d22 transfer case removal

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

googie

Reaction score
Well just done another chain in the transfer case !!!! at least it sounds like it !! Not paying $1800 to fix it again :( thinking of getting one from the wreckers this time !!! how hard is it to remove the transfer case ??? Does the whole gear box have to be removed ???? i have read on the forum that the d21 transfer case chain is stronger !!! Will a D21 case fit on a D22???

Last edited:
its not easy but if you have a bit of mechanical know how you can make it easy.
first you have to raise the car on stands. then drain the gearbox and transfer case oils. next unbolt the rear drive shaft from the rear diff. then unbolt the driveshaft center bearing coupling to relise the center bearing and the drive shaft should just pull from the rear of the transfer case. then you gotta unbolt the front driveshaft from the transfer case. no need to remove it compleatly but tie it up somewhere so its not hanging on the uni joints. then unplug the 4x4 switches and remove the speedo cable module ect ect. you also have to un bolt the shift rod. then you have to remove the torsion bars from the 2nd crossmember and remove the crossmember. then support the t-case with your jack and unbolt from the gearbox and lower carefully. re-installation is almost the opposite as the removal but you do need to spend more time with the torsion bars to get them the same way you had them befor. and you need to apply a good quality sealant to the flanges where the t-case and gearbox meet to creat a heatproof oil seal. you can get that stuff from autobarn. and make sure you dont damage the machined faces of the flanges otherwise they will leak oil later. then just fill the t-case and gbox back up using like a long hose and funnel or you can buy those pumps to pump the oil back in because the filler plugs ore on the sides of the gbox and tcase. make sure you mark everything with a white marker befor you unbolt it so it goes back exactly the same way otherwise you may have problems later on. if your not confident then its best you take it somewhere to get it done.

as for you question about the d21 transfer case. i to stretched my d22 t-case chain and got my hands on a tcase from a wd21 pathfinder which is meant to be identical to the d21 navara tcase. i opened it up and the chain is 35mm wide. i havent managed to mesure the original d22 chain as it is still in the car but i dont think there will be any difference unfortunatly. but the question has been asked many times and still no clarification on weather the d21 has a thicker chain than the d22.

this is my post bellow about my wd21 pathfinder tcase with large photos.

http://www.navara.asia/d22-drive-train/3987-d21-transfer-case-swap.html

if you pm me your email i might be able to send you a workshop manual that shows you step by step how to remove you tcase. with some illustrations. its in pdf format. for use with adobe reader

if you pm me your email i might be able to send you a workshop manual that shows you step by step how to remove you tcase. with some illustrations. its in pdf format. for use with adobe reader

Hi,

I've just joined the forum and need the help of a workshop manual. Have to pull the gearbox out because third gear is shot. If possible could you send me the pdf file.

Regards
john

I think you'll find it is already located somewhere on this site, try doing a search for manual or d22 manual I'm sure it's around somewhere.

Gday i cant see/find the level or fill port for tranfer case on my D22 5 speed man Navara ,Where is it?can help

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back