Aluminium/metal snorkell vs plastic

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brock200

Reaction score
Ive seen a few 4x4's getting around with metal/alloy snorkels. Which i presume are custom made. Are these there just for looks? or do they actually offer some enhancement over the plastic? I replaced my rubber intake pipe on my SR20 with an aluminum one due to high boost warping the soft rubber, however it also changed the sound of my induction. How much are these to make in comparison to buying a plastic premade snorkel?

cheers

Brock

Plastic wins hands down.

The stainless ones look cheap and a add on, the airtec snorkel flows well with the guard.

Dave.

Agreed. Platic will be cheaper, look better and probably work better. It will flow plenty for what we need.

^ what they said.

However the piping inside the engine bay is a different kettle of fish. The heat causes plastic to deform to a greater degree, and on high boost could cause the air intake to start collapsing especially if the air filter is a bit on the dirty side.

A few people have been replacing the piping between the airbox and the turbo with mostly metal piping. It's not a bad idea, and something that down the track I'd consider doing myself.

thanks for the input so far. Now in regards to the plastic snorkels, i know there are genuine nissan snorkels, airtech, and safari (the ones i know from memory) i am very interested in the safari as it eliminates the pre cleaner which i think is a major restriction in the induction system. However the safari snorkels are ridiculously priced. Whats the Pro's and con's of the different types of plastic snorkels out there?

You got a ZD30 powered D22, if so put a YD25 snorkel on it and it removes the pre-cleaner.

Dave.

Dave,
Is that still a straight forward fit up? I'd much prefer the nissan/airtech snorkel and would also like to get rid of the pre-cleaner. Does the YD25 not have a pre-cleaner?

The Thai built D22 doesn't have the pre-filter, can one of the guys with a YD25 powered D22 post up a pic of the airbox.

A mates brother has a YD25 powered D22 and it looks identical exept it has no pre-cleaner.

Dave.

Latest posts

Back