PDA

View Full Version : recent chip comparo

philong
07-09-2010, 02:00 PM
hey guys just wondering on your thoughts of the new 4wd action magazine with the chip comparo as im looking at fitting one to my 08 d40, have you guys got any suggestions or experience with these brands, rapid, roo,more power, tunit and steinbauer? any feed back would be great

thanks phil

merchant
07-09-2010, 03:21 PM
hey guys just wondering on your thoughts of the new 4wd action magazine with the chip comparo as im looking at fitting one to my 08 d40, have you guys got any suggestions or experience with these brands, rapid, roo,more power, tunit and steinbauer? any feed back would be great

thanks phil

I wouldn't put too much weight into the comparo. They only tested chips that they were given to trial and the 'winner' is a regular advertiser in their mag (surprise surprise).

Have a look at chip-it performance chips. He sells his units for about $800 and it does the same thing as most of the others and it can be fitted and disconnected in minutes. There are many others out there that a far cheaper the then ones in the comparo and they do the same thing. More power and torque (fuel eco is the issue with these things).

I was going to get one but decided on a double din DVD player with rear camera. AND LOVE IT.

Leprechaun
07-09-2010, 10:55 PM
I have a TDC Powerbox for sale for $400. Claimed output is 148kW & 478Nm.

A spill from their website.
The PowerBox CR plus is fully digital and includes a signal variation switch with multiple settings, so there's never a problem finding the setting that's best for your vehicle. You can even turn the PowerBox off while it is still connected.
The CRplus has been programmed for optimal performance. Power gains vary depending on engine and ECU type. CRplus users can expect a power improvement ranging from 25% to 55% greater than the gains achieved with our standard PowerBox CR. Essentially, the power improvement is linear to acceleration; however, a greater boost is provided when there’s an immediate demand for acceleration. This reduces the time required to pass other vehicles, and, in some cases, means less time exposure to oncoming traffic.

Despite its potential for tremendous power improvement, the CRplus has been programmed to provide better fuel efficiency. Its unique programming increases power when needed most. During acceleration, the injection time required to achieve higher speeds is substantially reduced. This minimizes fuel consumption. In fact, independent testing revealed fuel economy savings from 10% to 15% at signal variation settings between from “3” to “6.”

The CRplus includes an extended 31" wiring harness to provide greater reach for installation. Each unit comes complete with detailed illustrated instructions and is backed by our 3-year limited warranty.

Timing is a function of the ECU's internal program. When fuel volume changes, so does timing. The PowerBox is an interface that transmits signal variations to the ECU, but these signals are based on those of other parameters that determine speed, engine load, and acceleration demand. When a signal variation is transmitted by the PowerBox, the ECU will adjust the necessary parameters as though there was a greater demand for power. In other words, the unit will provide a signal at an actual speed 40MPH, which indicates that the vehicle is traveling at 50MPH. The ECU's internal program compensates by metering fuel injections for a speed of 50MPH. Combustion is maximized, and the ECU makes the necessary timing adjustments as it normally would at this speed. The PowerBox is programmed to transmit signal variations that remain within the tolerances mapped to the ECU's internal program.

All TDC Technologies’ PowerBoxes are equipped with OEM plugs that are inserted into the wiring loom between the fuel injection system and the electronic control unit (ECU). The PowerBox intercepts the signals that pass back and forth, and modifies them to create an increase in fueling by altering the timing of the injectors, holding them open longer.

A larger amount of fuel injected into a diesel engine creates a significant increase in power and improves overall performance. Unlike the gasoline engine that provides airflow proportionate to acceleration, the diesel engine runs with an excess air flow most of the time, causing it to run well below its maximum combustion capacity. This means that optimal combustion can still be achieved despite the increased fuel injection produced by the PowerBox.

Reliability and Safety

The PowerBox will not change the service intervals or reduce the life of your engine. The performance enhancement offered by all of our units takes into account the safe mechanical limits of your engine. Remember, only the parameters of the injection timing are altered, while pressure and fuel/air ratios controlled by the ECU remain unchanged. The result is smooth and re

Jason
07-09-2010, 11:26 PM
Any advertiser in 4wda seems to do well in comparo's. Go figure.

philong
08-09-2010, 08:23 AM
yeh true hrmm well thanks il check out a few more

Chip Tuning
08-09-2010, 02:47 PM
I wouldn't put too much weight into the comparo. They only tested chips that they were given to trial and the 'winner' is a regular advertiser in their mag (surprise surprise).

Have a look at chip-it performance chips. He sells his units for about $800 and it does the same thing as most of the others and it can be fitted and disconnected in minutes. There are many others out there that a far cheaper the then ones in the comparo and they do the same thing. More power and torque (fuel eco is the issue with these things).

I was going to get one but decided on a double din DVD player with rear camera. AND LOVE IT.

Thanks for that Merchant and its true on what you say.

I can share with the forum members of the differences between the Chip It Module and our competition.

The Chip It Module will connect to 2 sensors in your existing factory plugs.

One is the Fuel Pressure Sensor (which the other Chip Manufacturer also do) ... the other one is to the Turbo Boost Sensor (which is UNIQUE to Chip It)

Compared to other Chip companies, we are EXTREMELY WELL positioned for these reasons too.

1) More features,
2) Better tunes … (not only do we address the Fuel MAP, but we also address Turbo Boost Curve),
3) Aussie made,
4) Tuned for Aussie cars with Aussie fuels,
5) Tuned by us ONLY ... no overseas tunes or non Aussie speaking 3rd party involved at all,
6) Much better prices,
7) More sophisticated board design, AND probably the biggest point ...
8) CUSTOM TUNING CAPABILITY ... WHICH AGAIN, OTHER MANUFACTURERS DO NOT HAVE.

Let me expand on point 8. When you need a custom tune with all the other Chips, you need to send the Module back to them for re-calibrating. This then is NOT a true custom tune to suit your vehicle as changes are NOT made in real-time. This is NOT so with the Chip It Module. Real-time tuning capabilities are given to every Chip It Custom Tune Dealer and adjustments to tunes are provided via email daily. Chip It “Macro” Tuning Software, provided FREE with every Chip purchase, allows YOU to download tunes to the Module within seconds.

If that is not enough, we also have the capability to run EGT Monitors, which, when coupled to the Chip It Performance Modules, monitor EGT's and re-program the Chip It Module to run factory standard tunes IF the EGT's climb too high. Again, this is unique to Chip it.

This feature is available to those that wish to produce extreme tunes for their vehicle. When left at the Chip It factory pre-set tunes, the EGT's are not an issue.

We also have 5 years warranty and 30 day money back guarantee.

If we were in that comparo there is no way that the mag could have came us with the same winner without people seeing it was OBVIOUSLY biased to the regular advertisers. Or if they chose us as the winner can you imagine the others being happy with the mag that someone that DOES NOT advertise at all win. They would be poking the mag editor for ever in a day!!!

Hope this helps

merchant
08-09-2010, 03:17 PM
No worries Rob. I'm always happy to push Aussie made stuff. Having said that, the product still needs to be fit for purpose, a good quality product and be competitive in the market.

The thing with these chips is obviously power and torque. I would love one but I put a lot of emphases on fuel economy these days because of the price of diesel in the north of WA. Until someone can guarantee i will save fuel when i tow the 1.5t van i won't seriously look at one.

May i suggest you loan one of your chips to one of the more predominant members of this forum to trial. If your chip does as you suggest then it will help you no end with the members.

From memory i think you are in QLD. I'm sure there's someone up that way who will stick there hand up and then post their views.

Thirstychippy
09-09-2010, 09:43 AM

thanks phil

the bloke up here said he would get 158kw and prove it on the dyno ,but at $1650 then he said if he doesnt get 158kw then its free............mmmm its a lot of money for a car that not even 12 mth old

merchant
09-09-2010, 06:17 PM
the bloke up here said he would get 158kw and prove it on the dyno ,but at $1650 then he said if he doesnt get 158kw then its free............mmmm its a lot of money for a car that not even 12 mth old

158kw on the TD is a bit over the top. But if he can get 158kw i can only imagine the high fuel usage.

Chip Tuning
11-09-2010, 01:00 AM
remember guys ... you can make dyno numbers say whatever you want. You want 250 kws ... no problems. The real test is back to back tests.

And that is why we gaurantee to have the best tunes (make the most power) than any other cause we tune 2 parameters ... fuel and boost.

Actually, if you ask that mechanic to call me (0412 304030) I WOULD LOVE to let him do try our chips so he gets a feel for them and is then free to give his opinion.

The only troble is that is he (and others) are only chasing big profits then he WONT go for ours 'cause our RETAIL price is only $824.00 delivered. He can charge extra for custom tuning but fitted he will be charging under $1000.00.

Matt76
11-09-2010, 08:57 AM
158kw on the TD is a bit over the top. But if he can get 158kw i can only imagine the high fuel usage.

I have a steinbauer, I haven't had it dyno'd but it does haul arse!

BTW, I have taken it off for the moment as it went into nissan for a warranty claim, and fuel usage is exactly the same without the chip as it is with the chip set on full power, with all the extra horsepower.

Jon
11-09-2010, 10:59 PM
Chip it I have been interested in all of your posts and checked out your website, I am wondering if there are any plans to release anything for the ZD30 Navara. I'm sure there is a big enough market for it, being shared with the patrol aswell.

Yakka
12-09-2010, 08:42 AM
Thanks for that Merchant and its true on what you say.

I can share with the forum members of the differences between the Chip It Module and our competition.

The Chip It Module will connect to 2 sensors in your existing factory plugs.

One is the Fuel Pressure Sensor (which the other Chip Manufacturer also do) ... the other one is to the Turbo Boost Sensor (which is UNIQUE to Chip It)

Compared to other Chip companies, we are EXTREMELY WELL positioned for these reasons too.

1) More features,
2) Better tunes … (not only do we address the Fuel MAP, but we also address Turbo Boost Curve),
3) Aussie made,
4) Tuned for Aussie cars with Aussie fuels,
5) Tuned by us ONLY ... no overseas tunes or non Aussie speaking 3rd party involved at all,
6) Much better prices,
7) More sophisticated board design, AND probably the biggest point ...
8) CUSTOM TUNING CAPABILITY ... WHICH AGAIN, OTHER MANUFACTURERS DO NOT HAVE.

Let me expand on point 8. When you need a custom tune with all the other Chips, you need to send the Module back to them for re-calibrating. This then is NOT a true custom tune to suit your vehicle as changes are NOT made in real-time. This is NOT so with the Chip It Module. Real-time tuning capabilities are given to every Chip It Custom Tune Dealer and adjustments to tunes are provided via email daily. Chip It “Macro” Tuning Software, provided FREE with every Chip purchase, allows YOU to download tunes to the Module within seconds.

If that is not enough, we also have the capability to run EGT Monitors, which, when coupled to the Chip It Performance Modules, monitor EGT's and re-program the Chip It Module to run factory standard tunes IF the EGT's climb too high. Again, this is unique to Chip it.

This feature is available to those that wish to produce extreme tunes for their vehicle. When left at the Chip It factory pre-set tunes, the EGT's are not an issue.

We also have 5 years warranty and 30 day money back guarantee.

If we were in that comparo there is no way that the mag could have came us with the same winner without people seeing it was OBVIOUSLY biased to the regular advertisers. Or if they chose us as the winner can you imagine the others being happy with the mag that someone that DOES NOT advertise at all win. They would be poking the mag editor for ever in a day!!!

Hope this helps

So are you, and if so when, going to do a chip for the ZD30??????

Chip Tuning
13-09-2010, 08:02 AM
we are looking into it 100% however we have found that other precommon rail vehicles fitted with chips do not compare when put up against our petrol injection system. So we are not too rushed to get a chip out when the other product does so much better.

