Speedometer/Odometer reading after fitting 265/75/16 tyres

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FISHOLOT

Reaction score
Hi folks, just thought I would let you know the details of corrections to readings from speedometer/odometer after fitting 265/75/16 tyres last week. As we know the standard speedo is not all that accurate. I did some checks today using GPS as reference for speed/distance.

At 30, 40 and 50kmh indicated on speedo GPS was showing readings of29,39,49kmh.

At 60/70/80/90/100kmh indicated on speedo GPS was showing readings of 58/68/78/88/98kmh.

Reasonably accurate now compared to the original readings.

As for distance I only did a short 20km run according to GPS and odometer showed only 19km travelled, so odometer is reading 5% below actual distance travelled, something to keep in mind when planning a trip or for servicing.

Cheers John

Hi folks, just thought I would let you know the details of corrections to readings from speedometer/odometer after fitting 265/75/16 tyres last week. As we know the standard speedo is not all that accurate. I did some checks today using GPS as reference for speed/distance.

At 60/70/80/90/100kmh indicated on speedo GPS was showing readings of 58/68/78/88/98kmh.

As for distance I only did a short 20km run according to GPS and odometer showed only 19km travelled, so odometer is reading 5% below actual distance travelled, something to keep in mind when planning a trip or for servicing.

Cheers John

Thanks for the info Fishy.

I'll getting a set of set of 265/75/R16's come Xmas when i'm down in Perth. Probably go Cooper ST's or ATR's. Don't know yet.

What brand did you go for are they performing. Noise, grip (wet and dry) and feel?

Cheers John
Similar results to mine, but the odometer is out 10%.

Hi Merchant, ended up getting Hankook Dynapro ATM RF10 in 265/75/16.
Agressive enough for what I need, nice and quite on the road, seem to grip well on bitumen and ride very well with 38psi in them. Have only done about 1k on them at this stage, haven't had them in the wet or offroad as yet so can't comment on how they go in those conditions yet. They are a good looking tyre and so far I am very happy with them.

Cheers John

they are a good looking tread, really modern. are they LT construction?

Cheers John

I've done 120,000km on the 265/75 tyres. On the original conti's I found it 8% out. With the bigger size 2% new and 3% after a while. I was running Cooper ATR's and got 105,000km out of them. Now running the ST's and love'em.

I had a set of 265/75 16s fitted and found it corrected the speedo within 99%
my trip meter was exactly 1km out to the gps over 100km distance which gives the 1%
I did a trip to Melbourne and back so highway and town driving.

You WILL notice a large economy decrease if you relate your fuel consumption to your trip meter.
Simply put, with stock tyres on to travel 100kph you need the speedo to read 110kph which the truck thinks its travelling a lot further than it actually is so in turn your economy isnt actually as good as you think it is.
I went from 1000km a tank to 900km after fitting the tyres.
Yeah proberbly does use a little more fuel but barely noticeable.
With IFS you need all the clearance you can get Its like a midget walking through tall grass.

Latest posts

Back