265 75 16 vs 235 85 16

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sammy_STR

Reaction score
Hello Navara Forum Fathfull,

I realize this question has been asked and yes I have searched but this is a three pronged question.

So obviously I am in the market for some new tread and am trying to work out how to go. I can get a set of Maxxis Bighorns in 235 85 16's for $239 fitted and balanced. However I am worried about the thinness of the tyre.
I can also get a set of 265 75 16's for around $950 all up fitted and balanced however I am worried about the scrubbing and the fact that they may not fit.. I have searched the 265 75 16 sticky thread, I have a 2" lift on an 03 ST-R so I figure they should fit however from what I understand the 03 had a different standard tyre size and saw one guy on the sticky who had a set of bighorns and tore his bullbar off..

So my first question. What do you guys think on the fat vs skinny debate.
2nd, do you think 265's will fit.
Last, anyone in Melbourne with a set of either tyres feel like letting me try them on for size. I'm happy to drive to you.

Cheers guys.
Sammy

Oh one more question. A mate I mine has 265 75 16 on stock rims but there cooper ST Maxx so less tread. Will muddies fit with stock rims

If you are using your stock STR alloys, use the 265/75/16's.
They are the same width you have now but 3.4% larger rolling diameter.
or 25mm larger circumference
or 12.5mm larger radius.
so look at your existing tires and measure out 1.2CM and thats how much bigger they will be..............................Its basically SFA...people do this without lift, and you have lift, so you should have oooodles of room.

i have 235's on stock str alloys and i dont like how they ballon in the middle. Ideally 235s should be on a 6inch rim not a 7inch rim. You need Bulk pressure in them to make them look round under load.

I have no problem with the handling characteristics on or off-road with these tyres, but mine was a DX so it only had 205's stock.

Thanks pal,

I was thinking that but wasn't sure if they would be too big. Thanks for the info.

I'm running 235/85x16's on the stock D40 alloy rims and love 'em. Cooper ST Maxx's.

They are about the same diameter as 265's and about as wide the stock 255's the 40 came out with.

The 235's look a natural fit on the D40 if you ask me, they don't look skinny nor fat, just about right. The rims are 6" wide.

Basically if you want the fashion go fat and wide and if you prefer function go narrow and relatively skinny with high side wall.
Tyre is supposed to flex in the sidewall at ground contact point - that is prefeclty ok. No need to pump them up to 80 psi :)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back