CLICK HERE (http://chipit.com.au/product-info/diesel-petrol-injection-system)

It has the same benefits as LPG injection of diesels (IE helping to burning the diesel better) and increases the range of the tank

Cheers

tweak'e
13-09-2010, 09:28 AM
petrol injection just screams dodgy ! :(
i don't know about over the ditch there but here it runs into legal issues, most likely need certification which adds another cost.

it wouldn't really address the problem with the ZD30, which is under fuelling in the low-mid rpm's.

one question on the Chip It modules, can you switch between different tunes on the fly? eg increase fuel when water injection system is running ? or degrease fuel if EGT gets to hot?

blue boy
15-09-2010, 05:58 AM
extra power and torque are all good, BUT how much extra strain is put on the motor and running gear to get the extra out of it???? remember she's only a 2.5 L. when i look at getting 1 the warranty will be the biggest deciding factor for me.

95% of posts from people with chips say that there was no increase in fuel economy .
So does Gas injection come into the picture. even with the initial out lay after 2-3 yrs you might actually be better off going for the injection system. As i've heard they greatly increase power torque and most importantly fuel economy.

Matt76
15-09-2010, 06:19 AM
So does Gas injection come into the picture. even with the initial out lay after 2-3 yrs you might actually be better off going for the injection system. As i've heard they greatly increase power torque and most importantly fuel economy.

The D40 engine for sale on ebay with melted pistons was enough to scare me off gas injection, it might be a rare thing though.

Chip Tuning
17-09-2010, 01:35 AM
petrol injection just screams dodgy ! :(
i don't know about over the ditch there but here it runs into legal issues, most likely need certification which adds another cost.

it wouldn't really address the problem with the ZD30, which is under fuelling in the low-mid rpm's.

one question on the Chip It modules, can you switch between different tunes on the fly? eg increase fuel when water injection system is running ? or degrease fuel if EGT gets to hot?

Tweak'e that's unfair. You are speaking without knowing our product, service, experience, or anything about us.

1) There are zero regulations regarding diesel petrol injection (DPI). It falls into the same category as adding octane booster to your tank. IE ZERO REGS. LPG, different story ... yes it does have the need to be "certified" (which we are certifiers of BTW) because of the pressure vessels being used. We looked into it different products because we didn't like the charges licensed fitters were charging for a day's labour. We as manufactureres had reduced sales because people didn't want the high cost of ownership even though the kit itself was fair and reasonable (sub $1000).

So off we went looking at different things and Petrol came up trumps. You can find it anywhere, doesn't matter what type or brand you use. Didn't suffer from contamination like LPG, no pressure vessel thus no regs, higher calorific value (energy content) than LPG. Cleans the diesel burn like LPG. Customers could use water only (for a 10% boost in power ... and no cost of fuel) or a water methanol mix (or water/ethanol), they could use straight petrol or petrol methanol mix for better power or high octane petrol with a methanol mix. It was just the right product for the job. Then we search (2 years) for parts we liked. What we couldn't find we have made. The end result is 100% customer satisfaction.

Just this week a customer (Darren B from Vic) that had the DPI fitted to his Duramax. He said he couldn't be happier. He has LPG on one of his other cars and he said this was 100 times better. He told us that he is saving 4 litre of diesel for every 100 kms and using only 1 litre of petrol!! (This is 100% fact guys ... no BS).

I dont know about the regs over where you live, but in Australia and USA

2) About the under fueled ZD30, this is exactly what the DPI is addressing! Every diesel works with residual air. You can read about it HERE (http://chipit.com.au/) if you scroll down to where it says "USE OF RESIDUAL AIR". Remember diesels are air pumps and the govering of fuel to a MAX charge of air is what determined the power. It is this residual air that allows Chips etc to work!!

3) Yes. The Chip It module does have the ability to swap maps on the fly REAL TIME.

Hope this clears things up. But like I said, its a little unfair for you to call the product dodgy when you havent seen it or know how the process works.

We go to great lengths to make sure all our products are top shelf. 100% customer satisfaction is what we strive for and with a 30 day money back guarantee I think this shows we are serious about this.

If you look around the different forums you will see we we get a HUGE wrap.

Chip Tuning
17-09-2010, 01:42 AM
extra power and torque are all good, BUT how much extra strain is put on the motor and running gear to get the extra out of it???? remember she's only a 2.5 L. when i look at getting 1 the warranty will be the biggest deciding factor for me.

95% of posts from people with chips say that there was no increase in fuel economy .

What kills an engine is HEAT and REVS.

You can get big power from engines as long as you dont increase the red line. In fact, having more torque down low meand you DO NOT have the rev the crap out of it. You jump on the accelerator and when you are up to speed you take your foot off the load peddle and keep the revs down.

LPG does increase power but petrol injection is better still and better in other aspects as well. Read about it in my post above.

Please remember that we make LPG systems, Chip and the DPI kits so we can remain unbiased about it all as we are not trying to peddle just one type of product

Chip Tuning
17-09-2010, 01:59 AM
The D40 engine for sale on ebay with melted pistons was enough to scare me off gas injection, it might be a rare thing though.

Matt we dont know what caused this but if it was running on LPG it must have been running really high ratios and it would have been outside of the manufacturer's spec ... I gaurantee it.

Matt76
17-09-2010, 02:19 AM
Matt we dont know what caused this but if it was running on LPG it must have been running really high ratios and it would have been outside of the manufacturer's spec ... I gaurantee it.

Yeah I am sure you are right.

Martin'sD40
21-09-2010, 10:53 PM
Hi Guy's

Ok I have a D40 on gas as most of you know and have had for about 2 years now , great power when you want it and far better fuel economy than just the stock D40
When I was 1st told about the gas system I was a little stand offish as I really didn't understand what it was all about , now having driven around with the gas I wouldn't go back.

The Petrol system on the other hand had me thinking well if the gas worked well enough why shouldn't the Petrol system work as long as you didn't go overboard that is , so I installed one to my 4.2L Landcrusier with an aftermarket turbo and 2.5 mandrel system , after experimenting with the boost pressure switch and fuel pressure regulator pressures I'm now at a point where I'm happy with the power and economy gains ,I have set the boost switch to 5psi as I didn't want the system to become active before that, I'm purely hunting for economy and some extra power.

Its early days and I haven't done a full tank of fuel yet so I cant say for sure what my economy figures will be , but so far they are impressive a mate of mine took the LC 2 weekends ago to tow his race car ,round trip of 145km I had filled the tank to the brim when he came back it was refilled the same way and it took 20L of diesel giving a return of 12.5L/100k very happy with that and anyone that owns a LC will tell you that 12.5L when towing is unheard off, dove another 100k in semi hilly area the LC with no load it used 10L and I'm still doing the fine tuning with boost switch and regulator pressures

I know this
80kms @2000rpm 5th gear is the same as what my work Nissan D40 Navara sits on , the D40 is on Diesel with Gas and when you compare the two side by side the LC craps all over it for outright pulling power when you give the boot at 80kms 5th gear , it just feels like it has more grunt, & get up and go, all this from a 4x4 that is build like a brick on wheels with no aerodynamics to speak of and weighing 3.5T . Under full load last night, driving up the hills at Wisemans I gave it some, at full throttle hard driving the EGT got to 420c mind you they are steep hills and as soon as you came off throttle the temps back down to 250ish , same drive without the petrol system the EGT got to 440c and back down to 260c in all the petrol as it is being sprayed into the air steam, seams to be cooling the air charge keeping the temp down a fraction

I have had some fun with it in the short time that the system has been running surprising my mate that drives a 6.8L F250 when he didn't pull away from me as fast as he used to and me keeping up with him made me grin from ear to ear this was with the pressure set at a higher setting and different nozzle

Smiles all round you bet , I'm off for a 2000km trip next week and will be keeping a sharp eye on the economy that's for sure

Cheers Marty

Chip Tuning
25-09-2010, 02:08 PM
That's pretty cool Marty.

Its amazing what a bit of fuel does. And you're right about the economy ... most common rial vehicles will never see those litres per hundred readings.

Also, how many litres per hundred of diesel would you say you save to how many litres of petrol are you using?

I know a guy with a DMax and he is saving 4 litres/100 of diesel and using 1 litre/100. He too is really please with how it goes.

PS. dont get booked :)

4.8GU
27-09-2010, 09:29 AM
so have you done a d40 with this fuel injection yet? They just seem so rich from factory as it is and ya start adding diesel (via chip) and then petrol seems to scream dangerous.

Have you taken note of the fuel ratios on em from factory? What sort of figures do you have?
The petrol is still a fuel so your still adding fuel to an already fueled up situation.

Don't get me wrong I am not knocking you just chasing more info that is all.
I was going to get a unichip for my Navara as they can do timing and boost etc but am seriously considering just getting one of yours as the extra cost and headache with the unichip probably wont gain much.

Chip Tuning
28-09-2010, 05:22 AM
We haven't directly however we have sold them to dealers. Remember the Petrol Injection Kit was made to be a universal fit up kit so dealers can fit to any.

I would love to have done a D40 in house but not yet. Its only a matter of time :)

The D40 we accept heaps more fuel (whatever fuel). It is not running rich once on power.

It is running a little rich on initial throttle on but the petrol injection is made to come in a little after that.

BTW, you know if you block off the EGR port the Nissan will not blow smoke? The extra air now keeps the ratios healthier.

That's why when customers buy our DPF Race Pipe we include a FREE EGR Blanking Plate.

The two go hand in hand in our opinion. The Chip is just a great power improvement but we always recommend blocking off the EGR for a better bang.

Hope this helps

Downsized
28-09-2010, 12:35 PM
Hello Robert from Chip-it,

I am a potential buyer for your chip and DPF pipe.I live in Western Australia and would like to support a local product.

But!!!!!!

You guys make it very difficult.

I have rung your 1800 number twice and left a message - no response!!!

I have used the "Contact us" form on your website - no response!!!

My question (which I should not have to ask on a forum ) is-

If I put a chip on and later (out of new car warranty) put on a DPF delete pipe is the program in the chip for this?

Its great on this forum to tell readers how great your product is. But when one of them tries to contact and gets no response you are really letting the business down.

BTW I contacted a diesel place in Redcliffe,spoke to someone straight away and was happy with the info.

It makes me wonder If I cant talk to someone before purchase what sort of response I would get if I had a problem?

I am not trying to start a flaming war here, I am a genuine buyer.

tweak'e
29-09-2010, 11:16 PM
Tweak'e that's unfair. You are speaking without knowing our product, service, experience, or anything about us.

1) There are zero regulations regarding diesel petrol injection (DPI). It falls into the same category as adding octane booster to your tank. IE ZERO REGS. LPG, different story ... yes it does have the need to be "certified" (which we are certifiers of BTW) because of the pressure vessels being used. We looked into it different products because we didn't like the charges licensed fitters were charging for a day's labour. We as manufactureres had reduced sales because people didn't want the high cost of ownership even though the kit itself was fair and reasonable (sub $1000).

So off we went looking at different things and Petrol came up trumps. You can find it anywhere, doesn't matter what type or brand you use. Didn't suffer from contamination like LPG, no pressure vessel thus no regs, higher calorific value (energy content) than LPG. Cleans the diesel burn like LPG. Customers could use water only (for a 10% boost in power ... and no cost of fuel) or a water methanol mix (or water/ethanol), they could use straight petrol or petrol methanol mix for better power or high octane petrol with a methanol mix. It was just the right product for the job. Then we search (2 years) for parts we liked. What we couldn't find we have made. The end result is 100% customer satisfaction.

Just this week a customer (Darren B from Vic) that had the DPI fitted to his Duramax. He said he couldn't be happier. He has LPG on one of his other cars and he said this was 100 times better. He told us that he is saving 4 litre of diesel for every 100 kms and using only 1 litre of petrol!! (This is 100% fact guys ... no BS).

I dont know about the regs over where you live, but in Australia and USA

2) About the under fueled ZD30, this is exactly what the DPI is addressing! Every diesel works with residual air. You can read about it HERE (http://chipit.com.au/) if you scroll down to where it says "USE OF RESIDUAL AIR". Remember diesels are air pumps and the govering of fuel to a MAX charge of air is what determined the power. It is this residual air that allows Chips etc to work!!

