Nissan Navara NP300 the saviour for die hard Nissan fans

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

indio2010

Reaction score
nissan navara was the third best selling ute in australia in the month of november behind the hilux and the ranger. after the disaster of the d40 will the np300 be the car to regain the once loyal nissan diehard fans??

think the legendary navara d22 and the patrol gu and gq.... any thoughts?

I think your being a bit extreme about the D40 being a "Disaster". Only a disaster to people who have had issues. I love my D40 and im sure there are many others with my thinking.

i have a d22 but explaim why was the d40 a disaster please? its a really nice truck and i would definately buy it if i wanted the extra power for my work.
well toyota has a much more dedicated fanbase than nissan does and ranger is a really nice truck overall. i just cant understand why is the np300 sold with the same engine specs as the d40, they should have added a bit more power, otherwise why sell a 190horsepower d40 to get the same power back from the new model? makes no sense.

i have a d22 but explaim why was the d40 a disaster please? its a really nice truck and i would definately buy it if i wanted the extra power for my work.
well toyota has a much more dedicated fanbase than nissan does and ranger is a really nice truck overall. i just cant understand why is the np300 sold with the same engine specs as the d40, they should have added a bit more power, otherwise why sell a 190horsepower d40 to get the same power back from the new model? makes no sense.

the engine in the d23 is completely different. i have the 2.3 litre twin turbo which is a joint project with nissan and renault which is the same engine which is going to be used for the upcoming mercedes benz ute and the new renault ute called the alaskan

I think your being a bit extreme about the D40 being a "Disaster". Only a disaster to people who have had issues. I love my D40 and im sure there are many others with my thinking.

the d22 was a very capable vehicle. there is no disputing that. although by todays standard it was not very advanced eg. poor safety rating. the d40 was supposed to be a replacement but it was not a capable vehicle. vulnerable underbody (yes some models had the best power), transmission issues etc and lots of niggling issues even admitted by the head designer keno kato. the reason why they sold the D40 along side the D22 was because the D40 wasnt capable. the new D23 replaced both models.

the d22 was a very capable vehicle. there is no disputing that. although by todays standard it was not very advanced eg. poor safety rating. the d40 was supposed to be a replacement but it was not a capable vehicle. vulnerable underbody (yes some models had the best power), transmission issues etc and lots of niggling issues even admitted by the head designer keno kato. the reason why they sold the D40 along side the D22 was because the D40 wasnt capable. the new D23 replaced both models.
I dont think it has anything to do with the car not being capable, car makers dont really take that into consideration when building them. They build them to suit the main buyers of the car. In the navars case the majority would be trades people. The D23 is far from being HEAPS more capable than the d40 or 22, yes it would be by a small amount but its no coil sprung patrol ot cruiser. My d40 would be right behind any d23 on the tracks.

I think the d23 will be way more capeable offroad compared to the d40 and d22 in stock form.

The d23 has a rear difflock which makes a massive difference. Plus the coil rear will give most articulation.

Also nissan has refined there traction control system when the rear diff lock is engaged so it only works on the front wheel. I owned a d22 ive owned a gu patrol ute. After spending alot of money my d22 was capeable offroad. My ute was amazing offroad. The np300 wont do what my patrol did. But it will be able to do more then what my d22 did. The np300 is a massive upgrade and if anyone thinks there d40 is better. They have rocks in there head or spent bulk coin on it

d40 comes with factory diff lock (in europe at least) and you are right that coil in the back will help abit in offroad but only when unladen! 200kg in the back and you just realise how useless coils are compared to leaf springs. if a wanted somewith with that much comfort and 0 ability carry at least a ton of wood for example i would buy a proper SUV like a honda CR-V not a navara-qashqai hybrid.

I think the d23 will be way more capeable offroad compared to the d40 and d22 in stock form.

The d23 has a rear difflock which makes a massive difference. Plus the coil rear will give most articulation. /QUOTE]

From what iv seen the coil rear end doesnt flex any more then any leaf spring set up

None of these utes will be remarkably more capable from stock.

Yes diff lock is nice!
Traction control may be good too. And coils may be comfy.

But at the end of the day you will always be limited by clearance, articulation and driveline strength.

I would have preferred to see nissan use a 3ltr + engine like the rangers.
Anything smaller just seems like your squeezing too much out of a small motor to me.

No i havent.

But if i had the choice between 2.3ltr, 3 & 3.2lt id be going the 3ltr at a minimum.

Theres no replacement for displacement.

Just my preference, may not be the answer for everyone.

No i havent.

But if i had the choice between 2.3ltr, 3 & 3.2lt id be going the 3ltr at a minimum.

Theres no replacement for displacement.

Just my preference, may not be the answer for everyone.
Completly agree, hence why my next car (long time away) will he a dual cab cruiser

Mm mm yeah I loved the idea of a v8 dual cab cruiser too. But when I got to the dealers and saw the price tag, I think it started at around 70k without ANY options.
By any I mean not even air con.
I don't know if you can even get Bluetooth etc.
The np300 for 50k and 1% finance just made way more sense.
I've had it a couple of months now and love it.

. after the disaster of the d40 will the np300 be the car to regain the once loyal nissan diehard fans??

A bit harsh. I loved my D40, which I had for 7 years, but recently upgraded to a NP300 STX. So far I am very happy with the new Nav, but letting the D40 go was very hard.

Latest posts

Back