Beaking CV's

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nav05ST-R

Reaction score
Hey guys just wondering is it common for d22's to break cv's. Just that my mate who just happens to drive a hilux and thinks it is superior in everyway thinks that they r prone to, but i am curious cause so far everything he was telling me before i bought my car has been a load of crap
Thanks Luke

Welcome mate, as you will find most Toyota driver's feel the need to bag the piss out of everything else on the market to justify the extra money they spent on there MAGICAL Toyota that can do anything and apparently never break down.

I have never done a CV and I wouldn't say its common. Even Josh has never broken one from what I remember.

A few people have destroyed the R180A centre, the upgrade is the R200A.

Dave.

Even Josh has never broken one from what I remember.

Hmmm. Think he might have done a few?

The CV is supposed to be the built-in weak point as it's the cheapest easiest part to replace (as opposed to the diff, transfer case, front driveshaft...)

Is your friend's Hilux IFS?

Thanks very much Dave. Yeah i thought he was just trying to make out that his car was better again before i got the car it was under powered to day i got the Nav gave him a race by second gear he was a car length behind, then he tried that his running gear was stronger and that toyota's are more reliable, i am just going to keep this to myself and not tell him just so i can laugh at him when he breaks his car, drives a little silly from time to time hehe
Thanks again dave

Welcome mate, as you will find most Toyota driver's feel the need to bag the piss out of everything else on the market to justify the extra money they spent on there MAGICAL Toyota that can do anything and apparently never break down.

I have never done a CV and I wouldn't say its common. Even Josh has never broken one from what I remember.

A few people have destroyed the R180A centre, the upgrade is the R200A.

Dave.

Ah.... try more then 10

The old hilux's never broke anything as they were that underpowered the engine didn't make enough power and torque to break anything.

Drive a 2L, 3L, 5L powered Hilux and you will get what I mean.

Dave.

i was loking at running 285/75R16 will i have a problem with that size i doon't give the car a boot full unless it is in a deep mud hole would there be a need to upgrade

My bad, I remember reading a few weeks ago. Josh it was probably you said you never broke a diff centre.

Now I think about it, I remember you doing a write up on how to change CV's. Lol.

Dave.

i was loking at running 285/75R16 will i have a problem with that size i doon't give the car a boot full unless it is in a deep mud hole would there be a need to upgrade

No youll be right. I didnt really have any issues on wide 35's till i got a locker/beadlocks and reduction gears, giving me more traction then the cvs could handle

The CV's are strong enough in standard form, but increase tyre size and a bit more grunt, with plenty of right foot you'll be busting them in any marque.

thanks for the info guys. when i go bush i just let it idle up the tracks don't really use the right foot at all out bush only on the beach

Nav 05st-r,

i've blown a front diff and a rear diff and done a transfer case chain, and my cv's are still perfect so your mate is pulling him self.
if he has a sr5 hilux ifs, start laughing cause they chew cv's all the time cause the 4wd system has the cv's spinning all the time.

if you want no problems with breaking cv's and stuff put a front lokka in, and then you wont have to flog your car to do hard tracks. and then you wont do any damage

Nav 05st-r,

i've blown a front diff and a rear diff and done a transfer case chain, and my cv's are still perfect so your mate is pulling him self.
if he has a sr5 hilux ifs, start laughing cause they chew cv's all the time cause the 4wd system has the cv's spinning all the time.

if you want no problems with breaking cv's and stuff put a front lokka in, and then you wont have to flog your car to do hard tracks. and then you wont do any damage

Thanks for the input Kickars2, just a question about those front lokka's i have heard that they cause problems when you r going down a step slope and turn at the bottom is this an issue or just more bullshit

I broke a cv last week out with boys at glass house.Does anyone do stronger cv's now that I have doubled the torque and trippled the horse power.Its going to shit me if I do a cv every time I go out

I broke a cv last week out with boys at glass house.Does anyone do stronger cv's now that I have doubled the torque and trippled the horse power.Its going to shit me if I do a cv every time I go out

As Dion mentioned early in this thread, the CV is the weak link. By putting in stronger ones's you will just transfer the problem to the next weakest component, which will be either the axle, hub, or diff centre. You will need to upgrade the whole lot if you want it to be reliable.

I think you should be looking at the S.A.S kit by Calmini.

I had a set of prototype cvs made up using stronger components, never got a chance to use them tho. Dave has them now...have a talk to him, there just sitting in his shed unused, could maybe get one and get all the sizes off it and make another set. I would suggest upgrading your centre to the 200 if your going to put stronger cvs in tho.

I would suggest upgrading your centre to the 200 if your going to put stronger cvs in tho.

Scotty's was the V6 before he went the V8 so the R200A will already be in there. The next thing I'd worry about is the transfer chain. See if you can find stronger CVs in the US for the V6 Frontier, over there airlockers are cheap and lots of them drive predominantly with their right foot it seems so stronger CVs should be on the market, plus the dollar is not too bad at the moment.

If you do find stronger CVs and the transfer chain shits itself, it's time for the SAS. It's a shame you needed to go with the auto box behind your motor, if you were still running the FS5R30A gearbox you could scavenge parts from a 2.8L patrol box to get the driver's side drop on the transfer and run a patrol axle rather than having to chop and swap an axle for the passenger side drop.

Not that you asked anything about SAS.:sarcastic:

Latest posts

Back