2nd Fuel Filter

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hunter

Reaction score
Hi I am debating whether to fit a 2nd fuel filter, I have asked a few mechanics only to get mixed feelings, 1 guy told that the Nissan oem is good enough, he said that he had fitted 1 to the 550 but had to remove it because it made the car play up. I am looking for 1st hand experience from those that have fitted one to the V6 diesel model only & what brand did you fit and if any problems, looking at fitting it before oem filter.

Cheers Lyle

Even fitting one to the YD25 can be troublesome. The main problem is flow rate - due to the high pressures involved (and the V9X powerplant is even higher than the YD25) the flow rates are high. Since fuel is sucked from the tank and not pumped from it like the petrol Navaras, putting an additional restriction in the line between the pump and the tank is more likely to cause fuel starvation problems or even air being drawn in through hose joins.

Some have solved it by using lift pumps but you need to ensure that it can handle the flow - the entire tank can be cycled within 5-10 minutes so you need a pump that can deliver around 16 litres per minute or better.

Thanks old tony I think I will just carry a spare nissan filter with me up to the cape.
Cheers Lyle

I fitted a water watch.
It doesn't filter out water like the factory one but detects it in the fuel and sets off an alarm. Also its one of the few additional filters that won't impede on the flow of fuel.

with its glass bowl you can see if there's any crud in the fuel... If it goes off you turn the car off drain the bowl prime it try again if the alarm goes off again tow the car!
Fiends of mine didn't have one on their big trip and got water, 12l in his long range tank :/

Well I did my trip to the Cape when I got back to cairns thought I would check fuel filter, it had water in it but not enough to set the light off, not sure whether that's a good thing or not, how much water got to be in it for the light to come on? I checked the tank none in it, the road was very corrugated, I also had to replace the battery (dropped a cell) in cairns but I think there could be something else wrong with it because every now and then when you hit the key it clicks like a bad connection or flat battery, a couple of other repairs to fix leak in fuel tank, oil leak back of gearbox, radiator protection plate on ecb bullbar broke both sides,but otherwise all good. I work on gravel roads and I haven't seen corrugated like this before, made the OTT look like a hway ...lol
Cheers

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    198.3 KB · Views: 141
thats a lot of water.

one of the problems is that if you get lots of water it can be forced through the filter.
a lot of shaking or body roll can make the water bubble slop around in the filter and get sucked through it.

i would be fitting an extra filter with a big space to hold water. even if it means fitting a lift pump.

Hi, I fitted a 2nd filter to my 550 and have had no problems. It is the ryco filter kit you can but from super cheap or repco with the glass bowl on the bottom so you can easily see if there is water or crud in the bottom. I struggled to settle on a place to mount it under the bonnet so I mounted it up under the tub on one of the supports underneath. Had to drop the tank down to get to the fuel lines on top the tank then got rid of the original hard plastic lines and used normal fuel hose to run from tank to filter then filter to the plastic fitting on the steel line that runs to the front along the chassis then primed it all up and haven't had a problem

Latest posts

Back