Not Lookin' Good

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NavKnight66

Reaction score
Been getting a lot of noise from the Ol' Gearbox of late.

Thought I'd Post up a couple of pics of the drain plug for comparison.

Pic 1 is the Plug straight from the Gearbox..not good !!
Pic 2 is how I would like to have seen it.

The Oil had not been changed since god knows when...

Change ya Oil regular People.

Thanks for Watching

:deadhorse2:

She's got 330,000 on the clock, perhaps some of the more experienced guys here might comment...is this a s%itload of filing to come out or have you seen worse...Cheers in Advance.
Oil was pretty disgusting...The Gears don't crunch or jump just the latent bearing noise in all but 4th, Do you think I can get away with a bearing kit? or is it major surgery?

Attachments

• Before.jpg
    Before.jpg
    210.3 KB · Views: 107
  • After.jpg
    After.jpg
    208.4 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:
Get it early enough and you should be alright with a bearing overhaul. When I bought mine it had the standard bearing noise... probably got 10,000km out of it before it spat the dummy. Use 4th as much as you can and stay out of 5th till you get it sorted. Don't tow anything

Cheers for the Reply

Dion and Nate, thanks for the replies guys. Yes big chunks would be bad, I'll park her up till I can get the bearing kit in.....Thanks again

Perhaps do a quick 2000 or so and do another change. If that's 330,000 worth of filings, it may not be as bad as you think. The noise, however, is not so good.

Agrred

Cheers Pinelli

I also noted that just under two litres came out of the box. This would be good for the 2WD, but the 4WD needs 4 Litres. Bit of a bugger stripping the hump too, but it was easier to get the whole 4 litres in. Read here somewhere that Nissan ( In their Wisdom) made the filler plug too low and you can't get the whole 4 litres in that way ( correct me if im wrong) A mate I was talking to reckons to put 1/2 Litre of Moreys Oil Stabilizer in with it too. Not a fan of additives but the Moreys "Honey" is a great product. Will let you know in the next couple of days how the noise is...Stripped out the whole interior and filled the vacumn cleaner 4 times getting all the crap out.. Worth doing since I just bought it....No Rust under the Mats and $11.30 in change lol
:rofl2:

More Information with Update

Ahhhhh....As you can see from the picture, the centre bearing has let go. This must have put enormous stress on the Gearbox. Didn't even think to check that first. Previous Owner never checked anything on this Beast. Ah Well this little D21 is now in caring hands ( even if my wallet is'nt big) and will be kept running around as long as possible.

Attachments

• IMG_1849.jpg
    IMG_1849.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_1851.jpg
    IMG_1851.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_1854.jpg
    IMG_1854.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 85
Wow! I thought mine was buggered. Must have made a noise on take off.

Haven't tried Moreley's. would be worth a go before ripping the box out. Centre bearings aren't too much either and fairly easy to fit.

Latest posts

Back