Outback Ideas Recovery Points - Anyone used them ?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beachbasher

Reaction score
Hi

So I have a D22 with an ECB bullbar fitted. I was going to fit some Outback Ideas Recovery Points, but reading the member post here about their recovery points being ripped off the chassis I am having second thoughts. Has anyone else used them with no problems or did they have to strengthen the chassis ?

I do have receiver hitch but that doesnt help if im the bogged rear car in a single track. :confused:

thanks for heads up, looks like I will use hooks, doesnt look like the outback recovery point will fit anyhow as I have an ECB bullbar

I am using Outback Idea recovery hooks on my D40. I have been snatched many times without a problem. Just make sure you use high tensile bolts and torque them up correctly.

boss, I apologise in advance for this stupid question, but how do you know what torque to tighten them to?

don't forget when your fitting hooks or D's that these chassis are only light weight chassis. it really needs supports plates.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• Picture1292.jpg
    Picture1292.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 1,021
  • Picture1293.jpg
    Picture1293.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 1,012
Oh, I normally go until the socket slips off, and I mash my knuckles:):)

And that is the exact torque required! :lol:

While we are on that subject 'Jorge' in the Spanish factory had a shocker the day he welded the captive nuts in my chassis (too much sherry the night before perhaps). When I tried to fit up my bash plate and recovery points one bolt would not do up. Turned out it was not a metric nut rather it was imperial - Whats up with that??

even then....the chassis is so thin its not a bad idea the spread the load over a wider part of the metal. should stop the captive nuts pulling through.

(btw i think the pics where off a jeep forum but the navara uses the same thickness steel for the chassis).

Been thinking about getting a set of outback ideas recovery points for a while.
Just looking at how they bolt on, i cant see how it would really be any different from using the factory "tie down points" as they are bolted on with 3 high tensile bolts and look to be pretty solid. Is there any difference?

Tweake, not sure how practical it would be to bolt these points on quite like the diagram you showed, doesnt look to be much surface area down there, has anyone mounted RP's this way?

Last edited:
Got some on order through ebay - I understand they bolt straight into the chassis. Thanks for the tips Gus.

Don't know why I've ordered them though - no-one ever gets stuck on a VNOG trip............except Heata who needed a sideways snatch and bent the factory points on his genuine steel bullbar - hence he got some too!

Check out the video - this is all it took to bend them.

http://s717.photobucket.com/albums/... March 2011/?action=view&current=DSCF7736.mp4

Last edited:
Yes straight bolt onto chassis. Use lil crc or wd40 to clean out holes. Mite have to go to local bolt shop and get some high tensile bolts to use.

Goodluck
Rusty

Ahah not sure really. I pulled one out of my brothers patrol and tested and it fit. so same as a patrol recovery bolt :). local bolt shop should be able to size it up.

Been thinking about getting a set of outback ideas recovery points for a while.
Just looking at how they bolt on, i cant see how it would really be any different from using the factory "tie down points" as they are bolted on with 3 high tensile bolts and look to be pretty solid. Is there any difference?/QUOTE]

Reminder to self... Do not ever snatch ben85 as I may end up wearing a tiedown point.

Yes straight bolt onto chassis. Use lil crc or wd40 to clean out holes. Mite have to go to local bolt shop and get some high tensile bolts to use.

Goodluck
Rusty

Stupid & lazy question.............what size bolts?

On the D40 the bash plate uses the same captive nuts. So I just took one out and went to Coventry Fasters and got 4 high tensile bolts and some washers.

Latest posts

Back