Intercoolers??

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mick-J

Reaction score
Hi fellow Navarerians, I am thinking of fitting an Intercooler to The Wombat (D22 3.0ltr TD) but can't find much on what brand, where from or price others are using. Price wise, I don't want to have to sell the wife and kids (the Monaro stays). I have seen kits for $1,250. just need info from anyone who has recently fitted one. I want to go front mount. Cheers Mick..

I have a ASE intercooler on mine.

SimonK had his modified so you dont have to cut a hole in the bullbar mount.

When Simon is back on Ill have to get him to put up pics of the modified intercooler.

Dave.

Yeah thanks dave, I saw your picks, wasn't to keen on the pipes hanging down if I can avoid it, I know I'd hole one for sure. After upsizing the tyres the economy has gone out the window.. I have just done the egr mod, next is the intercooler & exhaust. I have enough info on exhausts thanks to you guys, just collecting as much as I can on coolers. Cheers Mick.

Yeah ok, Is there any particular model eg. AU, BA? Don't know about putting a FORD part in though, it's running good at the moment......:sarcastic:

I too am looking at 'cooling my ZD30. Thinking of going the water-air route, as:

1.Don't want to chop my pretty bonnet.
2. Found with air-air setup, that it didn't really benefit when taking off at lights etc, mostly beneficial out on the open road, once the air flowed through it.

I've seen the PWR barrel setups for $430, which is pretty good value I reckon. Also seen combined trans cooler and thermo fan for $300.

I reckon you could have the pump, hoses and bits and still come in under $1200 all fitted.

Has anyone hear done water to air setups?

By the way, for those who are set on a top mount air-air setup, maybe look at a standard Subaru WRX cooler. They are a good flowing core, is compact, and has the outlets in the right spot for a ZD30 from memory.

I fitted a WRX STi/ Liberty B4 twin ilnet 'cooler to my Surf, and it worked well, but needed a bodylift to fit it properly.....

Cheers,

Pat

Last edited:
There is a top mount kit on the market.

I have hit 3 kangeroos with my Nav since the bullbars was modded and its still holding up.

Dave.

there are some good water to air kits out there,less issues with mounting ect and you wont have the turbo lag/flat spot that frontmounts produce
if you have shitloads of hp, where the intercooler mounts isnt really an issue, but with low hp diesels you are better off with a topmount or air to water
the IMPORTED subaru legacy mid 90's (not liberty ) came out with a top mount water to air i/cooler
great i/cooler for a small diesel if you can find one

Intercooler Kits

*Custom Heat Exchanger Barrel designed to specifically match to the engine size and flow requirements

*Secondary Alloy Radiator - only about 1"thick, so it is easily mounted, without interfering with other aftermarket accessories.

Last edited:
Not hard to do a custom job. There are plenty of pictures going around that help out... Get on the drawing board and work out what Aluminium bends/silicon bends you need and pipe away one weekend. I found the best way was for a front mount and had to cut a hole in the bullbar mount. Best place for airflow and ive crossed creeks, been offroad alot and its all still held together and nothing moved or been hit... Had to slightly move the power steering cooler about 10cm and it doesnt interfere with any of the radiator cooling... Makes the ZD30 feel like consistant power day or night and keeps things cooler.. I guess it saves your motor if the turbo sh*ts itself one day..

I fitted a Cross Country top mount last year - And to be honest, if I was to do it again I'd go for something different. The reasons are as follows:

1) I don't think I gained anything from it (except a catching mitt for the hand grenade, sorry, turbo).

2) The fit is a bit shitty - vibrates against the bonnet.

3) Accessing oil & air filters is now a chore 'cause the cooler sits in the way.

4) The fan is held beneath the cooler by small screws with captive nuts held in a plastic housing - always coming loose, fan hits the cooler etc. I have to pull the whole cooler out to fix it.

In defense - well, the guys at Cross Country are helpful enough!

Back