Does the 550 have a Dual Mass Flywheel?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have one of the very first of the Nav V6 diesels and for the last 6 months have been starting to get a vibration through the car, especially around the 1500 RPM range. Under 1500 RPM there is a distinct gearbox chatter with the vibration. 37K on the speedo and have towed a 2.5T van for about 15K. The vibration is much more apparent when towing but is still noticeable without the van attached. Any thoughts guys before I go to Nissan. I might add I love this ute and will buy another next year. For what I do it has been brilliant.

Doug

No, they are automatics. They run a torque converter.

Manuals have flywheels and clutches.

As Dave said, all autos.

There were some issues with torque converters vibrating in the 2006-2009 D40 autos (4-cyl). I can't imagine they'd use the same TCs because of the increased torque of the V6 (requiring a TC with a lower stall point) - and those TCs only had a problem as they were locking their TCCs.

At low RPM (below the stall point, and below the TCC engagement point) the TC shouldn't cause any vibration.

I'd be more wondering if the prop shaft was damaged/offbalance. Have you had it offroad, or has anything struck the underside of the vehicle? Can you do a visual inspection and ensure that some smart-ass hasn't taped a weight to the prop shaft?

It could also be the uni - mine started making noise, replaced under warranty.

check your uni joints aren't flogged out, I know hilux's will vibrate if they are lifted up and have old uni joints so im thinking the same thing may be possible when you hook your van up and it drops the back end down relative to the front.

check your uni joints aren't flogged out, I know hilux's will vibrate if they are lifted up and have old uni joints so im thinking the same thing may be possible when you hook your van up and it drops the back end down relative to the front.

recent Hiluxes vibrate when lifted..because they have a two piece rear drive shaft and it cause a the uni joint to run at more than five degrees of flange to shaft angle. That is very easy to cure with some angle adjusters under the diff.

My 550 has a single piece drive shaft...these are much less affected by lift of suspension. However I noted the 550 doesnt have a greasable uni joint and that could be the problem for the OP.

as suggested by 180 degrees...check the uni joints on the rear shaft. rule of thumb is that if you can feel any movement radially she is stuffed.....if you can see any movement accross the cross....time for a new one. tell nissan you will chip in the extra few dollars for greasable unis

Last edited:
The V9X has those vacuum operated engine mounts that suck the engine down onto the chassis at speed and go soft at idle to smooth out the rough idle...

Latest posts

Back