Tyre size for towing

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Starcraft1

Reaction score
Hi everyone
I am trying to set up my dual cab D40 as a dual purpose vehicle ( mainly tow truck with off road capabilities). After a touring holiday to Cairns with our new 2.5 tonne Jayco the D40 did a good job just need two areas address to make it perfect, 1. Suspension this was taken care off by Zordos Suspension as per previous post.
Now that I am more than happy with that it’s onto 2. Better cruse speed. The way I am hoping to address this is to change the tyre size. At the moment I am running 265/75 16 Maxxis, only recently fitted, very happy with the tyres however by replacing the 235/75 16 stocks I have raised the Dia 42mm and the circumference by 131.9mm this means when I am towing the caravan at around my preferred speed 90kph it just to high for one gear in the auto gear box yet to low for the next gear down ( it changes up and down to often) . To overcome this I am looking at putting 255/65 16 on bring back the dia 2.5mm and circumference 7.85mm greater than the standard 235 this should lower the load on the auto while tow the van. The reason in going 255 instead of 235 is that I wanted that little bite extra width for off-roading. What do you think or any advise thanks.

Hi 08Kingcab
My 2008 D40 RX Diesel auto came standard with 235/70 R16 ( sorry for the wrong size above) on my plate it came standard with 235/70 R16 or 255/70 R16. I put the 265 on to get a better height I have recently had a suspension lift fitted so I can now sacrifice a little height. I notice with the 235 I got a better fuel economy, I didn’t have the 235 on when we got our the new van so I can’t compare.

Latest posts

Back