Advice for purchasing 2004 or 2005 D22

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjjacko

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I'm looking at purchasing either a 2004 or 2005 D22. I've got about $14000 to spend and was hoping you guys could help.
I've found quite a few in my price-range with low kilometers (around 130000).
I've been reading about a few horror stories with blown up ZD30s, with there being issues with the earlier models.
Are these issues mainly cleared up with the 04/05 releases? Or is it not s bad as i'm reading?
Also looking for any other things I should look into before purchasing.

Thanks in advance,

Jackson

2004-2005 is the pick of the years, 130000 pretty good is k's for the age ! the horror stories really are more directed at the patrols but yes some of the early navs had problems to, the biggest thing IMHO to check for is service history, if it has good history and its in your price range then go for it!

Bryan

Welcome to the forum.
As said above by Brian 130k is pretty good for the age and as long as it has been serviced isnt really an issue for those motors.

Just check it over as you would any other second hand car and if it not doing anything odd, leaking oil or water, runs at a good temp and there is no squealing turbo or excessive oil around the turbo, check for noise from the gearbox or diffs you should be good to go,
Things like suspension will be in need of replacement if still standard, but is not a big concern and its something that most do to brand new cars anyway, its also a good bargaining tool and can allow you to knock off a few more $$ from the price tag the owner is asking.

Dont be worried about the horror stories as was also mentioned above t mainly applies to the Patrols, my D22 had around 370'000km on it and was as stock as a rock with no big issues at all.

they are a very good motor for the most part. well the version in the D22 is can't say the same for the trol.

couple of things to check on these utes
-check the turbo shaft for free play or damage to the blades
-check for signs of oil in the coolant
-check for excessive blowby
-listen carefully for any really pronounced rattles/clunks at the front of the engine (timing chain and big end bearing)
-do a stall test on the clutch
-check low range engages and all 4 wheels get drive
-very carefully check for rust on the chassis don't just breeze over it, check the body to, in behind the quarter panels, under the carpets in and around the tray ect

just use a common sense approach to it and you should be right.

Thanks for your input guys!
@180degrees, I've got a couple of questions: By checking for excessive blowby do you mean smoke? And how would you check if all four wheels were engaging (unless you mean to try and turn the front prop shaft with one hub engaged, and then testing the other?

Thanks again,

Jackson

check the intake, see if its full of oil, should be fairly oil free, like sometimes you hear of turbos being covered in oil, you can always fit a catch can but from memory it means the piston rings are ****ed.

to check 4wd get a mechanic to put it on a hoist and make sure all 4 wheels turn when 4wd is engaged (4H or 4L) also check there are no clunks from around midway in the car as they like to stretch transfer chains. you could check it on some dirt as well I guess, I had a guy buy a old hilux from me who did it on the bitumen and he listened for like a scraping sound then he revered backwards to release the tension in the drivetrain.

Latest posts

Back