3) Yes. The Chip It module does have the ability to swap maps on the fly REAL TIME.

Hope this clears things up. But like I said, its a little unfair for you to call the product dodgy when you havent seen it or know how the process works.

We go to great lengths to make sure all our products are top shelf. 100% customer satisfaction is what we strive for and with a 30 day money back guarantee I think this shows we are serious about this.

If you look around the different forums you will see we we get a HUGE wrap.

sorry for the late reply, missed your post somehow.

i think the "dodgy" comment is reasonably fair enough.

thats simply because your pouring in a fuel that has a lowish auto-ignition temp. LPG is around 450c which is around compressed cylinder temp so LPG is not going to auto ignite until close to TDC if it auto ignites at all.
however petrol is only ~220c so it will be igniting on the compression stroke and well before diesel is injected. with non intercooled diesel (100-150c intake temps) it can be igniting even earlier.

mixing petrol in diesel is a bit different because its being injected with the diesel so it all burns together and doesn't suffer the same issue.

with water/alcohol injection the water offsets the burning of the alcohol to a fair degree. they only run up to 50% water/meth mix on diesels. they don't live long on 100%.
i could understand petrol injected along side water injection but IMHO injecting straight petrol is risky.

the legals....depends on your local rules. i think here adding a 2nd fuel tank requires certification. understandable as there is a safety issue especially in an accident.
i would be surprised they let you guys have a petrol tank without a enclosed breather system. emission rules in AU are a lot tougher than NZ.

Chip Tuning
30-09-2010, 12:36 AM
I am really pissed off that this happens sometimes DS

I know we get super busy and you guys can confirm by the late, very late replies I sometimes post here, here this not an excuse. If it helps, I have just ripped someone at the Perth office a new a55 for the let down.

Anyways, sorry about that.

Onwards to your question:

1. Yes, it is. Tune 5.

2. you are 100% correct. In fact, how many people have just gone to the opposition because we failed to answer them? Who know is the correct answer. I just hope is hasn't happened too many times.

this is my mobile. If you dont get through on the 1800 78 48 82 as a last resort please use this: 0412 304030.

Hope we are not too late to be of assistance.

Thanks Downsized ... an dthanks for the 3rd chance :)

Cheers

Hello Robert from Chip-it,

I am a potential buyer for your chip and DPF pipe.I live in Western Australia and would like to support a local product.

But!!!!!!

You guys make it very difficult.

I have rung your 1800 number twice and left a message - no response!!!

I have used the "Contact us" form on your website - no response!!!

My question (which I should not have to ask on a forum ) is-

If I put a chip on and later (out of new car warranty) put on a DPF delete pipe is the program in the chip for this?

Its great on this forum to tell readers how great your product is. But when one of them tries to contact and gets no response you are really letting the business down.

BTW I contacted a diesel place in Redcliffe,spoke to someone straight away and was happy with the info.

It makes me wonder If I cant talk to someone before purchase what sort of response I would get if I had a problem?

I am not trying to start a flaming war here, I am a genuine buyer.

Chip Tuning
30-09-2010, 12:45 AM
OK, its dodgy. :puke:

Sorry to bust your bubble but tell that to the many that are enjoying the system already. :cool:

In fact, MARTY just posted a few posts ago saying how "WOW" it was ... AND HE'S AN AUTOMOTIVE ENGINEER :idea:

Give it time, and you will see many more.

Unless you test things how can you make comment ?? !!

sorry for the late reply, missed your post somehow.

i think the "dodgy" comment is reasonably fair enough.

tweak'e
30-09-2010, 01:28 AM
OK, its dodgy. :puke:

Sorry to bust your bubble but tell that to the many that are enjoying the system already. :cool:

In fact, MARTY just posted a few posts ago saying how "WOW" it was ... AND HE'S AN AUTOMOTIVE ENGINEER :idea:

Give it time, and you will see many more.

Unless you test things how can you make comment ?? !!

i remember the LPG/diesel guys saying the same thing and look at how many motors they blew up before they got it right. it got to the stage people where removing the rather expensive lpg installs because of the amount that where blowing up (no subside back then either).

then theres the water/meth guys which has been around a long time and they don't run 100% meth because of problems.

both LPG and meth are far more suited to the task than petrol.
all the theory points to petrol being dodgy.
only saving grace is your using such tiny amounts and fairly accurately.

one thing i would be interested to see is what happens when the engine gets a fair bit of oil ingested (ie via breather or past the rings).
the petrol setting off a decent amount of oil might make things interesting.

time will tell :)

Chip Tuning
30-09-2010, 03:27 AM
You've got to be kidding!

YES, OK if someone fits ANY performance parts and winds it up to maximum WITHOUT knowing what they are doing they are prone to go bang. Any moron knows that.

Things need to be tuned ... derrrr.

We have sold LPG kits for over 5 years with ZERO Failures. You know why? because we wirte in big bloody letters DONT MUCH AROUND WITH IT OR YOU'LL BE SORRY. (not the actual words) Guess what. People then respect it and leave it well enough alone. Or, only tuners or people that know what they are doing and measuring, get interested in getting more out of it.

Not issue with LPG is that is burns with a sharp edged carbon crystal (petrol and diesel burn with a round crystal) and it chews out the valve seats. However because the diesel is still there with its rounded edge crystal I HAVE NEVER HEARD OF THIS ISSUE DEVELOPING ... NOT EVER.

When cars running straight petrol convert to LPG (in the olden days) they needed to add adding cylinder lube, as you will recell. This is because the crysal is doing a great job of filing away the seat.

It is not an issue in diesels AND it is not an issue when you inject petrol into diesels.

Last point you mention: We sell really cool crankcase oil breather catch cans. small and high performing and again at better prices than what the opposition are offering.

CLICK HERE (https://chipit.com.au/products-page) The 3rd and the 10th items

i remember the LPG/diesel guys saying the same thing and look at how many motors they blew up before they got it right. it got to the stage people where removing the rather expensive lpg installs because of the amount that where blowing up (no subside back then either).

then theres the water/meth guys which has been around a long time and they don't run 100% meth because of problems.

both LPG and meth are far more suited to the task than petrol.
all the theory points to petrol being dodgy.
only saving grace is your using such tiny amounts and fairly accurately.

one thing i would be interested to see is what happens when the engine gets a fair bit of oil ingested (ie via breather or past the rings).
the petrol setting off a decent amount of oil might make things interesting.

time will tell :)

Downsized
30-09-2010, 01:07 PM
I am really pissed off that this happens sometimes DS

I know we get super busy and you guys can confirm by the late, very late replies I sometimes post here, here this not an excuse. If it helps, I have just ripped someone at the Perth office a new a55 for the let down.

Anyways, sorry about that.

Onwards to your question:

1. Yes, it is. Tune 5.

2. you are 100% correct. In fact, how many people have just gone to the opposition because we failed to answer them? Who know is the correct answer. I just hope is hasn't happened too many times.

this is my mobile. If you dont get through on the 1800 78 48 82 as a last resort please use this: 0412 304030.

Hope we are not too late to be of assistance.

Thanks Downsized ... an dthanks for the 3rd chance :)

Cheers

Robert I'll give you a call, as I said not into starting a forum flaming war.

tweak'e
01-10-2010, 02:21 AM
You've got to be kidding!

YES, OK if someone fits ANY performance parts and winds it up to maximum WITHOUT knowing what they are doing they are prone to go bang. Any moron knows that.

Things need to be tuned ... derrrr.

We have sold LPG kits for over 5 years with ZERO Failures. You know why? because we wirte in big bloody letters DONT MUCH AROUND WITH IT OR YOU'LL BE SORRY. (not the actual words) Guess what. People then respect it and leave it well enough alone. Or, only tuners or people that know what they are doing and measuring, get interested in getting more out of it.

Not issue with LPG is that is burns with a sharp edged carbon crystal (petrol and diesel burn with a round crystal) and it chews out the valve seats. However because the diesel is still there with its rounded edge crystal I HAVE NEVER HEARD OF THIS ISSUE DEVELOPING ... NOT EVER.

When cars running straight petrol convert to LPG (in the olden days) they needed to add adding cylinder lube, as you will recell. This is because the crysal is doing a great job of filing away the seat.

It is not an issue in diesels AND it is not an issue when you inject petrol into diesels.

Last point you mention: We sell really cool crankcase oil breather catch cans. small and high performing and again at better prices than what the opposition are offering.

CLICK HERE (https://chipit.com.au/products-page) The 3rd and the 10th items

the metal crankcase filters look good. looks like remote oil filter?? as long as the internals are big enough to flow the gas without restriction they should be great.
any chance of making a tall skinny version?

i can't remember the exact details of the blown engines. nothing valve seat related. i think just holed pistons. professionally installed to.

what diesel do you use when tuning the engines?
have you tried the ultimate? if so how much difference did the petrol system make compared to the normal diesel?

Chip Tuning
05-10-2010, 06:36 AM
Robert I'll give you a call, as I said not into starting a forum flaming war.

I was sure you wern't.

Thanks Downsized

Chip Tuning
05-10-2010, 06:43 AM
the metal crankcase filters look good. looks like remote oil filter?? as long as the internals are big enough to flow the gas without restriction they should be great.
any chance of making a tall skinny version?

i can't remember the exact details of the blown engines. nothing valve seat related. i think just holed pistons. professionally installed to.

what diesel do you use when tuning the engines?
have you tried the ultimate? if so how much difference did the petrol system make compared to the normal diesel?

The PCV filters are a custom made item which is made for this job. You're right, it looks like a remote oil filter but smaller. Its chambers are made to take large air flow.

We think these sizes are perfect to fit into most engine bays ... that's why we made them this size :)

Holed pistons are often the result of flaws in the OEM design. IE. Nissan 4.2 blowing number 6 piston. Its a Nissan issue ... not a gas issue. Nissan would sometimes repair under warranty even when it was out of warranty because they knew it was a design issue.

We use standard pump fuel because Ultimate is not always available ... do we even have it in the Eastern States?

When we go for high numers in OUR OWN VEHICLES ... ie 770 nm from our 3.2 Triton, we will always try and run Ultimate when its available.

NA_R33
24-10-2010, 07:21 AM
Hi Robert, seriously considering this. How much is the kit though? I read earlier in this thread under $1000 but your website is advertising at $2000. Any clarification on this?

tweak'e
24-10-2010, 09:40 AM
The PCV filters are a custom made item which is made for this job. You're right, it looks like a remote oil filter but smaller. Its chambers are made to take large air flow.

do they have a filter in them or do they have baffles/chambers in it ?

Chip Tuning
27-10-2010, 06:59 AM
Hi Tweak'e

Both the plastic and metal types have filters.

I have seen people running without filters in the cannisters and just had steel wool in them when the filters finaliy filled up.

So you can run anything you like

Cheers

do they have a filter in them or do they have baffles/chambers in it ?

ozzym
02-12-2010, 09:37 AM
Doesnt matter how you try to smooth it over Petrol injection is probably illegal in most states. I dont mind you promoting it but at least be honest and say up front in big letters "For Race Use Only"

I know you got called out on this on another forum and you had to admit it.

I'd suggest people call their local DOT and get the truth about petrol injection. I know for a fact they would not approve a petrol tank fitted to a diesel.

Buyer beware I guess but I'd hate to see someone get in an accident and have their insurance company walk away from them because of something simple like a phone call to their local DOT.

Chip Tuning
02-12-2010, 11:21 AM
WOW, you are a font of all knowledge ozzym ...

So is changing an air filter.

It is a vehicle modification. It all comes down to ADR complience.

In fact, ANYTHING that you do to your car which is NOT ADR approved is illegal and can be made to remove it. The thing is, stuff is not policed that heavily.

Tyres, snorkle, exhausts, if it didn't come out with it (ie ADR 79 -01) its history.

