d22 suspension advise required

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roythboy

Reaction score
Hi all.
I have been toying with the idea of putting airbags on the rear of my str. Has anyone used them yet? I carry about 400kgs in the back in a self made drawer system. I also tow a tradesmans trailer [7x4]. Also can anyone tell me if it would be worthwhile or necessary to upgrade front torsion bars when changing shocks. Any input would be appreciated. Cheers guys. the ute is an 08 model with the 2.5.

cut and paste!! magic!!!:idea:

G'day roythboy, I put the Boss airbags on my 08 D22 and couldn't be happier with the result. It is both my work and play vehicle. This Easter break I left the tool boxes full of tools, put a little more air in the bags and hooked up the camper van fully loaded. Handled beautifully!! I also purchased the Lovells shocks.
Check em out here!
https://www.suspensionstuff.com.au/s...g5ibi3p3kl0ij1

I don't reckon there is any need to replace the torsion bars until you need to. I have a steel winch bar and have wound the torsion bars up to give about 45-50mm lift without any problems so far!

Cheers Brad

I have also fitted BOSS Air bags myself to my 08 D22 STR, during the week carry around 400 kgs of tools, ladders, stock etc plus I have a H/D Steel Tray, then on weekends take the lot off for family and play.......During the week I run around 30 psi in the bags which brings the tray up a fraction higher than when empty, then basically nothing in them on the weekends. Curious to know what psi others run in there bags with what size loads rounghy........Cheers guys Matt

Hi Matt, because I have lifted my Nav roughly 2" I run around 40-50 psi during the week (load depending). When I put the van on this last Thursday I pumped them up to 60 psi which made towing all the more comfortable. I tend to check things by sight ie. how much of a gap between the tray tie down bar over my rear tyre.

Brad

Thanks for the advise fellas. I will do airbags I think. Seems to be the best for a compromise with work and play, Roy.

with the D22 i would fix the poor stock springs first, air bags 2nd.

going with air bags first means you still going to wind up with stuffed springs. also if your using airbags to compensate for the poor springs you can use them well outside their intended use and end up doing damage to chassis due to using big pressure in them. the air bag takes all the load which changes the load points on the chassis. it can put ALL the weight onto a single point on the chassis which is not designed for it.

Last edited:
with the D22 i would fix the poor stock springs first, air bags 2nd.

going with air bags first means you still going to wind up with stuffed springs. also if your using airbags to compensate for the poor springs you can use them well outside their intended use and end up doing damage to chassis due to using big pressure in them. the air bag takes all the load which changes the load points on the chassis. it can put ALL the weight onto a single point on the chassis which is not designed for it.

Thanks for that tweak'e. Point taken.

What springs would you recomend. Carry about 4-500 kgs plus ball weight of trailer. Say 80kgs.
Thanks Roy.

i can't really say. we had custom made extra leafs fitted. but now you can buy extra leaf kits or whole replacement leaf packs off the shelf.
500kg is not exactly heavy so i wouldn't get the heavy duty pack.
that would also allow you to use airbags later on when heavly loaded.

i had proberly 1200-1500kg on tray and still had 25mm before the bump stops. (don't try that on a double cab).

Extra leafs is a cheap nasty way out if you ask me, I'd go the bags (and I am). You can vary the ride as well as lift it a bit......

Latest posts

Back