speedo v's gps

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just wondering what other navs are doing in relationship to the difference between the speedo and gps units..my st d40 is 3km faster than the gps......car=100km/h gps=97km/h......i have heard of up to 9 and 10km/h difference:victory:

Not trying to be rude here but you really need to learn how to use the search function on the forums, this is another topic that has been nearly done to death.

Most speedos are out by some degree however by law they are not allowed to read slower than actual speed. GPS's are probably the most accurate form of measuring speed and should probably be relied upon before any speedo.

i do apologise.................as i am a new member i haven't a clue what has been on the forums before i joined....:(

No apology needed, the grumpy bastard who answered your post first is always making waves around here, he can't be trusted. Ignore everything he says.

It's alright WN :knuddel:
Those that have been around have seen it all and do get a bit tired of the same subjects being covered - particularly from the ones that blow in and make their first post a question about a topic that has 356 replies in 46 different topics. And then they just bugger off back to Bore wheel drive action.
Use the Search function - its easy just type in the info you are looking for and it will automaticaly start to suggest topics but from there you can also drill down and search the whole forum using advanced and keywords. Also there is a feature when you bring up a new topic there is a button to click to see if the same topic has already been started.
BTW Navara speedos are crap mine reads an indicated 114kmh when the GPS is reading 100 - greater than the legislated 10% error but try and convince Nissan that they're product is faulty......Massive exercise in futility.
Have a nice day :victory:

That search tool is a handy thing indeed. Welcome to the forum anyway!

As for the speedo, it's a bloody can of worms, but know this: the speedometer and the odometer do NOT read with the same amount of inaccuracy.

For instance: my odometer over 5km is about 50 metres out (if that). That's like a 1% error. My speedometer is about 10% out - the speedo indicates a higher speed than I am travelling at.

It is NOT right, the speedo SHOULD indicate much closer to the actual speed, but because the regulations state that it's within the allowable limits, Nissan don't have a legal obligation (with respect to the Australian Design Rules) to change it so they won't. That's not to say that a few hundred people knockin' on their door won't make a difference, but that would have to be coordinated.

Please search for the threads that contain posts by Krankin on this subject. He's done a lot of study into this particular issue, has provided all the answers on it and he's definitely not very chuffed with the Nissan response either.

No apology needed, the grumpy bastard who answered your post first is always making waves around here, he can't be trusted. Ignore everything he says.

Oh shit,
have you been drinkin again,
ok,
hard day at the salon.
Come here then:knuddel:

Attachments

• Drunk0001.jpg
    Drunk0001.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 65
Last edited by a moderator:
Can't actually remember the last time I had something alcoholic, maybe that's the problem. I think it was possibly one of those split personality Tasmanian things that was spoken about in another thread.

Ok opening a fresh can of worms here and putting on flack jacket
The speedo is out and we all know it. The odometer is out and to a different degree
At the end of the day I have installed a Scangauge and its adjusted to the correct speeds. It will also give you the amount of fuel left in your tank that is the correct amount not the readings from your fuel gauge.It will allow you to know how well your economy is going as well as distance to empty etc.
Also can be programmed to suit your own needs as in what you wanna see.
definitely something worth investing in .
ScanGaugeII - Trip Computers + Digital Gauges + Scan Tool $169 US shipped to anywhere .
Yes there is an Aussie reseller of the Scangauge but its actually cheaper to get it direct from the manufacturer

Last edited:
Bare in mind for those wanting scangauge that while it is cheaper to buy it from the US if you have any warranty issues the local guys more than likely wont fix it (and really why should they).

I haven't had any issues with my scanguage but considering the cost of sending it back to the US and the time it will take to get any warranty work done in the US I'd prefer to pay an aussie company an extra $30 and atleast have the hope that it will come back inside 2 weeks.

Ample outdoors, from which a member here works, (can't remember his name) may even have a shop front for their NSW address for those who want the personal touch. Either way when I got mine from them the package arrived within 2 days of the CC payment clearing service like that is worth $30 in my opinion.

Hey dont get me wrong I would rather support local companies too. But when you realise that all warranty stuff goes back to the US anyway it doesnt make much difference.
Posted from the US 1 week from memory delivered to my door.
That being said I did buy mine long before they were available in Aus

I did ask the forum member who is working for Ample whether or not any model specific programming or the like is done in this country or whether they just import the units and do nothing but on sell but there was never a reply so you could be right about the warranties going back to the US.

