D40 rear diff pinion oil seal

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aSKMEAGAIN

Reaction score
Hi I am having trouble getting an after market pinion oil seal for the rear diff, the local dealer wants $100 which is daylight robbery. Does anyone know if you can get an aftermarket seal?? if so where from and how much. I'm in WA so a local source would be preferred, I have tried Repco and Coventrys, Statewide Bearings can possibly supply one if they have an original to go off.

2006 D40 Auto :suicide2:

You could buy one, take it to a seal supplier to get a match, then take the original back for a refund.
I've never pulled a D40 diff a part but most diffs require a crush sleeve to set the pinion bearing preload. You may have to buy a total service kit???

Hm might try that, though walking in and getting one straight over the counter would be easier.
All diffs have the crush problem, if you do it right and the seal hasn't been replaced a few times it should not be a problem.

For future reference :)
I have just bought an oil seal from my local spare parts store for $24.95 ($99 from nissan) part number is 403067Y
Hope this helps someone in the future.

You can remove the flange without needing to touch anything inside the diff, it wont upset anything, but honestly dont bother using aftermarket junk they leak in no time at all, same as rocker cover gaskets.
Some things its just better to spend the money and do it once.

I'll be up for doing this soon as Nissan just noticed it leaking. They quoted $650 to replace the seal and that was while the car was in for a diff oil change anyway as part of the 80k service.

Rear diff seal

Hey you blokes, I got leaky diff so I bough a seal from eBay for under 20$.
I bout the RTV sealant and got ready.
Found out that the socket was 33mm not 32mm. So had to buy one. Then it didn't fit in the hole because the hole tappers inwards. So I ground the wall thickness down to fit in.
Then with a 3/4 drive ratchet bar 2 feet long tried undoing the nut.
The whole car started to move backwards that's with the handbrake on. The nut didn't budge. So annoying. I left my large rattle gun at work so will try again another day. I just changed to oil in it and put it back together. Very unhappy about it. There's a lot of pressure there... Has anyone else had the same problem?

Latest posts

Back