extended shakels

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In my opinion they are worth nothing. They are illegal in every state and territory, regardless of the fact that plenty of aftermarket places sell them. According to my understanding, they cannot be engineer approved either.

NSW Roads and Traffic Authority Vehicle Standards Information Sheet 06

Guidelines For Light Vehicle Modifications Nov 2007

Page 4, under "Suspension":

Generally, roll
stabilizer bars, axle locating rods, upgraded shock absorbers or upgraded springs may be used provided they are
suitable for the vehicle and are properly fitted. However, the following suspension modifications are not acceptable:
�� Welding forged components such as stub axles or control arms.
�� Fitting longer, non-standard shackles to leaf springs.

Extended shackles are out. The document (you can get the original and read it by clicking here) does not offer an exclusion or exception with an engineering certificate.

The full list of Vehicle Standards documents can be obtained by clicking here.

Im not here to either agree or disagree but it seems like lately everytime a subject comes up it turns to a legal issues .

I think Navara asia is turning into a legal office.

Have a look here and make your own mind up

Extended Shackles ( 1 2 3 ... Last Page)

Cheers

Im not here to either agree or disagree but it seems like lately everytime a subject comes up it turns to a legal issues .

I think Navara asia is turning into a legal office.

Have a look here and make your own mind up

Extended Shackles ( 1 2 3 ... Last Page)

Cheers

Well, look at it this way.

FREE legal advice a plenty, and years worth of experience....You cant buy that.

What you do to your vehicle is your choice.

Just dont come back and whine like a bitch later.

HAPPY DAYS!

Well, look at it this way.

FREE legal advice a plenty, and years worth of experience....You cant buy that.

What you do to your vehicle is your choice.

Just dont come back and whine like a bitch later.

HAPPY DAYS!

I've got to agree with Nav pilot. I am all for just letting people know that a product isn't legal, but some threads are getting out if hand. The last thing I want is the forum to turn into a nazi forum. I want to see awesome trucks, big lifts, engine mods etc etc. and be able to discuss them without getting a lecture.

Just my 2c

I dont know of any good or bad ones pigdog, a lot of people even make their own. I beleive they are pretty much just 2 bits of flat bar.

P.S. Did you know they are illegal? :big_smile:

I've got to agree with Nav pilot. I am all for just letting people know that a product isn't legal, but some threads are getting out if hand. The last thing I want is the forum to turn into a nazi forum. I want to see awesome trucks, big lifts, engine mods etc etc. and be able to discuss them without getting a lecture.

Just my 2c

Noone said you cant have these modded trucks you talk about,
just keep in mind what there being used for...ie: I drag race cars, but i do it on a dragstrip.
And some of these threads you talk about, you need to understand their subject heading, then youll undrstand that thay were designed for debate.
If you cant handle the heat, stay out of the kitchen

Like I said b4,

what you do with your vehicle is your choice.

We are not all sheep, and we dont all agree on the same things.

You dont have to take anyones advice, be your own man.

Just like I wont put 2stroke in my tank, but others do.

It all about making the right choice for your self from the available resources.

Keep in mind that most of us arent trying to sway people one way or the other to buy/use/install particular products cause we are not sellers,

BUT have some experience between us and probably have been there done that.

If people still have a problem with that, well, build a bridge mate.

I'm not sure I'm liking the Nazi moniker.

When someone posts something, we have 3 choices:

1) Support the idea, which means you support everything about it

2) Know that it's wrong or dangerous and advise them of that, with proof if possible

3) Say nothing, which is not why we're here discussing things.

I don't support doing stuff that's going to land pigdog in hot water over his vehicle and I think I have every right in the world to let him know that there's a risk involved in that change. That's what these threads are about, for me - I don't particularly want to whack people into line and force them to build cars just like mine.

All I want out of it is that nobody has to suffer the consequences of modifying their vehicle and having an uncertified (or uncertifiable, in this case) modification thrown in their face that ultimately lands them in bankruptcy, or costs them their house, job, family ...

These things may not have happened to you, but they do happen. Every single day. And the worst part is when the poor guy who made the mods comes back and says "I didn't know".

I am trying to let people know that there are laws out there that can bite us. I've pointed out elsewhere, the laws are there to protect Joe Average - the rest of us may feel boxed in by them, but there are processes - like engineers' certificates - that allow us some latitude.

On the specific subject of extended shackles, I don't know the reason that these are banned, nor do I know why there's no allowance for them under certain circumstances. Is there another way to achieve the same result? What about extending the chassis, as long as the welds don't go across the chassis member?

Could Joshy give us an alternative to extended shackles that would be acceptable?

Let's turn this around into finding possible alternatives. We know the law doesn't allow these, but can't we achieve the exact same result in some other way?

not 2 fused about the leagel issues I don't want 2 spend a fortune on a lift kit only to pull it all out in a year when I put gu diffs and coil overs in it so just doing a 2'' body lift and putting some 2.5'' springs in the front and some extended shakels in the rear for now

ow and I'm a mechanic and am aware of the rules and regs but other pepol arnt so I think its good 2 post about them if it stops others saying y didn't any one tell me

Will your shocks be long enough mate?

One of the members that came to glasshouse with us had just made his own (Mick or Wade I think, can't remember now) I think he just used heavier flat bar and high tensile bolts I think.

I really don't know why they are illegal either, though I guess they have to draw the line somewhere otherwise we would see shackles 1m long twisting around like palm trees.

yer my shocks are good I got the left overs out of a lift kit a customer put in with diff springs and shokes but he kept his rear leafs or I'd be set. And I thort about making my own but can't be stuffed

not 2 fused about the leagel issues I don't want 2 spend a fortune on a lift kit only to pull it all out in a year when I put gu diffs and coil overs in it so just doing a 2'' body lift and putting some 2.5'' springs in the front and some extended shakels in the rear for now

Snake racing or Superior Engineering have them, check their web sites.

Latest posts

Back