What Books Do You Read?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
K

KraftyPg

Well the new year is here and after 6 weeks holiday I've nearly run out of reading material again so an order to the Book Suppository (oops Depository) is in order in the coming weeks but few of my regular authors are releasing new books for a while. So what are other people out there reading that could be of interest?

I've read or got pretty much all the horror books written by the likes of Stephen King, Richard Laymon, Clive Barker, and Jack Ketchum and when they started dwindling in the new release department I moved into thrillers by the likes of Matthew Reilly, Douglas Preston, Lincoln Child, Jeff Rovin.

Anyone else got any suggestions by authors of similar novels for me to get interested in until the usual suspects release something new?

J R Carroll and James Tatham are two Australian writers that I enjoy in the fictional crime genre.
Grisham is good or even have a go at the Hanibal Lectre story in 4 parts by Thomas Harris.
Autobigraphy or just a biography is good for a change. Barry Sheene is one to look for or even Australian of the year 1989 Kaye Kotte (sp)
Got a bit on true life crime and the motorcycle gangs plus the other side of the coin written by operational servicemen that dealt with them or served in the TOG or prisons.

Best thing is to spend an hour or 2 in a secondhand bookstore and grab hold of new and unheard of books that grab your interest.

Used to go into 2nd hand book shops to get all the older released books but they charge too much these days especially when you can get brand new books delivered from the UK with free shipping for less than $10 most of the time. Perth used to have some good 2nd book shops which I went to every year when I was there but even those shops have jacked the prices up to around $10 per book or $7 for one that looks like it's been used as a door stop.

I've got one 2nd shop down here which is good for bios from sports and music industry types and he keeps a pretty good eye on things for me, I use Amazon and Borders to get him a list and he just goes looking for them but his novels aren't always in the best nick.

The Hannibal books were definitely better than the movies but that is so often he case. Haven't come across J R Carroll yet and the only gang/bikies books I've got are aussie ones, other countries gang wars don't hold my interest as much. Shall go and look at Carroll now.

Maybe not in the area you are looking but given todays events of a notable author passing away I got to thinking about other American authors and thought that I should revisit Steinbeck. Canary Row being a particular favourite.

I could never get into reading a book, i only go as far as reading the newspaper if its an interesting news story printed otherwise i just flick the pages and look at pictures.

My last three books have been by Peter Fitzsimmons, I started with "Gallipolli" and liked his writing style. After that one I read "Kokoda". I'm now reading "Charles Kingsford Smith and those magnificent men", it was a Christmas present. Only just started but it's a great story so far.

Before those three I read Adam Gilchrist's Biography "True Colours". I like sport's biographies as well. Guus Hiddinks is worth a read too.

I used to read up to two, sometime three books a month for years. Now I'm lucky to read two to three a year! I mostly read Science fiction and Fantasy. My favourite author is Gene Wolfe who could only partly be described as Science/Fantasy. I do recommend Wolfe starting with his "Book of the New Sun" series, be warned his stories are very addictive! Other great reads are Poul Andersons' "The Broken Sword", Jack Vances "Tales of The Dying Earth" and Rodger Zelazny's "Lord of Light".

On the shelf waiting to be read are a couple of Clive Barker books "Weaveworld" and "The Great and Secret Show" that I'll hopefully get a start on soon as I finish Robin Hobbs "The Soldier Son" series.

Cheers Brad

On the shelf waiting to be read are a couple of Clive Barker books "Weaveworld" and "The Great and Secret Show" that I'll hopefully get a start on soon as I finish Robin Hobbs "The Soldier Son" series.

Cheers Brad

Have fun with Weaveworld the first edition of that was 1400 pages, it's not exactly light reading. The Great and Secret show is also a good book. Most people know Clive for his movies but his books are much better, even his kids series are a good read.

Have fun with Weaveworld the first edition of that was 1400 pages, it's not exactly light reading. The Great and Secret show is also a good book. Most people know Clive for his movies but his books are much better, even his kids series are a good read.

That is what interests me most about his books Krafty! I keep hearing how good of a writer he is.

Brad

Tried Koontz for a bit of light hearted pulp fiction?

Bryce Courtney caught my imagination for a while.

That is what interests me most about his books Krafty! I keep hearing how good of a writer he is.

Brad

Go for some of his older books Brad. Weaveworld is obviously one of them but Cabal, Books of Blood Vol 1-6 and The Hellbound Heart (made into the movie Hellraiser) are all good.

I confess a fascination many years ago with Capt W E Johns. I've lost all those books from my childhood, which is sad and I might endeavour to locate new copies, as I'd like to relive some of those tales again.

In more recent years, I've had a penchant for David Eddings, Sara Douglass (of Adelaide Uni), Philip Jose Farmer, Heinlein, a particular taste for Orson Scott Card's Enders series, and a deep love for the prose of Tom Clancy.

I can do without Richard Dean Forster, I mean the guy does stories to death. Terry Brooks is brilliant, if you like a little magic get his "Magic Kingdom For Sale - Sold!" book and its sequels. There are others - Robin Hobb and several others that write decent, fairly original fantasy.

Good escapism. I don't read those books so I can learn how to do this or fix that, I have enough of THOSE sort of books anyway. Sadly, all those books seem to be written in Chinglish these days.

I used to buy alot of software manuals, the kind written by people who knew what they were doing not the ones released with the software. Didn't take me long to work out that reading them isn't worth it, they are better shelved and referred to when problems arise.

Notable recent reads, shantaram - david roberts, marching powder - rusty young and bravo two zero & 7 troop for some sas action. I find anything with a basis on fact always interesting

Latest posts

Back