How to get more flex?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
G'Day all here are some recent pics of my D22 just to show how little flex I have, ute currently has 2" lift with EFS torsion bars, H/D Ridepro leaf springs & Ranch adjustable shocks all round, also with Air bags in the rear. The question I have is how can I get more flex to keep all my wheels on the ground more often? Have had the H/D leaves & air bags in due to carrying heavy loads during the week & towing a Jayco camper? When unloaded as per pics the ride is pretty terrible in the rear due to no weight, thinking of setting up a custom trailer for work so then would just be for towing........What would be my easiest and/or cheapest way for some more flex or to try to keep my wheels on the ground. My mates standard D22 has more flex I think, a bit hard to tell with the rear tray.

matt-vnet-pro-albums-anglesea-day-trip-vic-picture543-flex-1.jpg

matt-vnet-pro-albums-anglesea-day-trip-vic-picture544-flex-2.jpg

matt-vnet-pro-albums-anglesea-day-trip-vic-picture545-flex-3.jpg

matt-vnet-pro-albums-anglesea-day-trip-vic-picture546-flex-5.jpg

Airbags are always going to limit the amount of flex. You have to compromise between comfort/flex and load carrying ability.

I don't know why your running airbags with HD springs?. Normally you put airbags on the weakest set of springs you can get. (factory springs with the load leaf removed works well)

the factory springs will prob flex the best unless youve got a custom flex set made up. As mentioned the HD leafs and airbags are both working against you. youd be better off going out with a load on the back

a mate use to put 200kg of sand on the back of his patrol when he went wheeling to get it to flex

a mate use to put 200kg of sand on the back of his patrol when he went wheeling to get it to flex

The d22's ride soo much better with a bit of weight in the back.
(with a canopy, fridge, 20l water and recovery gear she rides pretty good)

You'll need some weight over the rear to get it to flex.

Or you could remove the airbags and/or a leaf or 2, to soften it up.

Originall had the standard leaf springs with the air bags, but with steel tray and loaded for work during the weeks the rear springs were inverted and rode terribly,so upgraded to the Ridepro H/D springs when I got my lift kit. Considering setting up a permanent trailer for work so might leave the bags in the rear for towing more so and maybe remove 1 leaf? Also put tray sides back on and extra bars and top cage for canvas canopy to stay on permanently, then mount a roof cage/bars on top of all that to put a little more weight back on the rear. Probably mount Waeco in the back all the time & another tool box also then............

Will that do the trick for me or am I better removing the H/D leaf springs and going back to a Standard or Medium duty EFS setup or something simular?? Thanks guys for your input.

Another idea someone gave me when I am 4WD'ing is to remove the valve's of the back of the ute where the air bags get inflated/deflated to let them flex more as act like a bit of a vaccum.....

You will always hang on the airbag & shocks,
WANT MORE FLEX
Get rid on the airbags
remove the bolt from the u/ wrap bkt
undo the wrap around the leaf behind the diff
Shorten the over ride leaf to allow the leaf pack to flex up more .
Carry some weight when 4wdriving as the suspension has to push up against something
Get longer rear shocks
FRONT-- Trim upper & lower bumpstops
Cheers :cheers!:

Thanks Zordo. Are the EFS shocks any longer than the Rancho adjustables I already have?
Air Bags come in handy with towing camper when rear fully loaded & with work trailer also......

With regards to trimming the front bump stops (which is apparently illegal), jack the front end up and you'll notice the bump stops are near flattened out anyway!

Thanks Zordo. Are the EFS shocks any longer than the Rancho adjustables I already have?
Air Bags come in handy with towing camper when rear fully loaded & with work trailer also......

EFS shocks are 595 extended. Not sure how that compares with rancho.
You can use any brand of gas shock. Just be aware there is not much room at the top for the shock.
So a shock with a rubber top boot would br better .
I would do the other mods first & flex up the Navara & measure what lenght shock you require
Cheers

With regards to trimming the front bump stops (which is apparently illegal), jack the front end up and you'll notice the bump stops are near flattened out anyway!

So is doing 63khm in 60klm zone.
I said trim the bumpstop not butcher it
A trim of a few mm won't hurt but will help with travel
Cheers

Just had a look the Rancho's in the rear are 562mm.....and front are 314mm both have an eye connection at top.

Is that 562mm centre of eye to centre of eye. fully extended
Front shocks should have a spike at the top.
No need to replace the front shocks
Cheers

Latest posts

Back