Boab or Coleman Cabin Tent?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

obr1en

Reaction score
G'day guys looking to get myself a new tent for 3+ night getaways with the missus and wondering if anyone has the Boab CabinLite 5P that they have at Rays for $299 at the moment? Tossing up between that or the Coleman instantup also $299.

If anyone has any experience with either would be great!

Cheers

Generally coleman is a better brand as Boab is the better quality Rays homebrand. But in this case the boab tent is better quality.

Good things about the Boab is the 2500mm water rated fly and the steel poles. Although the steel poles can be a double edged sword as they are stronger, but don't have any flex in the wind and can tend to break the joins on the top corners of the tent. It has good usable space and plenty of ventilation.

The Coleman Instant Up is a great idea and is truely fast and easy to set up. I have had people say although that the knuckles can collapse in high winds, however i'd expect that if the tent was properly guy'd out, this would reduce the risks. The fly is only 1500mm water rated and Rays also only stock the half fly not the full fly. I haven't heard of anybody caring about this or any reports of water getting in because of the half fly.

If it were me, i'd buy the boab. Takes longer to set up, but there's less moving parts. Unless you really can't be assed setting up tents when you get to your campsite and are more focussed about throwing a line in the river and a beer down your throat... then the instant up is perfect for you.

:)

Cheers,

TF

Thanks for the reply mate, that info is much appreciated.

The Boab is now back to $599 at Rays which is a bit more than I wanted to fork out. If I was paying that I would love to get one from the Black Wolf Range or Jet Tent etc.

Have noticed can get the Coleman in a 6P online with the full fly so might pop down to Rays and have a look at the quality 1st hand.

If you're ever around Melbourne and still interested in a tent, pop into Rays Preston.... I'll show ya around em all. We've got the most amount of tents on display than any of the stores.

The crew at Shep are pretty good too but ;)

Cheers.

TF

Cheers mate for the help. I ended up having a look at Shepp Rays but they had minimal tents set up. Turns out the missus was onto what I was after and come Christmas Day there was a Full fly Coleman under the tree. Used it over the New Year break and in high wind and it didn't budge with the corners guyed out
Thought I had a great setup until a mate turned up with his Black wolf X-mas present. Very happy with the Coleman so far though!

Latest posts

Back