Speed difference between D40 speedo and GPS

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bosshog

Reaction score
Hi all,

For those who have a GPS in their Navara, I'd be keen to know how much your speed varies between what your D40's speedo tells you and what your GPS tells you.

In my case the error margin increases with higher speeds. e.g. GPS reads approx 5KPH slower when the Navara is travelling at 100 KPH and approx 10KPH slower at 110 KPH.

As a result I am wondering if my Navara needs recalibrating as the error margin with my RTV Falcon was nevermore that 2 or 3 ks. Or is the GPS out (and the Falcon ute as well)?

Thanks

Bosshog

PS - Now done 1300 ks in the D40 and just loving it!!:big_smile:

Hi Mate,

I think you'll find that its about 9km's different at 110km/h. Its a known issue and there is a whole thread about it on here. I think from memory its under the title of speedo problems.

I will try and find the link and pass it on.

On mine it is to the nearest km as follows:

GPS 50 Speedo 50

GPS 60 Speedo 61

GPS 80 Speedo 82

GPS 100 Speedo 104

GPS 110 Speedo 105

I don't exceed 110 so can't post the rest :)))

So all in all not too bad and no real difference to other vehicles I've owned. None of them are spot on.

My STR was spot on at 100km/h when it was running standard size tyres. Now with the 265/75/16 is reads 96km/h at 100km/h.

Dave.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just checked my speedo the other day with a mates GPS and at 100kmh on the speedo i was doing 92kmh on the GPS. 100kmh on GPS was approx 109kmh on speedo, so looks like I am pushing the 10% ADR compliance.
Mind you, that is with the standard 255/70/16 tyres, so when i jump up to 265/70/16's soon it should come back into a line a bit better. Although i am hoping the govt puts the new compliance rules into play soon....you can then increase ur rolling diametre by up to 50mm from factory, as opposed to the current 15mm, then i can put 265/75/16's on and the speedo should be almost perfect or maybe 1-2kmh ova.

Cheers,

mal

I have a 2006 D40 auto diesel and run 245/70/16 tyres and speedo is same as GPS at all speeds, and same as toyota avalon and same as hand held garmin GPS, so I think its OK. I had a patrol ute, 1996,coil spring and that was out by 10%,110 on speedo=100 correct, and I never got caught speeding, so there are advantages.

Last edited:
my 07 stx is the same was alway wondering why everyone was passing me then i checked it against my mates car on the freeway and it is about 9kmh slower at a 100 and i find it is about 10% behind at all speeds so when im on a trip just use the gps which is pretty accurate checked it against one of those signs that checks your speed and its spot on.

Latest posts

Back