03 3lt TD erratic idle problem

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

parlyboy

Reaction score
Hi all

I bought an 03 3lt TD manual a few months ago and love it.

I baby it around town and get at least 700km for a full tank. But the last few fills I think im using more for some reason.
I have noticed that when I accelerate in 3rd/4th/5th and take foot off pedal I notice ute wants to keep going, almost like choke is on or something.
It sits about 1300 or so revs and i cant slow down with gears coming to set of lights. I have to hit brakes. After a few seconds when iim stopped it comes back to about 750rpm.
I have trolled around but cant pin point an answer...little help?

Cheers

possibly running on engine oil or lots of injection lag. poor injectors or low injection pressure.

i've had similar but usually only notice it in low range when it just wants to keep going and your foots hard on the brakes.

i would try changing fuel filter first.

Side issue... 700 kms to a tank! DAMN! i have an 03 3l diesel and get between 530 - 580 on average, never hit 600. do you have a canopy or bullbar? i wonder what is making such a big difference?

following with the side issue i also get about 700k's from a tank,, but mines chipped.. the guy i bought it off said he removed the chip and the fuel consumption remained about the same... its just ran heaps better with the chip...

700Km to a tank equates to about 11.4LPHK or better. Several of us are doing that now.

Weight and traffic are the biggest influences for mine. Given the weight mine normally carries I should get about 12.2LPHK, but I'm happy to be averaging mid 11's.

THanks for th reply guys.
No canopy or bullbar, but looking for a BB and hard lid.

I changed oil and filter about 3 wks ago with Penrite 15 and air filter too. Changing fuel filter this week.
I dont really want to take it to a mechanic for him to tell me there is nothing wrong.
Its got about 170km on it.

In saying that, might be worth going to mech to go right over the ute and tell me what needs attention.

If thats the thing just to right of steering column, then no. I am in Canberra and not sure when/if to turn it on or how long for. Truck seems to start fine but a little harder in cold. Should i turn it on just for start up in winter?

The idle problem happens more if truck is warm/hot, not so much if its only a short trip.

I changed oil and filter about 3 wks ago with Penrite 15 and air filter too. Changing fuel filter this week.
check oil level, you may have over filled it.

do you normally use penrite 15 ?
if not sometimes changing oil gives you more blowby and you could be blowing more oil into the intake.

check oil level, you may have over filled it.

do you normally use penrite 15 ?
if not sometimes changing oil gives you more blowby and you could be blowing more oil into the intake.

I have only had the ute for a few months and did the change myself, so i would not know what oil had been used previously. I think Nissan had done it before.

Ill check this arvo when cooled down. Has anyone heard of this problem before?
Can it do damage if its a touch over full?

these do seam to blow a fair bit out the breather hence why catch cans are highly recommended.
its not good having oil go down the intake. it combines with dust and soot from egr to make thick black goo in the intake. also it acts as fuel and pre-ignites upon compression which is what can make the engine take off and generally fart about. i've had that once when it was overfilled by a litre or more. no problem since fitting catch can.
if you get enough dripping in and pre-igniting the flame temp could go up enough to damage the pistons, in theory at least. in practice its hard to tell.

Thanks. How much does these cans cost to get installed or can you do it yourself?
And where do i get one? supercheap or from nissan?

nissan :laugh: :laugh:

provent is a good commercial one otherwise you need to make or modify a supercheap/ebay one to suit. a can on its own doesn't do much, you need some sort of filter in it. some use lots of pot scubbers, i use a breather filter, the provent has a proper paper filter.
you also have to make it so the oil mist can't take a shortcut from inlet to outlet, that can get tricky.

Checked oil level. Good as gold.

On a side note, im looking to buy an alloy bull bar? How much are they new and second hand?

Latest posts

Back