Gearbox drain plug tight

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris T

Reaction score
Hey guy's just going to change all gear oils this avo when got to gearbox could not budge the drain plug and that was with a sidchrome breaker bar and half metre of pipe on it. I stop then as when put pressure on bar would start to walk out of the bung so will wait till got a second set of hands to help so don't damage the bung any ideas
Chris

spray a bit of wd40 or the like around it and let it sink in. Or heat it up.

spray a bit of wd40 or the like around it and let it sink in.

Or even spend a Sunday soaking it in WD40 every thirty minutes or something. Get hold of a star type socket, apparently they're better for not slipping than hex. It was probably rattle-gunned into place.

the plugs are normally square not hex as far as ive seen. Should be a good fit straight on your 1/2" breaker bar. But the fit is never as good as it should be, id only resort to smashing a torx in if its starting to round.

the plugs are normally square not hex as far as ive seen. Should be a good fit straight on your 1/2" breaker bar. But the fit is never as good as it should be, id only resort to smashing a torx in if its starting to round.

Ah I was thinking a bolt like the sump. My bad, now that I think about it I realise the plug is a square socket

Maybe try doing it when the gearbox is hot after driving. Experience Ive had with machinery is that sometime that makes all the difference

I'd spray it with Penetrene (better than WD40), and then as DVR said get the box hot and give it a try. Also a bit of shock with a hammer could help.

chris,
sorry to hear that, the same thing happened to mine and i was not happy about it.
went to a mates tyre place put it on the hoist with a section of pipe on the socket end and still didn't budge it, we ended up denting the half inch square so now the is 8 corner's in it,
so it's well and truely stuffed, we got the filler hole open so i got a bucket and a clear piece of hose and syphoned the gear box out untill no more oil would come, i can't remember how much i got out but i know the bucket was bloody full, and filled it up.
you can try taking it to nissan and if they f&% it they Fix it. but putting to much pressure on the housing could crack it and then your up for alot of coin so i thought this was the easiest option.

Latest posts

Back