So you really are talking out of the a55.

I gotta believe you must be selling something else or I ran over your dog in a previous life.

Regarding the dyno runs between chips. You know sh1T. Easy for you the shoot at the hip. But you don't have any facts. We do. Should we tell DH's like you all the secrets.

Talk to people who HAVE our products. They will tell you what we do know what we are talking about and give people all info about how our products work.

You're just full of words and no back up.

Tiburn
04-02-2011, 12:14 AM
Hi Guys,

I stumbled along this tread while looking for info on the CR Power Box. It was installed in My 08 Diesel D40 Nav manual when I bought it second hand. I was wondering If i should take it out or not. Economy now is around 9-10km/litre. The car is still under warranty but Nissan never commented on it when they saw it.

Does anyone know if they are likely to cause damage to the engine? surely they would have to.
If I take it out will it affect fuel economy?
The car goes like the clappers if I want it to, but I worry I will lose alot of power taking it out. It is only would up a little way (adjustment on the side).

Just after peoples thoughts

Thanks

Leprechaun
04-02-2011, 02:50 AM
The CR powerbox increases fuel rail pressure. It cant really damage the engine, but it will add strain to the fuel pump. time will only tell if that will cause premature failure. Every engine is different only way to know how much extra power it is providing is to unplug it. less than 5min job.

Chip Tuning
04-02-2011, 02:54 AM
If you take it out you will be surprised how "slow" the truck is. If it is tuned properly then leave it in.

Problem is, most (nearly all) chips these days are tuned overseas.

Even the ones with aussie names and those in the market a long time are all made and tuned OS.

In fact I do not know of anyone else that is not made OS.

Chip Tuning
04-02-2011, 02:59 AM

thanks phil

BTW, has anyone read 4WD Action mag (edition 159) where they tested our chip ? :)

Tiburn
04-02-2011, 03:40 AM
Thanks for you help
I think I will leave it where it is, probably best. Hope it wont cause any problems for the car. I probably wont extend the warranty though as it may be void with the chip.

BTW, has anyone read 4WD Action mag (edition 159) where they tested our chip ? :)

reading it now, Have yet to reach that part in the Mag

BradM
07-02-2011, 01:13 AM
The CR powerbox are crap. I have had two sh..t themselves on the D22 CRD. Both went the same way and were both 2 years old when they went fizzz.

I fitted a Chipit to the CRD patrol as I stole the CR powerbox off it to replace the first one that went on the D22. I will be fitting a Chipit to the D22 also when finances allow it.

Tiburn
07-02-2011, 02:16 AM
I did not pay for mine, it was on the car when I bought it.

It certainly wouldn't be my first choice of chip from what I have seen of it's info vs other chips. If it dies then it may be replaced with another chip if I notice a difference in acceleration.

Thanks for all the resposes

KraftyPg
07-02-2011, 02:57 AM

As someone who has previously been quoted saying "You probably have to advertise in the mag to be included in the comparison" (or words to that effect) does the inclusion in the chip review infer some form of payments were made to a mag to get your chip included or do they now include people who don't advertise with them in their articles?

Chip Tuning
07-02-2011, 04:00 AM
As someone who has previously been quoted saying "You probably have to advertise in the mag to be included in the comparison" (or words to that effect) does the inclusion in the chip review infer some form of payments were made to a mag to get your chip included or do they now include people who don't advertise with them in their articles?

Hi Krafty. Yes ... payments WERE made. As mentioned, you need to advertise with them. Those adverts cost thousands of dollars ... I kid you not.

So, you dont pay for the brag ... you pay to give them the priveldge to do a review. And yes it is unbiased AFTER you get admitted to the club :)

in fact, they didn't want any extra mods on the car when they did the test. I had to disconnect things that made the car non stock (other than the Chip) so in fairness to the tester, he did the right thing.

Chip Tuning
07-02-2011, 04:54 AM
The CR powerbox are crap. I have had two sh..t themselves on the D22 CRD. Both went the same way and were both 2 years old when they went fizzz.

I fitted a Chipit to the CRD patrol as I stole the CR powerbox off it to replace the first one that went on the D22. I will be fitting a Chipit to the D22 also when finances allow it.

Thanks Brad for the positive words. Love it when people take the time to let us know that they're happy for the product.

Let me know directly when your ready for the next Chip

Cheers

Leprechaun
07-02-2011, 05:37 AM
I have ordered a chipit and Pyrometer for the Pootrol. I'll let you guys know the results.

Dave
07-02-2011, 05:47 AM
Robert do use do a chip for the ZD30DDTI non CRD ?

Going by the Pyro intergrated bit yours is the chip I would go.

Chip Tuning
07-02-2011, 10:58 PM
I have ordered a chipit and Pyrometer for the Pootrol. I'll let you guys know the results.

Thanks King.

Yep, keep us posted.

Cheers

Chip Tuning
07-02-2011, 11:02 PM
Robert do use do a chip for the ZD30DDTI non CRD ?

Going by the Pyro intergrated bit yours is the chip I would go.

We have not focused on pre commonrail chips to be honest however there will be one available in about a month if all materials (incl cases etc) make it to production line in time.

Please contact the 1800 number around the middle of March Dave.

cheers

Leprechaun
14-02-2011, 07:49 AM
Fitted the Chipit on the weekend, all I can say is WOW. Pull Jesus of the cross, the increase in low and mid range torque blows me away. Can't wait to get it on the Dyno to see the power increase.

Chip Tuning
15-02-2011, 12:18 PM
post your results KC. I would be keen to see them. How's the economy?

Bosshog
16-02-2011, 05:50 AM
Fitted the Chipit on the weekend, all I can say is WOW. Pull Jesus of the cross, the increase in low and mid range torque blows me away. Can't wait to get it on the Dyno to see the power increase.

Agreed their Chip is amazing. Give some thought to contacting Justin and getting some customised tunes emailed to you. Its amazing what he can do!

Leprechaun
16-02-2011, 07:06 AM
post your results KC. I would be keen to see them. How's the economy?

I doubt the economy will be ever as good, I'm enjoying the power too much!

Leprechaun
16-02-2011, 07:07 AM
Agreed their Chip is amazing. Give some thought to contacting Justin and getting some customised tunes emailed to you. Its amazing what he can do!

So your using a higher tunes than the folder3custom2?

Dave
16-02-2011, 07:56 AM
We have not focused on pre commonrail chips to be honest however there will be one available in about a month if all materials (incl cases etc) make it to production line in time.

Please contact the 1800 number around the middle of March Dave.

cheers

Ok cool.

Ill keep it in mind.

Bosshog
17-02-2011, 03:38 AM
So your using a higher tunes than the folder3custom2?

Hell yeah! I got Justin to email me some really high tunes. All I need now is a larger intercooler to get more air in as highest tunes just blow too much black smoke.

I am running the highest I can without too much black smoke which gives me 150kW and 530nm on the dyno.

Leprechaun
17-02-2011, 04:30 AM
Hell yeah! I got Justin to email me some really high tunes. All I need now is a larger intercooler to get more air in as highest tunes just blow too much black smoke.

I am running the highest I can without too much black smoke which gives me 150kW and 530nm on the dyno.

Nice figures. Pootrol would never stop with that much grunt.

Bosshog
17-02-2011, 11:53 PM
Thinking of getting a bigger intercooler. I should get 160kw then.

navman_brent
18-02-2011, 02:55 AM
my chip it is on its way, I also have a 3 inch exhaust on the way too. Im dropping into my house hourly to check the mail to see if its here. Cant wait to try out the different tunes etc. Everyone seems to be happy with them.

navman_brent
18-02-2011, 02:57 AM

At the wheels !?:thank_you2:

Bosshog
18-02-2011, 03:10 AM
At the wheels !?:thank_you2:
I wish!! Those figures are at the flywheel.

Leprechaun
18-02-2011, 04:25 AM
No go on a higher tune for the Pootrol, I tried but it developed a flat spot at WOT, full revs. Sounded like the engine was trying to go hydraulic, never mind.

I'm still pretty happy, By seat of the pants dynoing, I think it has better performance then the king cab did and is far more relaxing to drive on and off road.

pup125
18-02-2011, 07:06 AM
Hey KC when you put your Pyrometer in did you put it in before or after the turbo,

Leprechaun
18-02-2011, 07:11 AM
Hey KC when you put your Pyrometer in did you put it in before or after the turbo,

About 50mm after, You don't want the end to break off and go through the turbo, It's unlikely to happen but better to be safe.

Chip Tuning
18-02-2011, 07:24 AM
No go on a higher tune for the Pootrol, I tried but it developed a flat spot at WOT, full revs. Sounded like the engine was trying to go hydraulic, never mind.

I'm still pretty happy, By seat of the pants dynoing, I think it has better performance then the king cab did and is far more relaxing to drive on and off road.

we have a fix for that too KC. Easy mechanical mod = no more flat spot.

Ring the office and ask for the Limiter Disc. You pay freight, we provide part for free.

Leprechaun
18-02-2011, 07:31 AM
we have a fix for that too KC. Easy mechanical mod = no more flat spot.

Ring the office and ask for the Limiter Disc. You pay freight, we provide part for free.

You sent me one with the chip!. It's installed but I can't get any higher tunes than the folder3 tune2 with out developing problems in the upper rev ranges WOT.

Chip Tuning
21-02-2011, 09:53 AM
Folder 3 in pretty high. If you send me the tune you are using (by email) I will tweak it down and you can try that.

robert at chip it dot com dot au

Cheers

Leprechaun
22-02-2011, 02:30 AM
Folder 3 in pretty high. If you send me the tune you are using (by email) I will tweak it down and you can try that.

robert at chip it dot com dot au

Cheers

Thanks for the offer, but I think I'll leave it with the folder3 tune2, Fuel economy still seems ok, no clouds of black smoke, and really good power increase.

I'm still getting the EGR fault code being thrown, any advice on how to stop it? I'm just clearing it with the scanguage, occurs about once a week.

Chip Tuning
23-02-2011, 01:48 AM
Thanks for the offer, but I think I'll leave it with the folder3 tune2, Fuel economy still seems ok, no clouds of black smoke, and really good power increase.

I'm still getting the EGR fault code being thrown, any advice on how to stop it? I'm just clearing it with the scanguage, occurs about once a week.

OK.

EGR Fault code ... on a Nissan :shocked: :confused:

We don't get error codes on Nissans ... even WITHOUT the Chip fitted. If you have tunes from folder 3, I wonder if your MAF sensor is maxing out. Try cleaning the MAF meter with MAF cleaner ... I think you know this trick right? Let me know if you don't.

Let me know if this fixes the issue.

BTW, what is the code you read?

bjjz
12-04-2011, 12:11 PM
hey i have a tunit chip and 2 3/4 exhaust on my 2005 navara and havent noticed any differences in fuel consumption. i get on average 10 / 11kms a litre and have had them 4 about 1 and half years

Chip Tuning
13-04-2011, 06:33 AM
lucky we dont sell tuneit ;)

BTW, you know DP, Rapid, Tuneit and Roo chips all use the same chip ... just rebagded chip from germany that has the variable resistor settings on the front face.

Next time you have a 4WD action mag ... check out the close up pic of the Tuneit chip ... exactly the same as DP :)

Chip Tuning
13-04-2011, 06:34 AM

BTW you are not stopping the butterfly from opening are you? This may be where the error code is coming from. You need to blank the pipe near the cooler ... do not stop the valve from operating.

Dave
13-04-2011, 08:32 AM
lucky we dont sell tuneit ;)

BTW, you know DP, Rapid, Tuneit and Roo chips all use the same chip ... just rebagded chip from germany that has the variable resistor settings on the front face.

Next time you have a 4WD action mag ... check out the close up pic of the Tuneit chip ... exactly the same as DP :)

Thats interesting.

Wouldn't buy any of those mentioned though.

After reading alot of the info on here between you and Northside, I am alot more informed.

Cheers to both of use.

