Engine timing

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ned

Reaction score
Took Ned in to Carb-Tech to have the carbie checked out. Ended up needing to be rebuilt which Rob did for $350. When he went to do the timing he found it was way out. Rob thought it might have been the dizzie 180Deg out. NO. Then he thought it was a tooth out on the timing chain. NO
Rob discovered the oil pump was mis-timed then fixed it and tuned everything for $200. Great bloke now old Ned runs like a dream. Can't wait for next weekend up at Landcruiser park to see how he goes.

Took Ned in to Carb-Tech to have the carbie checked out. Ended up needing to be rebuilt which Rob did for $350. When he went to do the timing he found it was way out. Rob thought it might have been the dizzie 180Deg out. NO. Then he thought it was a tooth out on the timing chain. NO
Rob discovered the oil pump was mis-timed then fixed it and tuned everything for $200. Great bloke now old Ned runs like a dream. Can't wait for next weekend up at Landcruiser park to see how he goes.

Ned mate,
dont mean to be rude, or maybe I'm missing something,
but I'm curious as to how one could drive the vehicle if the dizzy was 180 deg out,
and what is a miss timed oil pump?

I'm no mechanic but I do understand how things work. The dizzie thing didn't make sense to me either but being the easiest to check he started there. I just got home and trying to find a picture of the oil pump but I guess the dizzie must be mecanically linked to the oil pump?
I forgot he also adjusted the valve clearances aswell.

Dizzy and oil pump run of the same shaft - dizzy at the top, oil pump at the bottom.

Not sure about the mis-timing oil pump bizo, but they are definitely linked.

I couldn't find any pictures and as I have never had the engine apart I'm not qualified to judge. But I saw him timing the enigine and it was way out and there was no more travel in the dizzie. You could tell the guy was not an idiot.
When you pull out the dizzie can you see the gear it runs off or does it slip into the oil pump shaft?

From the Haynes:
dizzy.jpg

I'm such an idiot. I have that Haynes book to and after seeing your picture found the same one within 10 seconds!
So I see it's not the pump he changed the timing on but the shaft they both connect to. But it does look like it slips out of the pump end to change it's orientation.
What kind of fuel economy do you get from your d21?

When I had the Z24, about 16-17 L/100km. With the new improved KA24E, 12-15L/100km, depending. Still not great, but it's a tank of a thing.

Latest posts

Back