Batteries Again

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
K

KraftyPg

This isn't a rant it's more of a warning to those needing information about battery set ups but I couldn't make up my mind where else to put it.

I picked up a copy of 4WD action number 148 from my doctor the other day and thought the topic on the cover titled "Battery Tech" might have been vaguely interesting. Low and behold I open it up and was presented with "Batteries ain't batteries, so let's cut through the marketing hype and explain battery tech once and for all."

Sounded almost readable!

Please for the love of God anyone who wants information on batteries do not read this garbage. Sure they were factual about how a battery works but even wikipedia can do that. As for explaining tech once an for all, they obviously have a different meaning of once an for all. I know they don't have a hundred pages to dedicate to such topics but I'd still expect more from a magazine that claims it's Australia's Number 1.

The information on jump starting is vaguely informative for those that have no idea but the rest of it is really just an extended dictionary meaning of the battery types. The devote 4 paragraphs to charging a battery and 3 to which battery is right for you. But in conclusion they are sure they have given the reader enough information to never suffer from a flat battery again. If only it was that easy.

Even if there are times on this forum where users disagree with each others theories on battery setup atleast the information here is usable, informative and explained. The 4wd action article wasn't even a decent advert!

I wouldn't mind a copy of the 4wdA lexicon - there would be some interesting definitions for:

"Definitive answer" - neither is better than the other, it really depends what you're using it for, make up your own mind, etc.

"In-depth" - word count over 1500

"God" - John Rooth

And yet, I have a subscription. They're better than every other 4x4 mag, but not perfect.

well, i guess i wont be reading the article then Krafty - it looks like i need two new batteries for my boat ... i'll do my research for batteries the old fashioned way (that is ask my friends what they use in their boats ...)

3 aa's and a 9 volt should be ok, will get you more than 12 volts and be very compact and wont matter how you mount them.

oops sorry for a minute there I thought I was writing for 4wd Action.

hmmm ... i dont think those batteries will last long with the flood lights i have mounted for night fishing ... probably last about 30 seconds. (if that)

I just spoke to roothy and you're right, the voltage drop on the cable from front to back would be too much, we'll set up another battery pack, it's only a 7.2v racing pack but it charges quickly so you wont be without lights for long each time.

your probably assuming i'm gonna skull drag a fish into the boat in less than 30 sec's, b4 i run out of light ...

how am i to photograph said fish, and pacify it when i run out of light ?

cant you arrange for a few 7.2v packs at least, to give me at least 40 seconds of light? and would they need to be in parralel or in series to work best ?

Nah we wire them up single, the change over time gives you a rest while winding the fish in.

As for photographing doesn't your box brownie have a flash?

They know what there talking about.

Like all the D22 articles that are just bits of GU info, the ZD30 is a 6 cylinder and the ZD30 is best backed up in the D22 with the auto transmission.

Dave.

Atleast there is plenty of ads in each magazine, if it was just filled with quality stories it wouldn't even be fit for a trip to the bog!

^ lol.

I haven't bought a 4wdmonthly mag in ages, there is only so many times you wanna read about a Hilux with 33's or 35's.

Dave.

My doctor sticks them in his waiting room and I take them home when they get too out of date, well I take them when I'm there and tell him they are out of date and he doesn't care. I wouldn't pay money for them myself, as it is I think he buys them from the newsagent and gets two for the price of one in a bag because I seem to get multiples most times I go there.

Latest posts

Back