ST model hill descent ability

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lugnuts

Reaction score
Is it a big deal the ST doesn't have Hill Descent Control?

I'm told it can't be fitted to the ST and there is not an option of a torque converter lockup switch because of the type of transmission in the Navara.

Thanks

Why would you want it anyway?
To use the Hill descent in the NP300 you need to be in 4 LOW and if your in 4low and in a low gear it's just as good.
To me it's just a waste of time a bit like the factory diff lock which can only be used in 4low too.

I think more accurately, the torque converter lockup function is managed internally by the TCM. It isn't sent out the side of the box and forward to the TCC. Being completely internal, there is no means of intercepting the physical wires and engaging the lock (that I know of).

You could have a chat with Wholesale Automatics and ask if they've pulled a NP300 box apart to check the valve body/TCC because they supply not only replacement valve bodies, but torque converters and manual TCC lockup switches (for other makes, not the D40). If anyone's going to know, I'd expect them to.

Wholesale automatics told me that it couldn't be done.

I'm almost ready to buy so it's interesting to hear others views on the value of having HDC.

HDC isn't vital. It doesn't stop you from going off-road and when the going gets really tricky, it's useless anyway. And I'm fairly sure that we didn't have it 30 years ago but people were still 4WDing.

I don't have it on mine, and we've been down hills that you can't go back up - we just took it slow (much less than walking pace). HDC wouldn't help at that speed anyway ... every now and again the wheels would loosen some gravel and it tore off down the hill in front of us.

I'm not a highly experienced 4WDer and the boundary tracks at Nundle NSW have some sections that I never would have attempted had it not been for the experience and superb guidance of Sparra04, who used to frequent these forums when he owned a Navara. None of the cars on that day had HDC and we enjoyed a fantastic track that went from 1300m above sea level down to around 500m with wonderful views of the valley below as we traversed the edge of the plateau.

Latest posts

Back