Sensor question

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kallie

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I have a D22 here in the UK. Can anyone please tell me what is the job of this sensor? It is located behind the grill and just below the bonnet catch.

Thanks

Kallie

Attachments

• 002 (2).jpg
    002 (2).jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 125
Hazarding a minor guess here. Does your D22 have an oustide temperature display in the dash? Looks like the thermistor that provides the input to that in my R51 Pathfinder. (Or maybe even a climate control outside temp input if your car has climate control, Australian D22 modesl do not)

Hi mate, yes my truck has climate control, but not outside temperature display.

While the sensor looks to be what Blue said you might be better asking the same questions on the UK Nav forums where there is no doubt other UK D22 owners.

^^ what he said. The UK version is different and might be equipped with an ambient temperature sensor for some reason. That's what the thing looks like to me. Be nice to see it from a different angle - say, taken from the right side, and perhaps removed. If it has 4 holes in the socket, and two pins in the removable part, then it's definitely an ambient temperature sensor.

Although if it is the ambient temp sensor I gotta say we really do get screwed here in Aus, they can't even stick those things in the expensive D40 let alone the cheapie.

Thanks for the replies so far guys. I have posted the question on the UK site but did not get much response so far. I work at the moment from dark to dark, but I will try and get a better pic as soon as I can.

Kallie

While the ambient temp sensor is used for the climate control and the outside temp read out I'm not aware of any sensor being for one or the other only which makes me wonder why you don't have the display on the dash.

I believe although our D22 doesn't have the complete harness for the outside temp read out it can be added therefore the dash is capable of showing the read out which makes me think the sensor hasn't been installed properly, but you'd hope if it came from the factory it was installed right. I guess if the car was bought second hand or the part added recently there is a good chance that resetting the dash wasn't done though.

It's possible that the sensor was installed after the vehicle was powered up and that the dash has not been reset since - installing the ambient temp sensor doesn't automatically display the temp on the dash, you have to then reset the dash to make it initialise with the sensor data in place.

Warning: resetting the dash will also reset your trip meter(s).

My post in the Show the temp in your dash thread has a pic of which fuse you need to remove for D40 models only. The D22 might be very similar, I don't know.

If it's as easy as pulling the fuse and whacking it back in, why not give it a try?

Last edited:
Hi guys

Had time to take the sensor out and take some pics of it.
As far as I know my truck does not have the capability to show outside temp on the dash or on the climate control and the truck came out with this sensor fitted.

Kallie

Attachments

• 001 (2).jpg
    001 (2).jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 72
  • 002 (3).jpg
    002 (3).jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 71
  • 004 (2).jpg
    004 (2).jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 63
Looks like the ambient temp sensor to me. Depending on what you read and which country its produced in as to what the main task of the ambient temp sensor is. Some countries say its for the outside temp gauge others say it's main use if for climate control. It's actually used for both of these things but if your car doesn't have the read out for outside temp on the dash then you can pretty much say it's main use is the climate control. Put it on our D40's that don't have factory climate control and it's main use is for the outside temp gauge.

You can possibly test it by leaving it out and seeing if the climate control works as effective as it used to

It doesn't look the same as the ambient temp sensor I installed in my car, but that doesn't mean it's not part of the system for the climate control. I'll bow out now, sorry I have no idea at all!

It does look more like the Ultima/Xterra model of a number of years ago than the current Nissan one for the Nav/Pathy and it may be slightly different because the "lower end" models didn't get the outside temp reading.

The location of the sensor gives more credence to it's use on the grounds that all Nav models from 05 have had similar wiring and the wiring diags for both the Aussie and US trucks have the same ambient temp sensor wiring running to that exact point. But as previously stated it could be after market, or like our D22's it could also be an additional factory wiring loom given that our D22's only wire that loom up to about the front door hinge.

Latest posts

Back