2.5 TD Chip

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alan_blue

Reaction score
Hi all I have just bought a STX Diesel and it has a powerchip on. It drives nice and was wondering if anyone knows anything about these chips and if they are any good etc?

any info appreciated

Hi Alan

Well done on your purchase.

There is heaps and heaps of info on chips within the threads on this site. Search them and you'll begin to get up to speed with chips.

My initial advice is get a free flowing exhaust fitted as soon as you can.

BH

hi mate, i have searched on here and there is lots of info on chips, however there is nothing about poerchips that i can find. Is the original exhaust that restrictive? and when you say free flowing do you mean removing the cat?

cheers mate
al

There are a bunch of restrictions in the exhaust, starting at the dump pipe, the CAT and the 2.5" pipe itself.

Does it NEED more? Probably not. Does it go a little better if you open it up to 3" all the way (include the dump pipe in that) and remove the CAT?

It ought to go better. It ought to be noisier and you ought to hear the whistle of the turbo too. Remember that removing the CAT is illegal, as is removing the DPF if you've got one.

Any of the chips you refer to all do the same job - they intercept the signal from the ECU and change the injector timing + duration. Some are better than others, but it'll mostly come down to how clever the software in the chip is, and how smart they were when constructing it.

I don't have any of 'em on mine, I might do an intercooler mod but that's about it. Putting a mist system in to dramatically improve the heat transfer seems like a good idea, now I just have to implement it.

Any of the chips you refer to all do the same job - they intercept the signal from the ECU and change the injector timing + duration. Some are better than others, but it'll mostly come down to how clever the software in the chip is, and how smart they were when constructing it.

I have a TDC Powerbox, it definitely doesn't alter injector timing or duration, not enough inputs.
It simply plugs inline from the pump pressure sensor.
I would like to see the wiring loom on Steinbauer and DP to see what inputs they use to alter injector timing and duration.

I have a TDC Powerbox, it definitely doesn't alter injector timing or duration, not enough inputs.
It simply plugs inline from the pump pressure sensor.
I would like to see the wiring loom on Steinbauer and DP to see what inputs they use to alter injector timing and duration.

A steinbauer has plugs for each injector plus a power and earth and also a wire for the throttle position

As JPMC described, the guy from Steinbauer at the Caravan & Camping show told me that their chip controlled the injectors, using inputs from the throttle (he said they needed to connect to the throttle) and the signal heading to each injector.

As for adding .5 of an inch to the diameter ... it makes a big difference. Metricate it first: 2.5" is 63mm, 3" is 75mm. Cross-sectional area is 12,468mm2 compared to 17,671mm2. That's a 41.7% increase in VOLUME for an extra half inch in diameter.

Yep, it makes a BIG difference to the amount of gas that can flow through. The real question is: does the 2488cc diesel engine really NEED that much more exhaust volume, or is 2.5" enough to be considered "satisfactory" ?

I'd argue (even though I won't change my exhaust yet) that even gaining a small amount of efficiency has value. Whether it's enough value to justify the cost is another thing, and might be for some, but isn't for me.

You all know my views on a larger exhaust and chip. But for Alan's benefit I rate them both. Quicker throttle response, more power louder whistle and same (dreadful) fuel consumption in my case, but I do drive my ute hard.

Ok guys some of you may know that I have had the chance to test both 2.5" mandrel bent and 3" mandrel bent exhausts. We have had em on the dyno and had months of on road testing.

The 3" exhaust imo is not worth the extra money if you are on a budget.
The 3" does seem to run ever so slightly cooler egt's BUT.... and this is just seat of the pants stuff it seems that the navara likes the little bit of extra temp of a 2.5" exhaust as I feel it has a bit more low down torque among other things.

I have actually gone back to a 2.5" exhaust now for the above reasons and I feel it is a nicer option for noise and vibration levels. Also seems to actually blow a little less smoke too. And this is very noticable.

My economy is and has always been very good and I can't seem to notice any major difference if anything the 2.5" may have the advantage. I still have a cat and muffler in my system too. Further gains may be had if ya willing to drop the cat but I don't really recommend this mod for legal and environment reasons. lol

As far as chips and exhausts go too mate ring Northside 4x4 (5495 5519) and talk to Jamie. They have an option available that uses the same principles of the steinbauer but doesn't rely on using a throttle position wire. Cheaper too but very good quality. Tell em Brian sent ya and he should be able to look after you. They can dyno to check ya tune is safe also which is always a good idea

Regards
Brian

I have to back Bosshog, 3" is definately the way to go. We have done back to back on a range of echaust syste,s and 3" with a chip is a must.
What brand is it?

the chip brand is powerchip mate. Why is it that people say that you need a 3 inch exhaust with a chip? Having a chip and the exhaust will both work together and give a better gain perhaps, however some say that a 2.5 is better??

So do you really need a 3inch with a chip or is it just another mod that would help the navara with or without a chip?

bigger the exhaust the quicker the exhaust gas leaves thus lowering tempretures which enables the car to run more efficiantly?? i think ?

chips means more fuel poured in which makes more exhaust gas which increases the amount of backpressure which works against the motor. hence the need for bigger exhaust.

i can't see why a 2.5" would make it run better than a 3". unless the cat was running to cold and fouling. but funny things can happen when your dealing with variable turbo's to.

Latest posts

Back