splines sheared on torsion bar bracket

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jordo D22

Reaction score
this happend to me easter last year. we were down at rover park tenterfeild for easter camping. as i was coming back to camp i hit a lil speed bump a bit to fast with a BIG pothole behind it which i couldn't see. on landing there was a loud banging sound, didnt think much of it then but looking at my ute back at camp i realised my car was riding on bump stops on RH side. checked it out and the torsion bar had sheared the internal splines on the rear RH side bracket. has any one heard of this happing? had a 2in EFS and new torsion bars, new rear springs. 2002 d22 fortunatly RACQ towed me for the 4hour round trip.

does any one know the reasons for this? to much lift? Torsion bars not installed properly or just plain old wreckless driving haha gotta love, but gotta hate it. this may have been discused but cant find the thread for it yet.

did they put the circlips back on the rear of the torsion bar, it stops them moving back. or put in to hard basket. In my view they haven't put the torsion bars back right, not enough spline into the backet. i'm sure other people have hit a rut or hole harder then you did and not had it happen. I'm no expert though.

Last edited:
the circlips were in place from what i remember, could be that they didn't insert the spline fully, would make sense. thanks

the circlips were in place from what i remember, could be that they didn't insert the spline fully, would make sense. thanks

A pic of the broken spline would be good...

How much of the spline is sheared off, ie along the bar, the whole spline, half etc.

Couldnt tell you krankin, it happend over a year ago. it was actually the internal splines on the rear bracket that were sheared. the splines on the torsion itself were still in resonable nick from what i could tell, but im no mechanic. still using the same torsion bars now

Just wondering is there any aftermarket brackets on the market?..i just did the same thing to mine.. but i know i had them wound up to hard..

Could be to do with after market torsion bars.

I know some (not sure about all) have shorter splines, aparantly stock is 40mm, some only have 30mm of spline. So theres less of the bar in the bracket, one would think this may make the anchor points both on the bracket side and torsion bar side weaker.

Sounds a bit silly to me that they make them this way especially as they are surposed to be heavy duty.

Latest posts

Back