alot of interesting light.

I feel very happy with the purchase so far!

Good choice and even better price. Mind saying where that was through?

-tyler

well is any 4x4 legal like the patrols and hiluxs i see with 35s or 6inch lift and think WTF dont see cops pulling them over

legally you can go to a 33x10.5" in KM2 a 285/75 r16 will be illegal however, stock STR tyre is a 265/70 which is about 777mm

In QLD you are now allowed to raise the vehicle by 25mm via tyres. Which means you can go from 31' to 33' (265/70/16 to 286/75/16)

The spec difference for those are 56.5mm which is just over the 50mm allowance in QLD. You would have to unlucky i think to be pinged for it I mean they could get you for to big of a increase in track anyway. In most states it a limit of 25mm and just changing to the 285/75 and a 8in rim to alllow you to mount the wider tyre will give you a track increase of 45mm on the same wheel offset (+40) get rims that are +20 or 0mm and your looking at 85mm and 125mm.

But in the real world are you going to have a problem, i doubt it. I am running a 105mm and I yes when i first drove it after the change you can feel its difference in handling, I am happy its safe enough to get my family into it.

legally you can go to a 33x10.5" in KM2 a 285/75 r16 will be illegal however, stock STR tyre is a 265/70 which is about 777mm

They don't look at different tyre makes, the numbers they use come from a book of official specification for a size. Otherwise it would be impossible with the different makes and wear or pressure.

well one could still argue that case in court if push came to shove since their legislation doesn't say that just says up to 50mm bigger overall diameter.

I know there is lots of chit-chat about these tyres, but I'm hoping for facts from first hand experience!

I've currently got Mickey Thompson ATZ 4-Rib tyres, they have been great and I firmly believe they are the best All-Terrain tyre on the market.

However I'm looking at going up to 33's with something more aggressive as I spend more time playing in the mud then expected.

I'm not overly concerned with price, road noise or even performance off road (rocks, dirt or mud)

I would like to know how people have found them in sand conditions (if one is better then the other)

Is one actually stronger then the other? IE puncture resistance

Is one softer and therefore wear quicker?

any help is greatly appreciated

I have ran a set of both the MTZ and the KM2 to their end life on my Triton

The Mtz although called a Mud tire ,is in fact not the most aggressive mud on the market , and its more like a savage all terrain

Its also has a wider footprint than the KM2 and is way better in sandy conditions , I got 80,000 ks on mine and only in the end was the tire starting to get noisy

The KM2’s were a narrow tire compared to the MTZ given they were both 265x75x16 , and were also a lot noisier on the road , great tire in the bush but only got 60,000 until they were dead

For my money ( and iam getting a set soon ) it will be the MTZ’s again this time , ive also been looking at what you had ? the ATZ 4 rib as most my off road work is on sandy tracks

Latest posts

Back