Leprechaun
13-04-2011, 09:58 AM
BTW you are not stopping the butterfly from opening are you? This may be where the error code is coming from. You need to blank the pipe near the cooler ... do not stop the valve from operating.

Yep, just blocked at the cooler, throws up the P0401 code. Did some searching, it seems that most of the CRD guy's occasionally get that code.(after blocking egr).

I get it once a fortnight on average, worse in cold weather so I wondr if the code is generated by a temp sender? My trucks hasn't even had it's first service yet if age has anything to do with it.

It's easily cleared with a scanguage, but just annoying more than anything else

Chip Tuning
13-04-2011, 11:53 PM
funny that we do each and every Navara that comes through our doors (with customer's consent and for race use only of course) and none that I know of have every come back with this issue. On some vehicles we do need to run a 8mm - 10mm hole through the plate to keep the MAP sensor/ECU happy

Chip Tuning
13-04-2011, 11:53 PM
Thanks Dave

Cheers

Thats interesting.

Wouldn't buy any of those mentioned though.

After reading alot of the info on here between you and Northside, I am alot more informed.

Cheers to both of use.

BradM
14-04-2011, 12:05 AM
I ran 2 X TDC Power box as the fist one blew up and then on queue the second one stopped as well. After driving the D22 CRD ute for 18k with one on it I can say that there quoted figures are marketing BS.

I have now purchased the Aussie product Chipit and it is one great product. I bought one for my CRD Patrol and was so impressed that the Nav scored one as well.

This chipit unit has brought the D22 CRD to life and it needed it. Great product Robert.

Chip Tuning
14-04-2011, 12:21 AM
Thanks for that BradM. ... we really appreciate it when people spend their time to give us a pat on the back.

And yes the D22 really does come alive with a good chip and tune.

Again, thanks for the feedback.

Cheers

ONLOCK
14-04-2011, 02:18 AM
Just to let you know rob that leprechaun has a gu with the 3ltr, would that make any differende with the fault code

Chip Tuning
14-04-2011, 08:33 AM
derrrrr Robert .... ummm yes ...

GU Patrol .... drill 8mm hole in the middle of the plate for no error codes.

:)

legend489
27-04-2011, 12:39 PM
Anyone running the xede from chip torque?

DieselTuner2
29-04-2011, 09:59 AM

Chip Tuning
09-05-2011, 02:27 PM
Another wire in jobbie too isn't it?

Not something the home user can plug in and drive away

Similar results to a Unichip.
It is the only other chip I know of that is a proper tuning solution, not just a cheap Diesel Pressure plugin.
It can do fuel pressure/timing/boost etc...

Not quite the same level as unichip, as it can also do injector extension as well.

DieselTuner2
10-05-2011, 01:39 PM

4.8GU
11-05-2011, 10:37 AM
As far as I know the xede doesnt come as plug and play like the Unichip does

So have they finally got off there ass and made the plug in looms available for the navara to suit Unichip? If so this is very good news

Chip Tuning
10-06-2011, 12:58 AM
I am surprised if they do. They usually sell just to dealers where they need to be fitted by an experienced fitter

DieselTuner2
13-06-2011, 09:25 AM

DieselTuner2
13-06-2011, 09:28 AM

DIRECT Dent Repair
13-06-2011, 12:50 PM
They sure do.

Huge gains in economy and power to be had by adjusting injection timing without the need to even add more fuel or boost.

So how are you adjusting the multiple injector pulses which these common rails have these days?
Aren't the injectors controlled by the ECU and the crank trigger.
By adjusting the injector timing, say opening earlier is like advancing the timing in a petrol engine or advancing the camshaft.

I thought the main thing we all want is more power.
So by injecting the same amount of fuel earlier gives us a power gain?

By creating a earlier or better combustion burn then we need to add more fuel be it deisel and/or petrol engines to get more power.

In petrol engines we add more injector timing(open longer) , ignition timing and boost at selected rpm levels.

In a deisel engine I thought our main priority was more fuel/air but watch the EGT levels as we don't have great control over combustion burning process as in petrol engines.

Watchdogg
13-06-2011, 01:27 PM
Also curious as to why a number of members posts have been deleted from the end of this thread?
There was a few serious questions that didnt get answered.

they changed servers so bits and pieces went missing lol!

So mr Chip It! have you got a chip for the zd30 non CRD yet?

I'm hanging out for the good news!

Dave
13-06-2011, 04:17 PM
^ What he said.

Scrapped the turbo idea as its to much !@#$%^& around and if I blew it. Id be !@#$%^ in the middle of no where waiting for the custom "Bolt on" turbo to arrive.

To many good option's. Northsides Unichip or Chipits chip.

DieselTuner2
14-06-2011, 12:00 PM

4.8GU
14-06-2011, 02:18 PM
Still no direct answer on if the plug in unichip looms are available IN AUSTRALIA yet.

I know they do exist but have not been made available before.

Unichips are still wire in at the moment are they not?

Bryce
14-06-2011, 07:29 PM

Please contact the 1800 number around the middle of March

cheers

Chip it
March has been and gone, and i am sure that i am not the only one on the edge of my seat waiting for your zd30 non crd product to hit the shelves with some info on what it will do better/different to other chips.
Cheers Bryce

DieselTuner2
15-06-2011, 11:06 AM

Blacknav
15-06-2011, 11:56 AM
Chip it
March has been and gone, and i am sure that i am not the only one on the edge of my seat waiting for your zd30 non crd product to hit the shelves with some info on what it will do better/different to other chips.
Cheers Bryce

What he said, i am interested to see what Chipit can do with the 3.0DI

DieselTuner2
15-06-2011, 01:05 PM

Matt76
15-06-2011, 02:24 PM
This is an interesting thread thanks guys. I am researching chip options for my new patrol and obviously a lot of this stuff is relevant. I'm sure a lot of others are benefiting too. Keep up the good work.

Chip Tuning
15-06-2011, 02:30 PM
they changed servers so bits and pieces went missing lol!

So mr Chip It! have you got a chip for the zd30 non CRD yet?

I'm hanging out for the good news!

What year are we talking about?

Chip Tuning
15-06-2011, 02:34 PM
Chip it
Cheers Bryce

Hi Bryce, call me on 0412 304030. They are available but need to discuss your options

EGT Control is still a safe guard that is provided by Chip It Module

Chip Tuning
15-06-2011, 02:39 PM
They are 200X harder to produce than a CR chip.

All a CR chip needs is a few variable resistors to lower common rail pressure, and in ChipIts case, another few to up the boost pressure.

To control the Zexel VE pump in a 3.0 Patrol you have to control the high voltage spill valve which is vastly different in design.
The main reason is, the ecu varies the spill valve frequency to control boost and timing, as the injectors are not electronically controlled.

How long has the chipit pre CR 3.0 chip been in development for?

Northside at least we DO produce. You just buy stuff in that OTHERS have produced. How do u sit there and have a shot at us for getting our hands dirty and investing the $30 to $40K that it takes to get these to the point of testing? Not the mention the time it takes to prove the product and provide 2 to 5 years warranty and all the backup support infrastructure.

Some people talk the talk ... we walk the walk.

Guys the chips are ready. EGT control if you want to as well.

Prices start at $899.00

Watchdogg
16-06-2011, 11:41 AM
What year are we talking about?

you beauty! mines a 06 model. so with your chip its 900 the price starts. when you say we can change wat it does. is this via a control in your car? if so is that extra?

DieselTuner2
18-06-2011, 12:29 PM

allycat
19-06-2011, 09:01 AM
G,day gents,

I have just had a Chip It chip installed and I am not happy to say the least. I am stranded with friends in a caravan park on the Sunshine Coast on day 2 of a Cape York trip!

Before I had the unit installed, I never had a problem with my 2005 Navara 6 speed manual, 118 k's on the clock. The chap that installed the unit to my vehicle was recommended by Chip It.

I arrived at Caloundra at 9.30am Saturday morning to be advised that my vehicle was booked in 11.00am. My wife and I set up camp at a local caravan park waiting for a call to come and attend.

I attended the Chip It recommended installer at 1.00pm. I was advised that he had a problem with a Toyota Hilux that morning whilst fitting a Chip It unit to it, and that's why he was late to start on my vehicle. Fine I did not have a problem with that.

When he conducted the first dyno test, the result was 96kw and not too much smoke was produced. However, when the chip was installed and an hour of dyno testing later and with severe smoke produced the chip only produced 118kw not the 130+kw Chip It claim on this vehicle.

The car was taken for a test run and the mechanic told me that he was disappointed with the result. He also confided to me that this was the first Navara D40 that he had installed a chip too. I took my car for a run and I could not notice much difference in power. He further advised me that he took a stock standard Navara a few weeks earlier, and thought that the stock vehicle went harder than my car with the Chip It unit installed.

He further advised that I should not go to the Cape due to the high exhaust temperature’s and that I should come back and see him on Monday for further testing, to see why the car is not getting the results that the chip should be producing.

At 3.30pm and 1,300 dollars later ($899 unit and $420 for dyno tune) , I left the premises feeling very depressed and devastated. The installer was in a hurry to take his children to the Nambour show. Fine I did not have a problem with that either. However I am left in the dilemma with how much more is this chip going to cost me to get the alleged results that the company states publically on its web site.

I am absolutely disappointed because I was advised to purchase this product by Chip It and my vehicle was running fine before this chip was installed.

Our trip to Cape York was twelve months in the planning and now it is all on hold due to this chip.

Regards,

RLI.

DieselTuner2
19-06-2011, 10:47 AM

micksnavara
19-06-2011, 12:08 PM
It is possible the boost module was not operating correctly and that is whats giving low power figures and alot of smoke.

I have seen a handfull of d40's with this same problem using chipit's.
They were still running the standard 20psi, not the 28+psi the chipit chips tune them to.

Thus power was down and because the chip has no idea if the boost level is low/spot on/to much, and it provides WAY to much fuel for the standard boost level.

Drop in tomorrow morning and I can sort it out for you mate. Just call ahead on 3481 2982.
I wont charge you a cent to diagnose and fix the problem if I can.

I am very happy to see some one on the forum has come to the aid of a fellow 4wder !!!!!!!!!!

Al
19-06-2011, 02:44 PM
thumbs up to northy

Chip Tuning
24-06-2011, 08:28 AM
G,day gents,

I have just had a Chip It chip installed and I am not happy to say the least. I am stranded with friends in a caravan park on the Sunshine Coast on day 2 of a Cape York trip!

Before I had the unit installed, I never had a problem with my 2005 Navara 6 speed manual, 118 k's on the clock. The chap that installed the unit to my vehicle was recommended by Chip It.

I arrived at Caloundra at 9.30am Saturday morning to be advised that my vehicle was booked in 11.00am. My wife and I set up camp at a local caravan park waiting for a call to come and attend.

I attended the Chip It recommended installer at 1.00pm. I was advised that he had a problem with a Toyota Hilux that morning whilst fitting a Chip It unit to it, and that's why he was late to start on my vehicle. Fine I did not have a problem with that.

When he conducted the first dyno test, the result was 96kw and not too much smoke was produced. However, when the chip was installed and an hour of dyno testing later and with severe smoke produced the chip only produced 118kw not the 130+kw Chip It claim on this vehicle.

The car was taken for a test run and the mechanic told me that he was disappointed with the result. He also confided to me that this was the first Navara D40 that he had installed a chip too. I took my car for a run and I could not notice much difference in power. He further advised me that he took a stock standard Navara a few weeks earlier, and thought that the stock vehicle went harder than my car with the Chip It unit installed.

He further advised that I should not go to the Cape due to the high exhaust temperature’s and that I should come back and see him on Monday for further testing, to see why the car is not getting the results that the chip should be producing.

At 3.30pm and 1,300 dollars later ($899 unit and $420 for dyno tune) , I left the premises feeling very depressed and devastated. The installer was in a hurry to take his children to the Nambour show. Fine I did not have a problem with that either. However I am left in the dilemma with how much more is this chip going to cost me to get the alleged results that the company states publically on its web site.

