550 bash plates recomendations?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The only plates that i would spend my hard earned cash on are ARB or BROWN DAVIS, personally i used ARB on both my D40 and give them HELL and they were great never had any damage with them on, they are well thought out with location of bolts and how they are hid away from damage and they also provide all the holes for all oil changes ect which are all reinforced as is the centre plate with two big rectangular rails that run up either side.

The Brown davis plates are also a great bit of kit and offer a little wider protection across the front under the radiator but as i have only spoken to others with them and not used them i cant say about the things like access for oil changes ect

Bottom line is both are at the top end price wise but once you see them you will know why they are the best.

Cheers. I had a look on the arb website but didnt have plate avaliable for the 550.
Ill go into my local and ask them on friday.
I dont mind paying more if they are better quality.

Do it once, do it right I say.

then your better off with brown davis in my opinion. they are wider and have alot of internal supports. inside mine at the lowest bend before it goes under the car there is a steel pipe inside the plate, and they are bloody tough i tried to push the dent out i made when i landed on a rock, Its still there hahaha

they also do a 3 piece kit.
P9270004.jpg

thats my 2 cents, I find the arb plates dont cover as much to the sides.

Your truck your call mate :)

then your better off with brown davis in my opinion. , I find the arb plates dont cover as much to the sides.

Your truck your call mate :)

Mate not to be rude but your a little to hung up on the fact that the Brown Davis are wider, and put simply they really dont need to be, there is a few things about the brown davis plates that are no where near as good as the ARB like the protection offered under the gear box, the ease of cleaning in, around and on top of the ARB plates, the way the have put all the bolts totally out of the way and the transfer plate
Dont get me wrong the Brown Davis plates are awesome, BUT imo they are no better then ARB, just different and each has good and bad points.

I look at it like this, not to sound like a big head, but i took my D40's where 98% of others i travelled with and went wheeling with (including you Mike) just would never follow, i bounced it and bashed it over every type of obstacle you will find on most tracks and the ARB plates worked fine and i never sustained any damage to the D40 other then a dent or two in the plates them selves, so why do they need to be wider if they protect all the things that are weak? If they cover the Radiator, sump, gearbox, front diff housing, and transfer case isnt that enough? the reason i dont like Iron man plates and a few others is they are not thick enough and are not mounted well enough and dont offer clear access to drain plugs and drain holes and most have little to no protection around bolt heads, which once scrapped on rocks would be a pain to remove.

Good points there nath, I guess after i clipped a rock and bent enough parts in the ifs to have it off the road for a month + my distaste to ARB on some subjects/pricing have lead me to what's bolted on the truck now. I have a few mates who swear black and blue that ironman are the ducks guts, and another who says the same about TJM.

I guess any of them wouldn't be selling them if they all didnt do the job.

Each to their own decisions, some people like the fact ones wider others that its thicker your defiantly not wrong.

I've never looked into how much the ARB plates are, do you know?

Last edited:
Think it's gonna have to be brown davis, as the arb site states there guards do not fit the V6.

Now next question where do I get that 3 piece kit from, in perth if possible.

I have an STX with the v6 diesel....model down from the stx550 but saame drivetrain. I have the ARB plates fitted to it and so does my brother with his stx550. south of river if you want to take a look

TJM make an awesome plate, the only problem is where the drain plug sits. I had the TJM Bash plates installed on my ST and they work a treat, never had any issues and where really easy to install, didn't need a bull bar to install and when I did get a bull bar later on they were compatible.

In regards to the ST-X 550 my farther got the same plates installed but we needed to drill two holes for access to drain plugs later on. Without these holes you would need to remove the plates before servicing.

Great bash plates but make sure that everything lines up correctly, not just the mounting bolts and rails.

Latest posts

Back