Coilover conversion

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drew

Reaction score
Has anyone had a look at / tried to / done a coilover conversion to get rid of the torsion bars? I've seen a few posts on other forums but only seen the kit (not sure who's) that widens the track by 3 inches(ish).

I'm just wondering if it is possible without making any extreme modifications.

talk to solid d22, his kit is bolt on from calmini. if you want extreme modifications, talk to me...

The calmini kit is 99% bolt on and is your best bet for a quick solid swap over, although stay away from getting the dana 44 diff ang go for some patrol diffs instead. The width on my car is definately wider but nothing that will worry you or the law.

Thanks for that guys but I was thinking of not going down the solid axle route.
I was more looking into trying to see if modifying control arms and cvs and moving / reinforcing the upper shock mount to run a coilover setup - similar to the new hiluxs.

ah. theres a kit in the states that does that, total choas i think? might be the one that widens the track tho

Yeah Joshy, was just looking at the total chaos website and that is the one that widens the track. It also still uses torsion bars unless you modify the top shock mount to take a coilover setup! I think the gain in travel is majorly from the larger shocks you can put in. After having a look at the site it would probably work out the same if not cheaper to make your own setup. Also just realised the total chaos kit is for a 2WD!!

Solid - I think the biggest benefit would be the larger range of springs and coils over the limited range of torsion bars. I dont really like the thought of winding the bars up and for the price of new bars I thought there might be an different alternative like a coilover setup. If the cv's and arms could be modified or lengthened then you could gain some extra travel. Perhaps ride comfort and handling might improve.

I'm not to worried about increased track, a couple of inches either side could be accommodated for with flares and bar work. Also its for an 86 D21 so I wouldnt be able to justify the money for a solid axle conversion but if a coilover setup could be had for a couple of grand then maybe it would be worth while.

Last edited:
sold axle swap only costs a couple grand...wont spend as much repairing cvs either..

Yeah, I probably could do an sas it's just its only an 86 D21 with a td27t and never really going to be an offroad weapon!! I had a quick look last night (will have a proper look over the weekend) but does anyone know why wouldnt I be able to just swap the shock over with a coilover unit? Apart from the cv's probably limiting movement and being at the wrong angles I cant see any real problems.
The control arms will still move in the same directions, I may have to adjust the upper mount but if there is enough room it should be possible. I guess not otherwise there wouldnt be kits out there to make it possible.

I still reckon if things like control arms, etc need to be fabricated it could be done for a lot less than that price!

technicaly off the top of my head it could work, from my memory of the ifs anyway. strengthen the shock mounts tho.. youd have to play around with the spring and dampning rates a fair bit id think. I dont think theres enough travel in the suspension to ever really make it comfortable..

Yeah I was probably wishing for the best in making it more comfortable, it is an old car after all. I dont think i'll ever be pushing it to the extremes needed to make a sas worthwhile. Like I said before, its more to do with not wanting to wind up torsion bars and the limitations they have.
As far as the spring and dampening rates go, I was thinking that the D21 would be similar in weight to the newer hiluxs (maybe lighter) so that would be a good starting point and go from there. Although just trying to find the right spring setup might blow the cost right out anyway!!

I'll have a proper look over the weekend and have a fiddle around and post what I find.

Cheers for the help guys!

The front shocks are quite short and there isn't much clearance between the shock and upper control arm, I don't know if there would be any coilover shocks that short and narrow.

Yeah they go in behind the upper control arm ay?, Need atleast a new designed upper

For a short coilover shock you would need it would have to be out of a 180sx or something like that, that means it would be a firm shock and not have much travel at all.

Yeah had a good look yesterday and the shock is way too small to be replaced with a coilover. I think you are right Joshy, it would be a hell of a lot of work and not much gain.

Just a quick question though, if I bought a new set of lifted shocks, would the standard torsion bars be ok or is it worth getting the up rated bars?

Latest posts

Back