Sick of nissan Aust not giving us good engines?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kickars2

Reaction score
hey guys,

so i have been waiting for ages for the y61 patrol to get the v6 renualt turbo diesel motor and nissan australia keeps screwing us.

like every in the world except australia has that v6 turbo diesel motor in ther d40 navara and we still get the 2.5L how BS is that.

so i thought stuff it, let's stir nissan up, the main guy who deals with the press is jeff fisher, and i got his email. [email protected]
i thought if we all send him emails the idea might get passed on.

and we might get a motor worth driving.

Hey Jeff,

i have seen your name come up alot of times on website's about the new patrol.

i was wondering if there was any plan to put the v6 turbo diesel motor into the y61 patrol?

As i am looking at buying 2 new y61 4wds for work purpose's in 2011 and every review on the patrol i read says that they are very underpowered and the zd30 has a histroy of going bang when towing loads.

so my quesiton is should i wait to buy a y61 patrol with the v6 turbo diesel motor, or am i wasting my time and i should buy a v8 turbo landcrusier ute?

do the people who make the decision on what motor is going to be in australia actually read the car reviews saying it's to small of a motor for a big truck.

i look forward to your reply.

Regards

Ashley

There is probably no need to send him and email, like everyone else he probably spends his time at work reading forums. He sits there with a tally board and marks off each time he sees good or bad comments about his beloved employer and until such time as the lovey kisses huggy comments about Nissan out number the sucky hatey piss off Nissan comments he get all hot under the collar and can't bring himself to pass on customers issues.

end of the day its probably nothing to do with nissan AU but rather nissan head office.

Cant hurt can it ?

Nissan has to do something, Landcruiser ute and wagons V8 turbo diesel. GU Patrol 4 cylinder turbo diesel.

1.5L difference in capacity, they have to do something. The V8 under load would use less fuel at its not working as had.

Dave.

It has a lot to do with Nissan AU, they advise Nissan head office on market conditions.

They have previously advised them to parallel sell the GU with the new model as the loss of a solid axle in the Patrol would cost them too much.

yes/no.
nissan AU will ask for what they want, but nissan may not give it to them if they don't think there is enough sales world wide to warrant it.
the diesel patrol was probably shelved when the financial crisis hit because its not a big market for them.

The Middle East is their biggest market, hence the priority for left hand drive models and petrol V8's.

Nissan HO has already confirmed that they will continue to sell the GU for a period of time, what that period of time is remains to be seen.

Dear Ashley

A Patrol V6 doesn’t exist anywhere in the world – and, sorry, no plans for it either.

Australia is a very small market and we cannot build a few custom vehicles for only Australia – we wouldn’t be able to sell it, too expensive.

The ZD30 is a strong and consistent performer. The piston issues which arose earlier in the decade with high mileage, rough terrain operated vehicles is not a current production issue.

We will be announcing new 4WD products at the Sydney Motor Show next month. Maybe you’d like to delay your purchase decision until you see them?

Regards

JF

They would be stupid not to keep selling the GU, the D22 is still selling like hot cakes even though the D40 is on the market.

One thing that has me stuffed is that Nissan put better performing diesels in the D40 but the GU gets underpowered and outdated motors.

Stroke the YD25 out and put it in the GU or put the current CRD technology in the GU instead of 1st generation like the ZD30 is using now.

Dave.

that is fing rubbish, people buy the v8 turbo diesel landcruiser utes for 63k without aircon, they are asking 52k for a new patrol ute atm, that engine couldn't cost more then 10 grand extra.

my mate is about to sign ute to a new cruiser ute even tho he wants a patrol but the underpowered part has stopped him
how hard is it for them to get the gearbox and engine out of the d40 navara and wack it in a patrol.
do that dont change anything else there sales will go through the roof, as they are way more comfortable then a cruiser.

tweake i was reading something today on the patrol market these days and they reckon that only 5% of the patrol sold are the 4.8L petrol engine, that's a pretty big market for diesels.

worse case he get's p!ssed off by the emails whats the worest that can happen they leave us with sh!t motors and we buy toyotas

The local launch of the new model is projected to be around six months or more after the global launch in the Middle East (the biggest market in the world for the Patrol -- Australia being the largest right-hand drive market for the Nissan). And at the present, a diesel Patrol seems like a low priority. Thompson explained why to the Carsales Network at the NZ launch of the 370Z this week.

