'06 STX climate control

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Puss-on-Boost

Reaction score
Is there anyway to stop the A/C from turning itself on when i close the outside vent or dial over to the windscreen demister?

this feature REALLY pisses me off.....they got everything else in the car right bar this!!

any help would be great!

I agree it's a PITA and wish it didn't happen on my 09 but I haven't bothered looking into changing it because I believe it's possibly beyond the average home auto sparky to fix. It's possibly programmed into one or more different systems and not just a simple switch or wiring mod. I don't think anyone on here has spoken about doing it before but I'm happy to be proven wrong if someone does know something.

No but I assumed he meant the standard controls because I don't believe any of the Nav's came with climate control, I could be wrong but I think it was a Pathy only thing. Switching to demist or demist and vent always turns the a/c on, its something to do with the a/c always clearing the windscreen faster but like Puss I don't like it, if I want the a/c to come on to demist I'm capable of doing it myself. Mostly I use the demist and vent function and it's a PITA on a cold day when the vents blows a/c air into the car when I just want to defog the window.

Mind you I wouldn't mind hooking up a pathy CC system given that the wiring is probably already there.

Is there anyway to stop the A/C from turning itself on when i close the outside vent or dial over to the windscreen demister?

this feature REALLY pisses me off.....they got everything else in the car right bar this!!

any help would be great!

Mine is different, I can control the A/C, but I can't control the air recirc vent, it will turn off when I go to demist, but won't come back on when it's changed back.

The recirc turns off because it's not safe to run recirc air for long periods of time, but mainly because the recirc'd air is the same temp as the air already in the cabin which is the same reason they use a/c and not just normal fan forced air from outside. In mine the a/c can be switched off manually each time and if you want it to be for some reason the recirc can be switched on after switching to demist. But really it doesn't matter which way it's done the windscreen clears eventually and if not there is always the hand wiping windscreen method.

yes not actual climate control just knobs and buttons.....I've even thought about rigging up a 'master arming' switch to regain control of my own air con......recirc is actually the most efficient way to run your air con ('Max Aircon" setting sets you in recirc....well mine does) as the air in the cabin that has been past the evaporator will circulate past again and (to a certain extent) cool further. Food for thought.

still interested to know if there is anything civilized that can be done about this proplem lol.

yes not actual climate control just knobs and buttons.....I've even thought about rigging up a 'master arming' switch to regain control of my own air con......recirc is actually the most efficient way to run your air con ('Max Aircon" setting sets you in recirc....well mine does) as the air in the cabin that has been past the evaporator will circulate past again and (to a certain extent) cool further. Food for thought.

still interested to know if there is anything civilized that can be done about this proplem lol.

Further food for thought is that while it's the most effective way to cool a cabin down quickly long exposures to recirc'd air is harmful to occupants so it's not recommended to run recirc for extended periods. One such way to eliminate this is to always crack the back window an inch or so to allow some air to escape. While there is vents in the rear of the cabin cracking a window is still the most effective way to get airflow going out and will mean you aren't constantly sucking second hand air. It's a little bit annoying if you have rear seat passengers but it's still do able.

The only civilised way I know is to manually switch if off each time because there is nothing simple behind the control panel that would lead me to believe 2 minutes with a soldering iron or wire cutters would fix the job.

We were advised that between 10% and 15% of the air coming out of the vents is fresh air despite having the "Max A/C" turned on to recirculate the inside air.

Just sit behind a Hyundai at the lights for proof. When they take off, you'll still smell the piece of shi... junk. Smoke, dust (the odour, not the particulates) and yes even fresh cow smell all make it into the cabin regardless of that setting.

We've driven for extensive periods with 3 people and a little doggy in the car and haven't suffered any ill effects from keeping the aircon on "recirculate". Only time we had to crack a window open was when the burritos made their presence known and then all of us were gasping for breath, but that wasn't an air conditioning issue.

We were advised that between 10% and 15% of the air coming out of the vents is fresh air despite having the "Max A/C" turned on to recirculate the inside air.

Just sit behind a Hyundai at the lights for proof. When they take off, you'll still smell the piece of shi... junk. Smoke, dust (the odour, not the particulates) and yes even fresh cow smell all make it into the cabin regardless of that setting.

We've driven for extensive periods with 3 people and a little doggy in the car and haven't suffered any ill effects from keeping the aircon on "recirculate". Only time we had to crack a window open was when the burritos made their presence known and then all of us were gasping for breath, but that wasn't an air conditioning issue.

On mine and I'm guessing the ST too, A recirc servo motor drives a valve/hood (best description I can think of) that completely closes off the fresh air vent. From pics and photo's I've seen, the Kingcab at least has a completely different heating/aircon system to the STX.

Both fresh and recirc'd air is going to slowly kill us anyway because until we hit 20,000ks Nissan don't deem us worthy enough to have an a/c filter installed. After you've done 20,000 they consider you've suffered long enough and if you live a bit longer might consider buying another Nissan so they try and protect you.

krafty, are the stx's included in that??????mines only had the 1000km service at nissan. And i thought it was a pube stuck in my throat that was giving me a cough :)

Kingcabs and I'm guessing ST don't have the slot for pollen filters, you have to bash one out with a wood chisel if you want that feature. That's how I discovered you can't fit the ambient temp sender. I had to completely strip my dash apart to blow half the Western Australia desert out of my ventilation system. Nissan Australia wouldn't come to the party on that one as a warranty issue.

Blue Boy - yes the STX D40 Dual Cab has a slot for pollen filters but Nissan doesn't install them from new - they get put in at the 20K service. I preferred Krafty's way of looking at it though!

Latest posts

Back