Getting to the 2014 Muster

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old.Tony

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
As many of you know, we tow a rather large caravan and we'll have it with us this year at the Muster.

In order to get there intact and safely, we won't be travelling the route chosen by Google Maps or our in-dash satellite navigation system, both of which suggest that we should turn off at Mittagong and take the unsealed road through this tunnel to the caves.

Take a good look at the tunnel. Just beyond it is a very sharp 90-degree turn to the right, which a large rig would have trouble negotiating. The road itself is very dangerous for large vehicles, as there are many tight corners as the road winds its way up and down a picturesque valley. Those who are going on the 4WD trip or the sightseeing trip will see this tunnel and the lookout beyond it.

So how do you get there?

If you're coming from Sydney entering Goulburn, just after you pass McDonalds on the left you'll see a bridge, you should get into the right-hand lane at this point. Cross the bridge and turn right at the lights. There is a servo on the left at those lights - it's probably the last one that's worth using for diesel before the Caves complex.

If you're coming from the south, head through the main street of Goulburn and keep an eye out for the Caltex on the right, just beyond this is a 60km/h zone (unless they've changed that now, but the Caltex is hopefully still there). There's a Country Comfort motel on the right where the speed zone changes. Be in the left lane now or miss the turn! You'll soon see the road sign indicating a left turn for Taralga, which is at the traffic lights up ahead. Turn left, or use the servo on the right then head up Union St.

Once on Union St there are signs taking you all the way to the Caves. Any SatNav will take you straight there on the correct path unless it's a NavMan, which might suggest a left turn at Alberqueque (probably had its software written by Bugs Bunny).

If you aren't towing anything at all, your vehicle height is not too great or you're just up for the adventure and don't care about how many km you have to drive back when you realise you won't fit through the tunnel - feel free to come in via Mittagong. It's a dirt road for much of the way with blind corners, soft edges with steep cliffs to the sides and it's VERY narrow in parts.

Above all though, please be safe, there is NO deadline to be there by, so please don't be dead getting there!

Do you mean this tunnel tony?

That gravel road into the caves from the mittagong side is very narrow in places, and does have some sharp corners
I would NOT tow a big van down that road but a small van or camper would be ok, I have seen campers and small poptops on that road, i have also witnessed a patrol towing a car trailer with another patrol on trailer, it went through the tunell ok ,just watch the sharp turns, window down and use your horn, keep your speed down.
It really is a very scenic drive. I highly reccomend it, in the appropriate car
I aso recommend the cold beer and bra's at taralga pub, I will be coming in that way, the F6 would not make it via mittagong
Are we there yet

Last edited:
That's the one. Our van is 8.5m long, add that to a 6m vehicle and we're 14.5m (47.6 feet) long on the road. We don't turn on a dime, and with the van sitting at 3.2m (10.5 feet) tall at the sides it doesn't fit through little gaps like that, nor the turn before it - or if it does get anywhere close, it'll be hair-raising.

No thanks. I'm going to the Muster to get some rest, not a coronary!

If we are using a gps to get to the campground what should we look up or is there a particular address?

here is a drivers view of the road in from Mittagong side
just type in wombeyan caves and you will find it ok

By my recollection there is a 'no caravans' sign on the Mittaging road anyway.

Having said that, I have had to back up the narrow bit about 800m due to a semi coming the other way!
Trying to avoid the Marulan scales I think!

I wouldnt tow a van along there
But a jayco camper ect... no worries in MY opinion, but dont get stuck and blame sparra

i went for a drive down there 2 weeks ago via goulburn and came home via mittagong and i must say that the road is getting very narrow with the so called safety fence falling down the hill in alot of the parts..just keep a watch out for on coming traffic as not always room to pass.
I will be towing the van in via Goulburn
Drive safe everyone

i went for a drive down there 2 weeks ago via goulburn and came home via mittagong and i must say that the road is getting very narrow with the so called safety fence falling down the hill in alot of the parts..just keep a watch out for on coming traffic as not always room to pass.
I will be towing the van in via Goulburn
Drive safe everyone

The safety fence falling down the hill in a lot of places is an established attraction on this road!
It was like that when I first drove it in the eighties!
I am taking my camper in that way, you just have to be slow and steady on the downhills, sound the horn on the corners, LISTEN for horns as some people gun it up the hills, and ..... Enjoy the look on the passengers face as they look over the side at the drop offs!

Sorry, was that too many dots?

Latest posts

Back