"What you see is what you get in the Middle East. They have no interest in diesel whatsoever," he said.

Due to the cheap price of petrol over there, diesel engine development for the Patrol is just not a priority. Suggesting that a diesel option for the new Patrol is imperative for the Australian market, we enquired as to whether the delayed launch of the new model here was due to re-engineering the car in right-hand drive for a diesel engine.

"There is no delay for Australia in diesel, there is nothing that's keeping us from getting diesel that's outside of any other product planning that we undertake," answered Thompson.

"[Australia] is not the only right-hand drive market that wants diesel; my only point is that the Middle East doesn't want diesel, so they're petrol only and that will never change. Diesel's important in Australia... It's just a matter of getting everything across the line..."

The problem appears to be that despite being a big market for Patrol, Australia simply doesn't take enough units to influence the roll-out of new engineering developments.

"We're a small market," says Thompson, "we have unique requirements. Same process for any car as for P61G... we will take what you see in the Middle East and continue to work towards delivering other lifecycle type improvements in the car."

Maybe it's us, but "lifecycle type improvements" is a phrase we would interpret to mean that a diesel option will not be available until down the track.

"We understand the importance of diesel and we've gotta find the right plan that works best for us," Thompson observes. The 'business case' issue for a diesel P61G Patrol is not limited to Australia, it's a global business case constraint, he adds.

"When it comes to powertrain, it's not generally market-specific. Business cases for markets are more around packaging and content, modifications."

To illustrate the importance of diesel for the Australian market, if not also for other right-hand drive Patrol markets around the world, we asked Thompson for a rough sales split for the Patrol, diesel versus petrol.

"One third petrol, two thirds diesel... maybe even bordering on 70/30 [diesel/petrol]," he answered.

No diesel for Patrol

Nissan needs to develop another 6 or 8 cyl diesel for the Patrol. They would probably outsell the v8 cruiser if they did especially if they were still cheaper than the Toyota.

I have a couple ideas for Mr. Nissan.

1. Extend the ZD30 block to 6cyl. ZD45 I6 (4.5L)

2. Put CRD head onto TD42T to bring it up to emission standard.

3. Join 2 YD25's together to make a YD50 V8 (5L)

I can tell you right now if there was anything like these motors in the GU I would buy one tomorrow!!!

I'd be surprised if our D40 Navaras could survive long with a V8 under the bonnet. Front diff woud go until next Wednesday, rear diff until next Friday and the CVs might make it through to Saturday morning.

That's in the auto - in the manual, the clutch would probably give out Monday morning.

In order to put more ponies in, they'd need to improve the rest of the drive train. A Hollinger box for those 6-speed manual drivers, or a Borg Warner for the auto jockeys, followed by a transfer case at least twice what we have now, propeller shafts manufactured by Western Star and some 9" Ford diffs front and rear should be right.

(don't take that last paragraph completely seriously)

Oh don't get me wrong, I wouldn't say no to 8 shiny ponies under the hood as long as it was done right. Nissan would be unlikely to do it given the market and how much upgrading is needed for the change in Australia.

Not sure I'd want a 5L though. You could probably squeeze a 3.2L V8 which would give you all the ponies you'd need, and would be fairly miserly as well.

I'd be surprised if our D40 Navaras could survive long with a V8 under the bonnet. Front diff woud go until next Wednesday, rear diff until next Friday and the CVs might make it through to Saturday morning.

That's in the auto - in the manual, the clutch would probably give out Monday morning.

In order to put more ponies in, they'd need to improve the rest of the drive train. A Hollinger box for those 6-speed manual drivers, or a Borg Warner for the auto jockeys, followed by a transfer case at least twice what we have now, propeller shafts manufactured by Western Star and some 9" Ford diffs front and rear should be right.

(don't take that last paragraph completely seriously)

All they have to do is use the Titan running gear. Which they probably should have done in the first place.

The TD42 is not the bees knees which eveyone makes it out to be, sure in NA application its a good old motor.

But once turboed they tend to overheat on hills, I gotta agree with what Travis said.

Dave.

I heard that they might be keeping the current shape patrol to become their 'workhorse' vehicle in the same way as the 70 series cruiser. I don't know whether this means it will only be available in a ute and not a wagon, or if it will have the new engine.

Latest posts

Back