ARB Air Locker

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nisnav40

Reaction score
Hi Guys ,
This is my first post and am after some feed back on the value and benifits of the ARB Diff lock.
Will also be looking at fitting the larger compressor and Volume Tank for Tyre inflation etc .
Is the ARB LOCKER worth sacrificing the LSD for the abilty to lock the rear diff.

That depends on the LSD, some lock up well and some don't, have you found anywhere you haven't been able to get yet because of a lack of traction? A locker is good, but without extra ground clearance it's probably a waste, if the ruts are deep enough to require a locker to get over/through them you will probably find yourself bottoming out different parts of the car a lot of the time as well.

Hi Shonky,
I have a lift kit fitted along with winch etc.
Am just after some views on if it would be worth the outlay.
I realize it depaends on your routes etc but does it offer a substantial gain in traction .
I tow a large camper and am planning a lot of trips away this year .

are you looking at locking front and back diff? the rear i wouldnt worry with because the rear suspension has plenty of play as it is. lock the front by all means, as the IFS has bugger all play and up-down movement.

yeh i was going to say the same thing as d22 king. i dont think its necessary to lock the rear because you have lsd. but deffinatly lock the front.

yeah from memory there isnt one. Locker is always going to be better then LSD, only prob being when your not locked your open.

It depends on what kind fo driving and 4wding you would like to do.
i have an air locker in the rear and the lsd in the d22 is really good, but compared to the locker it's nothing.
one of the thing's to think about is are you flogging your truck to get through the tracks that you want to go through? i used to do it ah.
but with the locker it just crawls through most stuff.
there's video's of me and jimmy doing camp road lifting front and rear wheel's up and the car still drive's up there fine because of the locker.
my opionon the locker is wicked ah.

I've decided to fit the ARB air locker and it will go into my D40 this week. There is NO front locker option for the D40. I went for the locker and decided to "sacrifice" (don't think this is the right term) the LSD because I just don't wish to flog the vehicle when off road in loose shaley/rocky conditions. You might like to get the current edition of 4WD Action - the DVD that comes with it has an interesting discussion about lockers. While the vehicles in the video are 40 series yotas the discussion is of a general nature and applicable to all vehicles.

Hi Pete22,
Thanks for the info.
Please keep me updated as to how it goes after you have it fittted.
Are you having the larger comp fitted?
I will be getting it done asap.
I have been quoted $2300 fitted . This includes Larger comp, medium volume tank to under floor drivers side with tyre inflation kit and outlets.
I have Blackwidow in rear and will have Comp fitted to left side behind wheel arch with vent through to outside for oil blow off. I have dual battery on Right side below fridge slide.
Tyre inlation outlet to rear under Kaymar rear bar.
Cheers Nisnav40.

Last edited:
I've decided to fit the ARB air locker and it will go into my D40 this week. There is NO front locker option for the D40.

Just like there is no option for a D22 front locker?. where theres a will theres a way, plenty of D40s in the states with front lockers that are still IFS. Someones gota be the first to do it!

Just like there is no option for a D22 front locker?. where theres a will theres a way, plenty of D40s in the states with front lockers that are still IFS. Someones gota be the first to do it!

Joshy - there is an front auto lokka available for the D22 from 4WD Systems in SA. Came on the market 2-3 months ago I belive. But.......alas.....no air locker.

Hi Pete22,
Thanks for the info.
Please keep me updated as to how it goes after you have it fittted.
Are you having the larger comp fitted?
I will be getting it done asap.
I have been quoted $2300 fitted . This includes Larger comp, medium volume tank to under floor drivers side with tyre inflation kit and outlets.
I have Blackwidow in rear and will have Comp fitted to left side behind wheel arch with vent through to outside for oil blow off. I have dual battery on Right side below fridge slide.
Tyre inlation outlet to rear under Kaymar rear bar.
Cheers Nisnav40.

Nisnav40 - I'm using my old ARB compressor - couldn't see the point in laying out another $400 for something I have that will do the job just fine. I already have the tyre inflation kit as well. Thinking the compressor will go under the passenger seat.

Joshy - there is an front auto lokka available for the D22 from 4WD Systems in SA. Came on the market 2-3 months ago I belive. But.......alas.....no air locker.

AFAIK, noone that preorderd it has got it yet. Id be annoyed. But im enjoying still being the only one :big_smile:

A guy at ARB told me the other day the reason they dont make a locker for the front of the D40 is simply because the internals are not strong enough to handle it. Not sure how true it is, we all know that salesmen wouldnt lie Haha

thats the same reason for the d22. But dont be suprised for both of them to get lockers in the near future. Both are becoming more popular among 4wders.

Latest posts

Back