Nissan Paint Quality

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
As some of you know I have had a running battle getting Nissan to own up the fact the paint on my D40 4x2 is stuffed
I am off to the NSW Office of Fair Trading Tribunal in the next week or so and am just getting my stuff sorted .Nissan arranged to have the front left guard,bonnet,front apron,tailgate and rear left door repainted.Rear door was one job and the rest was at a different workshop.

Ok thought would take a few piccies so everyone can see what this is all about
this is paintwork that Nissan says has no problems

matching colour mmm dont think so and just in case your curious its the front door thats original paint and the front guard and rear door thats been repainted

IMG_0844.jpg

IMG_0843.jpg

this is on the front of the drivers door on the inside and the paint is see thru

IMG_0839.jpg

Drivers side gutter rail with no paint

IMG_0854.jpg

pics often don't look like it in the flesh. however its easy to see that the panels are different shades and front guard has a green tinge to it !
bloody amateur job !
most likely they got an apprentice to do it and they should be hanging their heads in shame for such a crap job.

You poor bugger. I've been following this for a while on the Nissan Frontier forum as well, and for Nissan to say this is an ok job proves they couldn't give a stuff.

Its just sheer incompetence, and the shop who did this should be redoing it to the right colour and thickness. Heck, if they cannot even colour match, what the heck are they doing spraying cars.

Crap like this makes me angry!:angry:

Hoo Roo

Amazing. The front door with its original paint has a fairly clear reflection. The rear door with its respray is chock-full of scratches and looks like a bloody shambles.

You'd probably get good competition from my grandson, who is not yet into crayons but we can get him started tomorrow so he's ready when you are.

I would not be happy with that job at all.

Well the amazing thing is Nissan says they cant find anything wrong with the factory finish. I dont see how see thru paint and no paint at all can be no factory paint fault.
the job on the front of the truck and tailgate was done by Vic mash in Melbourne . I have been told that Black is one of the hardest colours to match and its only when direct sunlight hits it that you can see the difference .Nissan didnt even contact Vic Smash about it for 12 months after i started complaining .
Nissan basically didnt think I would stay with it and have blatantly lied ever since i call them out

Probably not admissible but bloke I work with used to sell nissans for several years. Anecdotally from him and came up in conversation unprompted but he said that on several occasions the dealership would receive new D40's into the yard straight from the wharf and then send them to get a whole respray because of mismatched colours between panels and really bad paint.
Well done for sticking by your guns and I hope you get a more than reasonable outcome for the hassle you have to go through.

For all of the paper shuffling and stuffing around the stupid bastards could have given you a full 2 pac midnight black that looked like it was dripping wet instead of a poorly done, halfarsed acrylic and you would have become their number one advocate for professionalism and service. Pity they just don't understand customer service and how to turn a bad situation into a favourable one.

I am fighting my own battles with warranty issues and wish you the best. I have pointed out that they could easily rectify one of my problems at a local engineering shop for under $200 but they are refusing to even admit that the manufacturing fault that I have had to document, point out to them and point to at least one other case even exists.

I can confidently say that after this Navara is departed I will never buy another Nissan again.

Feel for you too mate, might be worth trying to find a friend with an SLR camera with a polarising filter on it and a few other professional attachments. The polariser will cut the glare/reflection from the photos and hopefully show more detail in the mismatched panels and better lighting will show the detail in the sills.

Go the whole hog and dont back down!

I have a white D40 and when my tailgate and right rear corner got repaired I thought "white is an easy colour to match".

Oh, how wrong was I.....

I refuse to take the vehicle back as I don't want to muck around with it, but it's obvious that the tailgate is a different colour to the left side of the tub. And the panel shop (in their wisdom) blended the entire right side of the tub when they repaired the little ding in the bottom right corner of the tub...so now, when you look at the vehicle from the right hand side, the tub is a different colour to the body.

All this from a white vehicle.

Yet on another note, when my Benz needed a new RH front drivers door, I was worried about how well the paint would match. We've all seen terrible "matches" out there on light silver coloured metallic cars - you know the kind where depending on the angle you look, the panels look like they could have come off different vehicles.... Yet the depth of colour, the finish, the match on the metallic "grain"....all seems perfect. It's been almost 2 years now since that repair, and I still can't fault the repair itself. It matches the rest of the vehicle perfectly, just like when it came out of the factory...

I've seen Paul's black D40 in the flesh. The quality of the paint is simply inexcusable.

Last edited:
At the end of the day its just ridiculous that no-one seems to be able to colour match.
The guy painting my hard cover had 3 tries and none were even close so I asked for my money back. So 2 people in Canberra and 1 in Melbourne have had a try at colour matching and no-one has been able to do it. With all the technology in the paint industry its beyond me why none can do it. They all say yes we followed the factory recipe but well the results are evident .

Holy shit Aussie,that paint is a disgrace,i'm color blind and i can see the difference.:thumpdown:

Mine is silver and after a truck backed into it, S heen panels in Dandenong had no probs matching paint.
It was the bush pin stripes that were the hardest to match.:dong:

Well the guys at PPG have inspected the truck like 4 or 5 times and yet they say its a good match go figure
You would never think a company like PPG would do just what Nissan wants . Gotta love integrity !

i've got an opel blue d40. i bought it new and you can clearly see the difference in shade from the front bumper to the body. made me feel a little better when i seen lexus's and mercedes had the same. metal verse plastic go figure.

the paint quality on the d40 is shit to say the least..if the wind blows hard they get scratched. after coming out of a landcruiser i know see why toyota's are worth the extra money.. i reckon they missed a coat.

jmo

According to all painters I have spoken with the problem with plastic bumpers is they dont colour match well. Has something to do with the materials used etc .

Anyway my phone hearing thingy is next Thursday. I was notified by the Fair Trading Tribunal that all evidence to be used in the case had to be delivered to the other party by today. I have emailed Nissan about 50 pics plus emails and statements etc so I covered my bases. Funny part is the people from Nissan involved are both on leave so they either wont be back in time or get back a day or so before the hearing. I have received nothing from Nissan so that means they are not able to bring anything like the mythical "Industry Standards" into this as they havent furnished anything to me.
So will be interesting to see what happens on Thursday .

Well another fun week
Nissan is now wanting yet another inspection carried out on the truck.
They have asked the Tribunal to order me to have another inspection.
I have basically asked them 2 questions
What exactly are they trying to find by yet another inspection?
and
Do they not believe in the inspections that they have already paid to PPG to have done?
Surely 8 inspections in total is enough.

So far no reply .

Hi Paul,

Sounds to me like they are trying to introduce new evidence. Which, according to my understanding isn't part of the proceedings...

Here's a wildcard...are PPG the best people to be advising? What is their affiliation with Nissan? Are they neutral?

Inspection - sure - by a recognised NEUTRAL third party. Nominated by the tribunal ;) NOT by Nissan.

Latest posts

Back