I am absolutely disappointed because I was advised to purchase this product by Chip It and my vehicle was running fine before this chip was installed.

Our trip to Cape York was twelve months in the planning and now it is all on hold due to this chip.

Regards,

RLI.

RLI I cannot believe you are on the forum bagging this guy out. Craig from Torque and Tune is very experienced and if the fault was with the Chip he would have fixed it. As I mentioned to you Craig is super competent. (I was on the phone given some tech support at 6.30pm Sunday ... btw who else gives you this service?)

When you went back there he told you he thinks the issue is with your car.

Craig told you that the car was running 14:1 AFT before the chip was installed and it was blowing smoke. At 15PSI it was 14:1. !!! That is very rich.

He even printed it out for you to see the AFR's.

Craig told me he can send me the dyno log to show this.

Then on Monday he told you that he would give you 100% of your money back even though the issue is NOT with what he does and the labour charge is legitimate.

If he is convinced that the vehicle has some issue and I for one believe him. Just like if Northside (with all his experience tells me the car has an issue I would believe him too. Experience in these things counts.

Craig gets super results on all the cars he tunes ... he get over 900 nm on 200 series Cruiser and I don't know ANYONE getting those numbers.

RLI you certainly have stooped a bit here I would think.

If anyone wants the other side of the story from the horse's mouth please feel free to call Craig at Caloundra Torque and tune. 07 5499 6488

Over and out

Chip Tuning
24-06-2011, 08:29 AM
you beauty! mines a 06 model. so with your chip its 900 the price starts. when you say we can change wat it does. is this via a control in your car? if so is that extra?

Yes $899.00 without EGT control.

With the EGT control it is $1299.00. The EGT limits can be set from inside the vehicle. This will de tune the chip when it get too hot.

Chip Tuning
24-06-2011, 09:20 AM
LOL! Talk about getting on the defensive!

Members have been asking for MONTHS when they will be ready.
I was the one to tell them, its not as easy as other types of chips
and YOU have the hide to tell me off for this?

30-40K to produce a chip? I do it with $40 worth of bits from jaycar so maybe you should start investing in better staff to design for you then?
Or putting some more time into safeproofing the chips and petrol/LPG kits that are killing enignes through High boost, overfueling and detonation!

Or maybe designing intercooler kits to go with your home grown chips that keep the 200deg intake temps that arise from running 30psi of boost to a reasonable level?

Maybe before you have a go at me next time, you should check out our website to see the kind of products that we develop in house.

Yeah I suppose I do get defensive when someone has a shot at us LOL.

Like now saying we blow up engines. We haven't had one blow up or faulter or fail or whatever other word you would like to use. And we dont over-boost. We add about 4 - 6 PSI ... thats all. This is just spin from you to try to get people off side. But your true colours now are starting to shine through mate.

Our customers know what we produce. Northside must be running scared to try a cheap shot like that. In fact we had many clients that spoke to you already tell us they dont like the way you bag out others. You slander and tell lies about others. You loose out there mate.

Mate we are not talking about back yard betty build. Our designers give support to Ford and Holden Australia so we are not talking about something we can put together in a day (or more like 2 hours)

Our stuff takes months.

Sounds like you have a lot of experience going down to JayCar for your customers. LOL

Did you let the cat outta the bag there about the stuff you flog to customers cause I know you are not talking about us.

Yes I know you are going to have another cheap shot ... just your style it is sounding like more and more.

We just let our customers give their opinions ... and we leave the rest for the others like you to cry foul!

Dave
24-06-2011, 09:23 AM
No cheap shots please.

Leon and yourself have both provided good information and I wouldn't hesitate in buying a chip off either of use.

DieselTuner2
25-06-2011, 08:21 AM

DieselTuner2
25-06-2011, 08:52 AM

Dave
25-06-2011, 09:28 AM
Nice install.

Very neat.

Do unichips have to be wired in ?

DieselTuner2
25-06-2011, 11:36 AM

Dave
26-06-2011, 07:36 AM
^ You work to hard.

Take a break to NSW and bring the chip and the wiring above and relax for a few days and then fit one to my Nav.

kempseyken
26-06-2011, 08:13 AM
Spoke to you guys at northy's the other day about a chip you can stop off in Kempsey and fot one for me as well , lol . PS some great fishing here.

DieselTuner2
26-06-2011, 08:14 AM
Might have to take you both up on that offer :D

Watchdogg
27-06-2011, 03:46 PM
Hey Northside. How much would it cost for a intercooler package for a D22 3.0 ZD30 sent down to melbourne? just curious, as I'm looking to do this soon. cheers mate.

crowe
10-07-2011, 06:31 AM
Hi all,

Just installed a Chipit module with EGT and installed myself. All i can say really is 'holy horsepower', or maybe i have been driving a standard heavy laden D40 around for too long.:big_smile:

Points to note for anyone doing install your self would be:

1. The wiring loom is long enough to mount the chipit computer inside the cab near the firewall above the accelerator pedal, saved having it out in the engine bay where in my case it will see lots of dust and water and mud. The neatest way for wiring to the map sensor is to unbolt the D40 computer and run the cables behind it and the radiator resovoir down to the large grommet at the firewall. I would be surprised if the local nissan mechanics will spot the wiring as it is all hidden and doesnt look out of place.
2. The EGT display can be slotted nicely into the dash, just remove form the box it comes in from Chipit and cut out a small section, nothing to interfere here behind the plastics, it is easiest enough to see when you want to watch it but not bliding in your face and annoying at night time. I did hae to extend the wiring on the pyro sensor about 400mm as the standard wasnt quite long enough for this mounting position.
3. Easiest (and probably most accurate) place to mount the pyro is on the side of the exhaust manifold before it bolts onto the turbo, here you dont have to remove too much stuff to access it and you can use the 1/8tap with a 12 sided 7mm socket to carefully tap into and nothing needs to be modified eslewhere to make it fit.

Thought i would post this info as it would have saved me plently of time working out exaclty how to run cables etc if someone else had done this before me, hopefully this saves time for someone else.

Currently running tune 4 from folder 2 and awesome, yet to do some pyro testing with towing and loads so will do that first on standard tune to get a benchmark.

merchant
10-07-2011, 07:37 AM
Hi all,

Just installed a Chipit module with EGT and installed myself. All i can say really is 'holy horsepower', or maybe i have been driving a standard heavy laden D40 around for too long.:big_smile:

1. The wiring loom is long enough to mount the chipit computer inside the cab near the firewall above the accelerator pedal, saved having it out in the engine bay where in my case it will see lots of dust and water and mud. The neatest way for wiring to the map sensor is to unbolt the D40 computer and run the cables behind it and the radiator resovoir down to the large grommet at the firewall. I would be surprised if the local nissan mechanics will spot the wiring as it is all hidden and doesnt look out of place.
2. The EGT display can be slotted nicely into the dash, just remove form the box it comes in from Chipit and cut out a small section, nothing to interfere here behind the plastics, it is easiest enough to see when you want to watch it but not bliding in your face and annoying at night time. I did hae to extend the wiring on the pyro sensor about 400mm as the standard wasnt quite long enough for this mounting position.
3. Easiest (and probably most accurate) place to mount the pyro is on the side of the exhaust manifold before it bolts onto the turbo, here you dont have to remove too much stuff to access it and you can use the 1/8tap with a 12 sided 7mm socket to carefully tap into and nothing needs to be modified eslewhere to make it fit.

Thought i would post this info as it would have saved me plently of time working out exaclty how to run cables etc if someone else had done this before me, hopefully this saves time for someone else.

Currently running tune 4 from folder 2 and awesome, yet to do some pyro testing with towing and loads so will do that first on standard tune to get a benchmark.

Crowe

Sounds like a good install. Can you post some larger photos and include the positioning of the box? I'm looking at getting something similar soon.

Is the Chip-It box easy enough to get to to retune?

crowe
10-07-2011, 10:20 AM
Hi Merchant,

Yeah sorry about photos, but i resized the orginals and saved them all too small so thats as big as they get.

Very easy to change tunes if you have laptop, whole process takes less than a minute

merchant
10-07-2011, 10:52 AM
Hi Merchant,

Yeah sorry about photos, but i resized the orginals and saved them all too small so thats as big as they get.

Very easy to change tunes if you have laptop, whole process takes less than a minute

Take some more :big_smile:

crowe
11-07-2011, 12:34 AM
Yeah, I knew you'd say that.

Pics attached

merchant
14-09-2011, 04:10 AM
Chip-It chip and delete pipe ordered thru Robert. Can't wait to get the thing on and see how it goes. No EGT at this stage. I'll slip that one passed he misses in a few months.

Looking forwarded to installing both. Will post results.

Racketsports
14-09-2011, 01:04 PM
Hi all,

Which grommet did you run the cables for the Chipit and EGT through and on which side? I'm currently part way into the install and am struggling a little. Did you do the fuel restrictor mod as well?
Cheers
Stewart

cgbatch
16-09-2011, 11:39 PM
Ring the office and ask for the Limiter Disc. You pay freight, we provide part for free.[/QUOTE]

Hi Robert
Where a bouts dose that little disc go

Racketsports
17-09-2011, 12:02 PM
Is it necessary to install the disc for the fuel rail mod if you don't go above tune 8? I found it too difficult to unbolt.

merchant
17-09-2011, 02:14 PM
Is it necessary to install the disc for the fuel rail mod if you don't go above tune 8? I found it too difficult to unbolt.

I got the banjo bolt off but gave up on the fuel rail bolt thingy. It was far too tight.

I still can't get the laptop to connect to the chip.:sad:

robbo123
17-09-2011, 02:51 PM
I still can't get the laptop to connect to the chip.:sad:[/QUOTE]
Have you tried it with the ignition on?

merchant
17-09-2011, 02:53 PM
I still can't get the laptop to connect to the chip.:sad:
Have you tried it with the ignition on?[/QUOTE]

I've tried with ignition on and off. Engine on and off. And still can't get it to connect.

robbo123
17-09-2011, 03:04 PM
Have you tried it with the ignition on?

I've tried with ignition on and off. Engine on and off. And still can't get it to connect.[/QUOTE]

I had a bit of trouble installing the driver software for some reason. I would go through the install process and it would seem fine but wouldn't actually install it. I think it was something to do with being a zip file? Not really too good with computers so can't say for sure sorry. Also make sure you select the right com port.

merchant
17-09-2011, 06:44 PM
I've tried with ignition on and off. Engine on and off. And still can't get it to connect.

I had a bit of trouble installing the driver software for some reason. I would go through the install process and it would seem fine but wouldn't actually install it. I think it was something to do with being a zip file? Not really too good with computers so can't say for sure sorry. Also make sure you select the right com port.[/QUOTE]

Yep, have selected the right come port and it seems as though the software has installed correctly. The device manager says the driver is up to date and the com launches when the usb is inserted.

I have un-installed, re-installed, changed com ports and still no luck. I class myself as being pretty good with computers. I'll give it another go today sometime.

killerdriver
20-11-2011, 12:22 PM
I recently purchased a d40 chip and I'm wondering why mine only has 1 black power cord which I assume goes to the negative terminal on the battery, would someone show me there install

Chip Tuning
22-11-2011, 05:55 AM
It is an extra earth that is needed.

Just fit it ;)

Chip Tuning
22-11-2011, 06:02 AM
I had a bit of trouble installing the driver software for some reason. I would go through the install process and it would seem fine but wouldn't actually install it. I think it was something to do with being a zip file? Not really too good with computers so can't say for sure sorry. Also make sure you select the right com port.

Yep, have selected the right come port and it seems as though the software has installed correctly. The device manager says the driver is up to date and the com launches when the usb is inserted.

I have un-installed, re-installed, changed com ports and still no luck. I class myself as being pretty good with computers. I'll give it another go today sometime.[/QUOTE]

Some PCs are just trouble. I tried for 20 mins on a mate lappy with no joy. I gave up and then downloaded a new set of drivers and installed (USB cable NOT connected). Then chose another USB port and bingo, it worked.

