Window skins type thing

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aido

Reaction score
Have been goooogling but can't find what I'm after.
Looking for some sort of clear film that is re-useable that can be stuck onto the inside of car windows to make it easier to clean up after the dishlickers when they drool all over it. I am thinking there must be something out there that can be cut to size, placed on the rear windows and when a suitable amount of drool has been applied I can peel them away, wash them and put them back in place.
Have never seen anything like this but surely I'm not the first to consider it. If I am then the Patent is pending! :big_smile:
Would also be ideal for little sticky hands in the rear seat.
So does anybody know of such a thing?
It is a PITA to climb into the back of the cannopy to clean the glass and after the dogs first trip to the park in the Explorer the other day they have already made a mess of it too.

Have you seen that clear table cloth plastic? You can buy it off the roll at places like Spotlight.

Are your windows tinted?

Can't say I've heard of anything for car windows and with tinting on windows I'm not sure you could satisfactorily adhere anything to a window without eventually peeling off or damaging the tint. Tint is pretty robust and doesn't peel off that easily but it does only take one imperfection and it will start peeling.

There is a product for BBQ's that is just a plastic type sheet that stays on the hot plate and marinades etc stick to it rather than hotplates and when your finished you just peel it off and throw it in the dishwasher. Something like that would possibly be a step in the right direction but it's not see through and I'm not sure how well it would adhere to vertical glass. Never know the same guys that make the BBQ stuff might make something suitable for glass given that many ovens have glass doors too.

I don't have dogs licking my windows but the front of the canopy does get pretty dirty and marks seem to appear even though I don't every remember touching it. Thankfully though my side windows open up and provide enough room that even standing flat footed I can reach the entire glass section of my front windows to wipe them down.

Actually one thing that did just come to mind. If you have to climb in and peel off a piece of plastic, wash it, then climb back in to replace it which may or may not have to be a fair accurate job wouldn't it just be quicker to climb in once, wash it and climb out?

Obviously this is for the canopy windows only because cleaning the internal windows doesn't require too much climbing in and out. In which case I'd consider hanging it like a curtain and not sticking it to the window, that way you can pull it out from either side in one piece without the effort of climbing inside

Dog slober + glass cleaner = alot of effort and smearing before they are clean.
With the Nav I just hit it with the pressure washer inside at the car wash - not just the glass gets filthy but as anyone has seen how much our dogs enjoy wallowing in mud the rest does too. More thinking about the Explorer. Take them off when dirty, throw them in the sink, slap them back on. Also gives an instant clean rather than having to do it straight away. I like my vehicles to be well presented as much as I can and nothing annoys me more than having to drive a filthy vehicle. Having said that I dont mind covering the Nav in mud either but it is washed and detailed inside at the first chance available.

Same way I'd clean the Nav but you'd be suprised how many people out there think washing with a pressure washer is like pulling teeth without anesthetic.

To my way of thinking in the Explorer your issue will be the tint. As previously stated it should be fairly robust but you just never know and especially with a second hand car where you don't even know who did the tint, you may run the risk of sticking stuff to a tint and peeling it off. I've seen suction cups bubble tint work that was either not cured properly or not installed properly and I've seen tinting that just started to peel off. Not suggesting this will be your case but I'd still be wary of sticking anything to something thats already stick to the glass.

Plastic table cloth and a curtain rail will work, oh and probably a drool tray cause all the slobber has to go somewhere when it drips down the shiny plastic.

oh and probably a drool tray cause all the slobber has to go somewhere when it drips down the shiny plastic.
Got a blue placcy tarp in there at the moment. Got my sister making up a canvas cargo liner next week.
I have mentioned it before but she runs a business in industrial sewing - Canvas, leather, cordura, Horse rugs, caravan and annex repairs, flyovers, truck tarps, curtainsides etc etc. Nats Rug and Harness in Horsham for all your sewing repairs and custom canvas! Also the home of little dippers chalk bags for rock climbers and a proud supplier to the AIS for such items :victory: thats enough plugging for now.
Seriously though. Who puts beige high pile carpet in a cargo area other than the Yanks!?

We used to buy industrial cling wrap in 800mm wide by 500 metre rolls for about $17 from a guy in Braeside, if the glad wrap idea works you'll need his number.

Let me clear a few things up about tint, Regardless of how good a quality it is sticking something to it especially with moisture is not a good idea, as said b4 where the tint has lifted where the suction cups were, well when I was working for tint-a-car we used to wet up the inside of the old tint then cover it with the clear backing film that is on new tint prior to instalation then leave it in the sun for a few hours to "sweat" it off, 80% of the time you could just grab a corner and peel the whole sheet of in one piece. Also using amonia based cleaners on window tint can viod your warranty, as the chemical we used to disolve the glue left when you strip tint is a strong amonia based product, and window tint being pourous the amonia basicly soaks throught the tint and breaks the glue down over time, which leads to bubbles and peeling. I am yet to find a glass cleaner that doesn't contain amonia.

Latest posts

Back