How can I solve the "Vibration Problem"?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hilmibezgin

Reaction score
Hi all.. I have a new navara D40 4x2 Crew Cab and it's been around 6000 kms since I bought it. The only thing that drives me crazy about that truck is the vibration. I can not even speak while driving if the road is not very smooth. Maybe it's a normal thing because of the springs but what is the proper solution? Do I have to install a chasis weight of 100kgs or if I install a different shock absorber will it stop shaking? What is your opinion or experience? Pls help.. Thanks..

Mines a 4x4 but it was quite plush when it was standard, I am guessing they have got quite harsh springs in it. Trayback or tub?

That doesn't sound right. If your teeth are coming loose while driving, either you've got a suspension problem or you live in Dungog NSW. What kind of load are you carrying (on top of Matt's questions)?

Something's not right. Was the vehicle new when you bought it? What tyre pressures are you running?

Need to do some simple diagnostics first before anything else.

I have a 2007 4x2 and no way do I have that issue and all my suspension is stock as far as springs and have Billsteins in the rear. But mine has never been like that.
I can drive across the ripple strips on a race track and have no issues
have you done the old bounce test on the shocks ?
Can you drive thru a driveway without being thrown out of the truck?

Last edited:
It's been around 3 months since I bought the vehicle from an authorised dealer and it was 0 kms. Before I buy it, we have done a test drive with a 4x4 D40 with a canopy installed and it was magnificent in terms of comfort. But mine is very disappointing. It's a trayback and doesn't have any modifications yet.

When I decrease the tyre pressure to 32 bars, approx. 80% of the vibration is reduced but I guess that pressure is very low. It's now 34 bars and still uncomfortable. Tyres are standart "Continental" 255/70 R16. The vehicle is almost stable if the road is smooth and when the road takes a corner.
I once carried a weight of 300 kgs and there wasn't any vibration, but mostly I drive it without any load. I haven't done any diagnostic tests but I seached Tecdoc whether there is an alternative shock absorber in 4x4 version. But they are all same in all versions (Spain made european versions in Turkey market). The stock rear suspension is Monroe and it's very soft. I mean you may push an pull it with your two fingers easily. I thought, If I replace it with a harsh one, it may work and wondered if anyone of you faced the same problem. I showed the vehicle to a guy in the Nissan repairshop and he just said "it vibrates, that's normal". It's not very convincing but I was quite patient.

Anyway, Aussie Frontier if it's possible for you would you please tell me the Billsteins rear shock absorber number as those may solve my problem. And if anyone of you could suggest me smt. different I would be glad to hear. Thank you for your interest.

I don't believe the vehicle that you have should be markedly different to the one that you test drove. We drove a Titanium edition and apart from the leather seats, ours was nearly identical to that in ride and comfort. It still is an extremely comfortable vehicle.

The only time I have an issue with it is when I'm hitting bumps too quickly, the rear suspension isn't up to any significant load and it almost feels like a solid hit, as if the suspension has travelled its full length and met the bump stops.

We've been offroad, over corrugations, through creeks, up rocky paths and have not had this happen once. It usually only happens when I'm too fast entering a side street from a crappy cambered road and there's a big dip that I didn't expect.

Answers to these questions would help:

1) What is your tyre pressure measured in PSI or KPa?

2) What is the distance between the top of your tyre and the wheel arch with an empty vehicle?

3) If an average adult (80Kg) sits on one side of the vehicle, how many mm does that side drop on the front and rear (measure the distance in 2 again)?

When I decrease the tyre pressure to 32 bars.........

32 bar = 464.120761 psi ! ! ! ! :suicide:
what units are you measuring pressure in ?

is it vibration or just feeling the bumps in the road?
is it coming from front end or rear?

i would compare how stiff it is the push the ute down and rock it side to side to another one. you could have harder suspension or possibly a joint is seized somewhere.

Certainly explains the rough ride if it was possibly to get 400 psi in a Continental running over a snail would feel like hitting Ayres Rock with one tyre.

Even 3.2 bar would be pretty hard to run with. 32 psi although low would be a little bit closer to the mark.

what units are you measuring pressure in ?

is it vibration or just feeling the bumps in the road?
is it coming from front end or rear?

i would compare how stiff it is the push the ute down and rock it side to side to another one. you could have harder suspension or possibly a joint is seized somewhere.

It's 32 psi, my mistake.. and when I pass through any tiny little bump or hole (I mean very tiny one, like a defect on the road) it causes a vibration. When I drive in another car behind my navara I can see the trunk shaking.

the shocks are customised to fit the rear end by a company in the US
they are model number 5125
PRG Products

I have had alot of dealings with Greg the owner and he is one of the good guys and backs his work 150%

Thank you for the information, I have to ask for that series here and see what I can do here as the overseas shipping costs are generally twice as much of the product :dong: I hope it'll work. thanks

unbolt the shocks and give the ute a few shakes. if its still hard it could just be stiff springs, but if it goes real soft maybe faulty shocks.

mind you i tend to forget how bad the D22 was when it was new. change of springs made a big difference.

If you try to buy 5125 series here in Aus you will get told they dont fit.
Your best bet would be to send Greg at PRG an email and ask to buy just the adapter bush's and then buy them local
otherwise there is a way to get them from Indy in the US to Melbourne for low cost and then just get them sent from Melbourne . If interested lemme know

oh yeah almost forgot

I run 265/70/R17 BFG AT's at 40 lb all round

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back