Here is the link for the new windows 7 driver.

CLICK HERE (http://www.prolific.com.tw/support/files//IO%20Cable/PL-2303/Drivers%20-%20Generic/Windows/allinone/PL2303_Prolific_DriverInstaller_v1.5.0.zip)

Please remember, we dont make the drivers ... we just use off-the-shelf software ... if they dont make the software compatible with EVERYONE's PC it is out of our hands. :(

On ths score though, we are soon going to be releasing a new set of chips that do not require PC connection to change tunes.

SideStep
22-11-2011, 03:10 PM
On ths score though, we are soon going to be releasing a new set of chips that do not require PC connection to change tunes.

Hey that sounds good!
I been on hold wanting to compare prices with your chip and that other guys "wonder chip".
Keen to power up for summer though so if you have it ready to go in the coming weeks I'd like more details?

Dozer
23-11-2011, 12:33 AM
Robert, Will these new chips that dont require a laptop be any better (performance wise) or is it just a cosmetic upgrade with numbered switchs.
Whens the earliest we can order these??

johnbritto
23-11-2011, 01:33 AM
i got one from germany no limit tuning its a primitave looking box and the program menu they send you might as well be writen in chinese but when you do spend some time sending a fey e mails back and forth you do get it right my 2.5 d22 is apparently doing 132 kw and just shy of 400 torque puts the power to the road very quick now for $150 it was worth a try i would have got chip it if i had the spare cash though

Chip Tuning
23-11-2011, 04:44 AM
Robert, Will these new chips that dont require a laptop be any better (performance wise) or is it just a cosmetic upgrade with numbered switchs.
Whens the earliest we can order these??

They will come through soon... say 3 weeks.

Dealers will have the first but we will take orders in 2 weeks.

The board will be upgraded to accept the toggles and have the extra tunes added on-board

DieselTuner2
24-11-2011, 11:30 AM

SideStep
24-11-2011, 12:48 PM
Will the tunes be tailored for certain mods?

Ie, map 1 standard vehicle = very small gains.
map2 cat back exhaust = bit more boost and little more fuel
map3 full exhaust = same as above
map 4 intercooler upgrade. 2-3psi more + fuel
map 5 high power = 25+psi + 17:1 afr?

Why? Is yours going to have that?
When is yours coming btw?

DieselTuner2
24-11-2011, 01:32 PM

Chip Tuning
25-11-2011, 03:08 AM
As always, our chips will be able to be customised till the cows come home.

DieselTuner2
25-11-2011, 01:11 PM

Docdazzler
29-11-2011, 04:16 PM
Hi Rob et al
Do you have any figures for power/torque & economy on a 6spd 2.5TD D40 running your standard Chip it tune?
Being quite frugal I drive on cruise control everywhere & normally get 9.5 l/100 km with an easy right foot!
(By the way I'm not an "old woman" on the road I race EVO Mitsubishi's..it's just that I cant stomach Diesel being more expensive than 98 ULP!..my old man would turn in his grave if he could have seen a pump price of 198/litre
a couple of years ago!)
By the way any comments on Cetane boosters..the internet is full of confusing info on the difference between octane & cetane boosters..have you come across any consistent performers at a reasonable price? Have you heard of a product called V10?
Cheers DAS

Chip Tuning
05-12-2011, 05:11 AM
I don't have these for the standard tune ... just custom and higher state tunes. With regards to the economy figures, not customers report a 5 - 10% fuel savings. However, we do not guarantee fuel savings as this is quite arbitrary. For example, I get 5% fuel savings on my car but Justin gets less because he drives his Triton like he stole it.

Also, we would never recommend a chip fuel savings alone. Think about it ... to save (say) 10% fuel costs you would need to spend $15,000 worth of fuel to save say $1500 worth of chip.

So if you were doing this for the power and would love to be saving fuel as well, then YES that would be very beneficial.

Re octane boosters, any additional boost in octane you will get better performance / efficiency but most people way up the cost versus savings and with this equation you will not come out in front as the cost per litre of the booster is more than the savings per litre.

Dozer
11-12-2011, 07:51 AM
Concerned!!!! I had the Chip it chip professionally installed a week ago just before i left for my 2 week trip around Tazy, he also did the fuel rail mod and egr block off. I was running quite a good fuel eccon of 800km out of a tank, now i'm flat out getting 650km p/t open highway from adelaide to Melbourne.
At first i thought it was my like for the power but as i've done over 6 tanks through and each one getting less and less right foot heavyness (worst then i was driving before the chip) it's still not getting even close to 800km p/t.
What setting is people finding best on there chip for 2.5 D40 STX manual.
I think he said setting 6 was what he reccomended.
To make it worst is i'm half way around Tazy and no way to change it.
Thoughts?????

Martin'sD40
11-12-2011, 08:15 AM
Dozer

Pull the back over off the engine and look for the rail sensor it will be toward one end front from memory , up-plug the chip and reconnect the original wiring plug that is on on side of the chip and deal with it when you get back home

In the past I had tried 5 so called chips and they were all crap. I'm not saying that you chip are is a bad one , but you never know

You would have been better off doing some more in depth researching on Chips or actual digital tuning modules like ..............not going to say that here.

Anyone wanting a real tuning module should look for units that have upgradeable mapping and hours of Dyno data to back up their claims , Get my point ??

Difference between a Chip and a Module

Diesel Chip
A diesel chip is basically a simple resistor which increases or decreases the amount of current that the ECU of the car sees from the fuel rail pressure switch. When the ECU sees that the current has changed, it will increase the diesel pressure to the injectors, therefore forcing more diesel into the engine creating more power. The downside to this is that the diesel is being injected at the same time as the standard injection timing is set at. This means that you will not gain any more fuel economy, but will gain power; this is known to be a fact throughout the industry. Because the Injection timing is not being changed as more fuel is being injected there is less time to burn, so fuel is being wasted.

Diesel Module
A diesel module is like an ECU, it controls each injector, it can change Injection Timing, Pulse, Width & Current. can increase & decrease the amount of diesel going into the engine by controlling the injector properly as we inject more diesel into the engine, we can change the injection timing, giving the diesel more time to burn it, resulting in more power, we can also optimize the injection timing for factory fuelling resulting in better fuel economy.

Diesel Chips have been around for a long time and are basically just a resistor, Diesel Modules are the future in common rail diesel engines, anyone considering a chip for their common rail engine would be MAD not to investigate the benefits of a module; Modules are far superior and more advanced than any chip on the market today.

The new xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx power module is able to control the Injectors, the fuel pump, boost and they also have a range of defenders that are able to control the engine, these modules are the most advanced on the market and have been developed by xxxxxxxxxx for Australian conditions.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx modules are able to hold four different fuel maps that can be custom tuned to each customer�s individual needs and also include fine tuning of up to 30% +/-.

Why does it work?
The question we are often asked,
Why dont the manufactures optimize the engines fuel settings from the factory?
... well, the cars are developed with future performance increases in mind, for example the original humble VW/ Audi 1.9 TDi engine produced 50kw, then 60kw, then 74kw, then 81, then 96kw, then 110kw from the same basic engine. The manufacturers allow for 10 years of development at the design stage, it�s a multimillion dollar project to get a new engine from R&D to production. So at most stages of development, modern diesel engines have unlocked potential.
Why use a xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Module vs. any other type of modification?
These plug in tuning systems that are developed are designed for easy and discreet use. The unit can be installed/uninstalled at will.
The engine does not know the system is in use. The unit is downstream of the ECU (electronic control unit) and has no interaction with it. The unit can be adjusted by the end user for overall power gain by adjusting the fuel up or down by upto 30%, it also has four individual maps that can be swapped at will. This gives the ability to have Four modules in one. For example, you can have one map focused on Fuel Economy, one focused on Torque for Towing, one focused on All Out Power and so on, the choice is yours. It can be removed and sold if required, remaps/chips etc have none of those features, and no additional performance either. Yourxxxxxxxxxxxxxx module can be removed from your Hilux and reprogrammed and fitted to your new Pajero, Triton, Prado, Navara etc. This is unique to xxxxxxxxxx giving you the ability to resell the module or fit it to your new car. The system can of course be removed prior to any service or repair work undertaken by your dealer.

Fully adjustable xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Module:
Max figures show the power your vehicle can produce when using a higher setting. Power adjustments are easy and optional; this is fully explained in instructions supplied.
The Power Module will be programmed with standard settings for the best mix of performance and fuel ecconomy. This can be easily adjusted and is explained in the instructions.
FAQ's
What is thexxxxxxxxxxx Power Module?
A plug in digital computer programming module for turbo diesels, which can be easily removed at any time (i.e. when the vehicle goes for a service)
What does it do?
The Power Module increases power and torque by over 40% with an added benefit of an average of 10% fuel saving.
How is it fitted?
It plugs into the manufacturers existing connectors on the engine and can be self fitted (it is designed for this purpose)

What about warranty if I install xxxxxxxxxxx in my car?
Most car manufacturers and importers don't exactly love module/ chip tuning.
Why did the manufacturer not offer tuning in the first place?
Put simply, your vehicle's intended performance is restricted because car manufacturers have to allow for models variants that often use the same engine mechanicals with adjusted power figures. As well as this many countries around the world relate their tax levels to the power output of a vehicle.
Do I get any Warranty?
All xxxxxxxxxxxx products carry a 10 year Warranty and 30 Day money-back guarantee.

Its out there you just gota look !!!

When I asked Rob if he had a module for my HD-FTE Lancrusuier engine he didnt even know that they do make them for that model , needless to say I bought elsewhere , Than there was another story I can tell you where a customer had a chit it chip fitted only to receive a max gain of 4% and the ecm light came on on its 1st road test- thats all I'll say on that one , heard many more since then with similar stories

With the xxxxxxxxx module, just to give you an example my FTE engine puts out 150kw at the fly wheel take off 40% due to loss through the drivetrain and your down to about 90kw at the rear wheels , add the xxxxxxxxxx module and what do you know, at the max map setting of 80% yes you read correctly it now gives you 150kw at the rear wheels

The mapping is set in intervals of 100rpm this is for both air and fuel ratio mixtures , timing etc. for optimum economy or power map settings

Aussie made and no bull for around 1k

No I'm not a dealer for them, but hey I might think about one day.

Marty

Rickstar
11-12-2011, 11:40 AM
Hey Marty why don`t you name the module?
I mean every second power up post chipit has been mentioned.

Martin'sD40
11-12-2011, 11:09 PM
I mean every second power up post chipit has been mentioned.

Tell how many chip devices can you get for a D40 , take a stab at it go on , it would be something like 20 odd if not more and they all claim the same thing More Power , better acc less black smoke and on it goes , now think back how many dont up the pump pressure ?

Look at it this way a Injector only delivers fuel nothing else pump pressure remains the same , If your Module is able to change the spill timing and the amount of fuel being delivered correctly through out the delivery by this I mean its not always better to deliver more fuel as more fuel creates more EGT and your engine wont like post Turbo temps of 500/550'c for long periods of time

More Boost will give you lower EGT's as you are now drawing more air

Anyway I'm over chips and have been for a very long time now
Get a stand alone digital computer in place of any chip and the rewards will be huge , no matter what any chip manufacturer tells you.

Mate the way I see these days , someone that sells chips, they should not be allowed to post Post's as every single comment will be how go it is bla bla bla

Everyone is able to do their own searches on-line if you know where to look its not hard , there are only two Modules out there that do not change pump pressure Steinbauer is one and xxxxxxxxxxxxx is the other

It took me a long time to find the module and I can not believe that no one here has made mention of it as there are D40 owners using them , guess its like this if its that good why tell others about it !!!

