Manual 4x4 in D40

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

71MME

Reaction score
Has anyone ever converted a D40 to a manual 4x4 select? like maybe using a d22 transfer case? or somehow making the std system manual?

Someone here looked at the servos and determined that they were little more than electronics that had been added to the box to replace the mechanical lever. No big surprise there.

You'd have to find a place in the cabin for the lever - probably have to rebuild the centre console.

Any reason why you'd want to do this?

Don't want the 4x4 issue again, never played up before, but I have dramas up the gazoo now, rear abs solenoid wont work, abs lights, the handbrake light wont turn off and 4x4 wont work...

Ahh ok. If you fix the ABS issue you'll probably find the ABS light will go out and 4x4 will work again. Handbrake might just be a switch issue - have you submerged the truck?

Your odometer & speedometer are reliant on the ABS units working, but if you're happy with a little less accuracy then going manual on the 4x4 might get you out of trouble.

another way is to make up some abs guards for the rear so that the sensors dont get damaged

Im actually thinking of going back to a D22 5 speed and manual transfer, yes the truck has been swamped about 2'' of water inside the cab, the rear ABS solenoid doesn't work when propted by the scan tool, the front does and the pump does, the rear doesn't, I read old mates post about his 4x4, and we were testing the 4x4 system, without having the foot on the brake, so hoping that system is all back up and working again, as I have 2h and 4h but when switching to 4L the 4x4 indicator on the dash flashes and then goes to 4wd light, but I can still switch to 2H and 4H with the 4x4 light on..

I have just learnt that the RX model doesn't have ABS - so looking onto getttting an RX computer so I don't have the ABS anymore - I use my truck pretty seriously off road, I am on a mission to prove that the IFS trucks are just as capable as the SAS vehicles.... I wont give up - I love my D40

I have just learnt that the RX model doesn't have ABS - so looking onto getttting an RX computer so I don't have the ABS anymore - I use my truck pretty seriously off road, I am on a mission to prove that the IFS trucks are just as capable as the SAS vehicles.... I wont give up - I love my D40

i set out to prove this often with success.
you would need the transfer/gearbox from d22 yd25 to add a stick as the d40 case is chain driven and the way it drops in is via a cog so you would need say some sort of pull mechanism to make it work on like a slide to say still turn the cog. and evan then the d22 has free wheeling hubs and the transfer case isnt build to be run full time.

when my car was stuffing up because of the speedo i figure out that if you turn the car off then back on you can get the car into 4low as the computer hasnt figured out that there is anything wrong with the sysytem i would assume it would work the same with the abs as long as you dont move the car and the abs light turns off when you restart it and havent driven the car.

i would think you will also have issues with running a rx computer as the abs runs the speedo on your truck and the rx has a sensor on the gearbox
aswell as needing the control box/servo from the rx computer is roughly say 1000 and the control box is 1200 and may still not work.

if you are really stuck and need 4wd you can do it manually as i stated in my other thread.

Info re the ABS and speedo (and odometer) is spot on the money. You might also find the RX kit won't talk to the BCM - there goes remote doors, electric windows, mirrors, puddle lights etc.

Personally I'd be far more tempted to resolve the ABS issue. If there IS an ABS issue your ABS light should be on all the time. If the car is just refusing to go into 4LO, then let's just make sure that the procedure is absolutely correct (because the procedure is different to how you describe it above):

* Vehicle stopped
* Foot ON the brake (see note 1 below)
* Gearbox selector in neutral (see note 2 below)
* Move selector from 4HI to 4LO and wait for the thump

It's a good idea to turn the stereo off or, if there's a bunch of rowdy kids in the back seat, apply a liberal dose of taser and do this while they're still twitching quietly so that you can hear the transfer case engage.

Note 1: the brake pedal has TWO switches. BOTH must be in working order. One of these switches is used to send the signal to the ECU for the transfer logic.

Note 2: if the NPS isn't accurately sensing neutral it won't tell the car. This is uncommon in the D40 but happens a shitload in the D22s.

- I use my truck pretty seriously off road, I am on a mission to prove that the IFS trucks are just as capable as the SAS vehicles.... I wont give up - I love my D40

you could prove that a lot quicker in a d22:ha:

Last edited:
LOL Ryan - Yeah the putting it manually into 4x4 was the start of the drama :(

Yeah I read the other threads, and tried the exact procedure you described tony, the abs is something to do with the rear end, so I may have ripped a wire out or drowned a plug, as both my front sensors have had the plugs removed and hard wired with solder, as I ripped a few plugs off..

I think I just need to spend some time and get the ABS sorted and the 4x4 should follow.

thanks heaps guys, we have found a rubber like water proofing spray that we will be trialling on the sensors. will let you know on this!!

Latest posts

Back