Just like I handle any of my clients warranties and related shipping issues if a defective item can't be fixed by me I'd expect Ample to do the same and if these units needs shipping back to the states under warranty they'd pay the shipping from them to the states and back to me. Personally I can't see why someone here can't fix the majority of problems these things might have anyway after all they aren't much more than LCD displays sure the main chip inside it might not be something every electronics store handles but the rest of the components wont be far short of ordinary parts, and with the number of OBD readers out there it's not like the technology is a one off either.

I too have asked the said forum member a question/fix for the SGII and have not had a response

At the end of the day most resellers only just import the gear and sell it for profit.In the case of the Scangauge its as you say a handfull of electronics and software. Its the software that is the biggy.
I contacted John from Scangauge and asked if they could send me the software update for mine.he was very polite but declined lol. ant say I blame him even tho the update was free.
Copy the software and hardware and you can make your own.

I wouldn't even call it software when you consider just what's behind the LCD screen. At best it might be a flash update for a chip but the majority of the work is still done by the car itself the gauge just converts it to something readable.

You can get a ODB - USB adapter (even the Kiwi's make them) that plugs straight into a computer and with a hand full of free software packages you can read anything the ECU is reporting, there is little you can change and you have to make space for either a laptop, netbook or some other such device (reprogramming sat nav units is also possible) in the vehicle which makes it a bit inconvenient but it's easily doable for a lot less than a Scangauge is worth considering most of us have laptops already.

While the Consult software isn't readily available (and not all that cheap) there is also other paid for options, I've got ProScan, that will allow you a fair bit of control and let you change the ECU settings. None of these will be guaranteed of course and obviously serve a different purpose to scanguage's but to me they all show that what scanguage actually does is nothing overly special just bloody handy.

Oh yeah the Scangauge is only creating a readout from info from the cars computer.However there are a few different units doing basically the same and thats converting "1's" and "0's" to something we understand .
The Pathy actually has DTE on some models but seeing the fuel gauge is crap it gives bad readings most of the time. I have found my Scangauge to be damm close to perfect when it comes to amount of fuel left and DTE. Being able to have a readout for speed thats accurate doesnt hurt either.

My fuel left readings are only out when I do a top up instead of a full fill, doing a full fill after that usually brings it back close to right and after the second fill it's back to being within 1 or 2 litres again. I still find myself questioning the distance to empty figure occasionally but thats usually only when the litres remaining figure goes below 10 and I know there isn't a servo on every corner.

I haven't had the car on a dyno or anything so I can't vouch for the revs being exactly right but when the needle is touching the 2K mark the scangauge is usually reading + or - 50ish from the 2k mark.

The voltage the scangauge reads is about 0.2 of a volt out but then one must expect some voltage drops given the scangauge doesn't have a direct connection to the battery terminals, and realistically 0.2 of a volt isn't going to make or break me.

I haven't stuck my finger in the water to see how the temps compare either but if nothing else they do allow me to see movements in temps and for me it's more about the changes and how big they are than the exact temps.

Over all I still wouldn't swap it and don't regret buying it but at the same time I still know it's just a toy and there are other options out there should I ever decided this one isn't good enough.

I wouldn't even call it software when you consider just what's behind the LCD screen. At best it might be a flash update for a chip but the majority of the work is still done by the car itself the gauge just converts it to something readable.

You can get a ODB - USB adapter (even the Kiwi's make them) that plugs straight into a computer and with a hand full of free software packages you can read anything the ECU is reporting, there is little you can change and you have to make space for either a laptop, netbook or some other such device (reprogramming sat nav units is also possible) in the vehicle which makes it a bit inconvenient but it's easily doable for a lot less than a Scangauge is worth considering most of us have laptops already.

While the Consult software isn't readily available (and not all that cheap) there is also other paid for options, I've got ProScan, that will allow you a fair bit of control and let you change the ECU settings. None of these will be guaranteed of course and obviously serve a different purpose to scanguage's but to me they all show that what scanguage actually does is nothing overly special just bloody handy.

I got one of those $20 things from fleabay for the territory and it works a treat.
Plugs into the laptop and shows me heaps and comes with free ui's.
should of done the same for the nav, since the SGII dose'nt show things that i want ie: oil press, and there seems to be no aftersales service or even a reply.

Latest posts

Back