I'm so over in people not wanting to do their own researches and take everything on face value what others say on how good the chip is that they are using , get a dyno tune done to get the most out of every chip , not because you are told to use setting x or y every engine is different

Do a google search for Power chips , Modules , performance etc etc

Marty

Good luck with it all

Rickstar
12-12-2011, 05:46 AM
Marty I still run a steinbauer.I decided on it because it connected to the injectors and did not just up rail pressure.I also have tried a race chip pro that does like all the others and ups the rail pressure.I must say the go pedal feels like it only needs about half the normal pressure to go the same speed.More than likely the higher fuel pressure is the factor there.

If your Module is able to change the spill timing and the amount of fuel being delivered correctly through out the delivery by this I mean its not always better to deliver more fuel as more fuel creates more EGT and your engine wont like post Turbo temps of 500/550'c for long periods of time

Marty I have run 700 deg c post turbo on a stock setup which I`m thinking the D40 must be capable of.I have started a post trying to collect data to understand EGTs.

Rick

Rickstar
12-12-2011, 06:30 AM
Dozer you might want to try the fuel re set/re learn if it wasn`t done after the chip install.

Martin'sD40
12-12-2011, 06:40 AM
Rick

The EGT I quoted was for a std 1HZ engine , It all depends on how strong the engine are made to begin with some can go higher than 700'c , not my cupa tea if you ask me alloy under pressure melts around 850/900'c and if your getting 700'c post turbo now add another 100'c pre turbo and thats getting up there

As far as chipping goes at the end of the day you get what you pay for .

Marty

navarian
12-12-2011, 08:26 AM

Some of the text Marty has posted seems familiar to this product.
Supercar Performance (http://www.supercarperformance.com.au/diesel_smart.php)

SideStep
12-12-2011, 02:34 PM
Everyone is able to do their own searches on-line if you know where to look its not hard , there are only two Modules out there that do not change pump pressure Steinbauer is one and xxxxxxxxxxxxx is the other

It took me a long time to find the module and I can not believe that no one here has made mention of it as there are D40 owners using them , guess its like this if its that good why tell others about it !!!

I'm so over in people not wanting to do their own researches and take everything on face value what others say on how good the chip is that they are using , get a dyno tune done to get the most out of every chip , not because you are told to use setting x or y every engine is different

Do a google search for Power chips , Modules , performance etc etc

Marty

Good luck with it all

I thought people were here to help others that aren't so knowledgeable or mechanically minded. Now it's a secret society?
What's the point of not sharing the info?
Is it a case of, your football and no one else can kick it?

DieselTuner2
12-12-2011, 03:36 PM

Martin'sD40
12-12-2011, 10:00 PM

Bingo someone has worked it out

Good luck all :biggrin:

Nothside, the Uni chip still ups pumps pressure not good for common rail pumps as they are not designed that way you should know that ! your safe 28k pressure will end up in pump failure sooner or later ,

and no its not my Football as you call it , like I said in other posts no one tends to do their own in-depth research into what could be damaging products for your expensive vehicle

Martin'sD40
12-12-2011, 10:55 PM
Hey Northside

That link was one of the best reads that I have seen in a very long time :congrats:
This sort of info goes a long way of explaining the ins and outs chips v modules

Might have to give you a ring later

Tell me a little more about DTE

Bluenavara
13-12-2011, 03:46 AM
The explanation in that link is a bit too alarmist, in my humble opinion.

Even if you lose your mind completely, throw all caution to the wind, and just crank the chip to maximum, the fuel pressure relief valve brings an abrupt end to the party. In fact this is the very reason why results from generic fuel chips haven't been that stellar on the d40.

With thousands of dirtcheap generic eBay chips on the road, and hundreds more on sale every day, we should have seen a wave of pump and injector failures by now, but I haven't come across such a thing in the last four years on the three major d40 forums.

Rickstar
13-12-2011, 04:35 AM
Even if you lose your mind completely, throw all caution to the wind, and just crank the chip to maximum, the fuel pressure relief valve brings an abrupt end to the party. In fact this is the very reason why results from generic fuel chips haven't been that stellar on the d40.

Some chip sellers supply a washer to allow rail pressure to go higher than standard setting before the relief valve opens.Has been mentioned somewhere on the forum about this mod.Does make you wonder why there has,nt been a lot of pump failures reported though.

DieselTuner2
13-12-2011, 09:38 AM

DieselTuner2
13-12-2011, 09:42 AM
///

Chip Tuning
14-12-2011, 02:46 AM
remember, each injector has its own pressure relief. The one on the rail is just to stop chip tuners from getting higher pressures into the system. not that you would sell something to the end users this way but you can crank up pressures on these to really high levels without leaks or failures.

the CR injection system has the capacity from just off idle to delivery enough pressure to throw open the pressure limiter at the end of the rail. its just that that control valve (suction control valve) will redirect unwanted pressure back to the tank. the CR pump is gear driven off the crank so there is no way to make it spin faster than the manufacturer intended.

Good write up Lindsay. Please correct Chip It to read it has in-cabin control adjustment via laptop or switch. Also, I believe Tunit are resellers (not manufacturers). Resllers of DTE Style chip

DieselTuner2
14-12-2011, 09:51 AM

jjohn
14-12-2011, 10:27 AM
There is more than just two chips that control the injectors as well as pump pressure.
There is a company in australia that resells one of these under its own brand name to....

Here is a read for anyone interested in how they work.
Diesel Engine Tuning/Chips - How it is done. - Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum (http://www.patrol4x4.com/forum/nissan-patrol-gu-gr-10/diesel-engine-tuning-chips-how-done-76200/)

AWESOME Lindsay, Thank you for your effort and sharing.

DieselTuner2
14-12-2011, 11:14 AM

Chip Tuning
15-12-2011, 04:14 AM
I will fix it right now.
Is the incab adjustment a level adjuster? or on/off?
And do sort of need to know if it is able to be adjusted on the fly or only while either stationary or engine off?
Im updating all of the switching comments now as a couple of people have found it not clear enough the way Ive typed it.

Tuneit are definitely manufacturers though. DTE and Tuneit run different circuit boards and cases. They do look similar though

Adjust between tunes. On most vehicles adjustment can occur on the fly however 07 -> Hilux definitely need to be done whilst engine is off (Ign ON). We recommend folks to do the change on the side of the road in any case for driver safety concerns.

So, Engine OFF, Ignition ON will stop any fault codes on all vehicles.

Also the EGT control is via LED or LCD display inside cabin. This is also controlled/adjusted inside cabin.

Cheers

Chip Tuning
16-12-2011, 04:13 AM
Common rail chips DO NOT make the fuel pump work harder. The pump is gear driven from the crank so no way to make it spin faster or work harder. The CR chips make the factory computer push the Suction control valve further "open" so that it redirects more pressure to the rail rather than sending it back to the tank.

However, if someone is concerned about increased rail pressure and want a steinbauyer style unit then we have them too.

Injector piggy back, plug and drive. Easy fit up and easy to change tunes.

Price is $1349.00 + $25.00 Freight.

Forum discount (till further advised) 10% off the Piggy Back unit.

jjohn
16-12-2011, 06:26 AM
Common rail chips DO NOT make the fuel pump work harder. The pump is gear driven from the crank so no way to make it spin faster or work harder. The CR chips make the factory computer push the Suction control valve further "open" so that it redirects more pressure to the rail rather than sending it back to the tank.

However, if someone is concerned about increased rail pressure and want a steinbauyer style unit then we have them too.

Injector piggy back, plug and drive. Easy fit up and easy to change tunes.

Price is $1349.00 + $25.00 Freight.

Forum discount (till further advised) 10% off the Piggy Back unit.

This is your new product Yeh?
What does it control and how plz?
I didn't look at your site to find out, is info there?

Chip Tuning
16-12-2011, 07:16 AM
no info out yet officially John.

Dealers are getting first pick.

But the injector chip is exactly the same style as Steinbauyer (SB) ... very easy to fit, no error codes unless you dont push the plugs on correctly and easy to change tunes.

We are seeing about 10 - 15% more power than SB (apples for apples)

DieselTuner2
16-12-2011, 09:41 AM

Chip Tuning
19-12-2011, 11:01 PM
its optional North. The extra power mentioned above is not coming from boost control. The boost control will add more power again. Will come in around the same as SB with the boost control

DieselTuner2
21-12-2011, 11:04 AM

APTUNING
09-01-2012, 11:18 AM
WOW - 18 pages took a while to read but fascinating from many aspects. If anyone is interested in tunes that actually edit the original ECU program drop me a line. Many more parameters to play with equals safer better performing tunes.

Cheers

SLAC
10-01-2012, 08:43 AM
Yeah I am interested in this addition... Gotta fix the power steering leak 1st.

APTUNING
10-01-2012, 11:05 AM
I posted on this thread yesterday, a number of times and suddenly nothing there, I also posted new thread that seems to have completely disappeared - des this happen often?

DieselTuner2
12-01-2012, 01:36 PM

Jase V9X
12-01-2012, 03:52 PM
Hi guys, I haven't read through this whole thread so forgive me if this has already been covered. Has anyone had any experience with the RACECHIP Pro chips from Germany? With the Aussie dollar at the current rate they are about $340 delivered. Claimed power and torque for the STX-550 is 219kw and 599nm.
Cheers - Jase.

APTUNING
12-01-2012, 07:53 PM
The posts were probably aimed more at promoting your product than actual usefull info towards the topic mate (not to be harsh)

I like what you do (as I am a reflasher also) but the topics are made to discuss certain things, this one being 'Chip's'.

I would recommend a new thread in the general tech with info on reflashing from you though.

And if you wouldnt mind, I have written a very large article regarding 'Diesel Chip Tuning' I have yet to make a subsection regarding reflashing because so few people do it. If you want to contact me regarding this I am more than happy to update it with your info (the thread is on many forums at the moment).

Sure would appreciate an update, if you could send as a private message then that would be perfect

The reflashing - just to be clear it's not overriding current files but editing them. Many talk about reflashing but it some crap file they have found on internet. Proper tning should be reverseable and be able to be edited

APTUNING
12-01-2012, 08:01 PM
Hi guys, I haven't read through this whole thread so forgive me if this has already been covered. Has anyone had any experience with the RACECHIP Pro chips from Germany? With the Aussie dollar at the current rate they are about $340 delivered. Claimed power and torque for the STX-550 is 219kw and 599nm.
Cheers - Jase.

Jase, I am not a fan of chips period so probably the wrong person to ask, you get what you pay for in the end. Whatever the chip or company I recommend the following. Google the name of the product ( and/or company ) followed by problems or issues or faulty etc find out what chances you are taking.

Some people love them and are very happy. At best i believe they fall short on delivering the maximum SAFE performance at worst ...... well google.

Two good acid tests, money back guarantee, less than 30days a joke and do they warrant your engine for damage caused.

Hope this helps

DieselTuner2
13-01-2012, 03:05 PM

Krankin
13-01-2012, 03:42 PM
If you cant tune the particular vehicle live on the dyno and record the results and adjust as necessary, I dont believe reflashing should be used at all. Changes to the pre/post injection make such a huge difference to the engine knock level,

its impossible to determine how each car will respond to it.

Timing is also impossible to adjust correctly unless your recording minimum best torque values for that particular setup.

my feelings exact a cally

APTUNING
14-01-2012, 01:37 AM
Northside agree factory files are worse than tuning boxes but not sure our blanket comment on Vieuz files is correct. We used Vieuz a while back, directly and they were a good company, every file was customised, we changed supplier for different reasons.

However there are some, like it sounds you have up there that build up a library of files using Vieuz then run around supplying that technology to the market. I have a guy running around here at the moment doing exactly that, so far we have fixed two of his stuff ups. He charges less than I pay for files but they come they go.

End of day people will spend many thousands of dollars on things they can see but will look to save a few hundred dollars on the technology to run it. - this allows the cowboys to thrive. Guess it is hard to polish a program

Have "googled" you company you certainly get great reviews - happy tuning

Chip Tuning
23-10-2012, 12:50 PM
trying to subscribe ... mods can delete