deep water in a d40

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wazzag

Reaction score
any one share info on deep water crossing with d40 not on how to cross but more so water entering cab .only been to 600mm but on next trip might run accross some deeper crossings .been 1m in my old gq with 33s and 2in lift. the d40 has 2in lift 32s in with rear locker .cheers warren

wazzag

First thing i had installed on my car was the snorkle. I've had my D40 in water right up to the top of the bonnet, the bow wave came over the bonnet briefly right up to the windscreen.

Putting the car in deep water like that should not be a problem. Sounds like you already have some off-road experience in your old GQ. Same principles apply with the Nav. Keep it moving at a sensible speed - and STAY OUT of fast flowing water.

I have had only one instance where i got the feeling that the tub was floating a bit and the front wheel were pulling me through the water. It was a very weird sensation. Thankfully, the group i was with could see that it might happen - so for safety I was hooked up behind a heavily modified GQ ute and got a tow assist right through the fast flowing deep water.

I now have a very healthy respect for people who have done a lot of 4wd'ing (without showing off) and when i hear good advise about NOT doing a track or a crossing - i listen to them.

yea the d40s are pretty good for it. the door seals hold tyhe water out pretty well unless u get bogged in it, only then the water starts to come in

door seals etc is ok
main problem is the diff breathers -especially the back 1 is very low

I did some river crossings in Qld late last year, creeks really, but they were flooded. The Paroo nero Eulo was probably the worst. It was nearly dark and running fast at about 900/1000mm so was up on the screen, especially on the LHS. This is when it became interesting as the D40 went into limp mode half way through. The Paroo was in about three parts and it went into limp three times after resetting before each section. Headed south to Broken Hill and decided to get the diffs checked for water. Not a trace, clean as. When I got home to Perth and had a service they reset codes P1814 and P1810 4L Position switch TF. Not sure what they are but the fella mentioned one was a plug on top of the transmission. No water in the vehicle everything else good. Mainly happy but there is every chance it could happen again next time.

P1810 is an incorrect signal from the 4LO switch in the transfer case and P1814 is an incorrect signal from the 4WD switch, also in the transfer case.

If the car is incorrectly locked in 4WD mode, it shouldn't be driven quickly and I guess that is why they used limp mode.

Did anyone look inside the transfer case?

The transfer case seal was replaced at the following service under warranty but there is no mention of water in the case.

Filled my passenger footwell on Friday, have a look on Trips & Touring section for Sunny Corner 17th dec.
Water was around a meter, over my waist & i'm 6 foot

have done a few water crossings with mine. haven't had any water in the cab but it felt like it would go into low power after it got wet. recently found out that when i enter water crossings it has been leaking into the air box and also tracking past the filter, therefor causing the low power. has a snorkel fitted, took it back to the dealer and they told me it had been incorectly fitted and that they had fixed the problem. today went into a water crossing and now the same shit is happening ?

hi i own a d40 06 auto and went in some water it was only up 6 inchs up the doors before i had water coming though the floors both side in the front where do they leak any water in is a common place and then the car went to limp mode then i turned it off and restared it and it come out of limp mode has any one else got this problem

We've now taken ours swimming properly - water over the front lip of the bonnet with the wash reaching the windscreen. No dramas, no leaks, just keep ploughing through in 4LO without stopping and everything inside remained dry. 2009 auto - door seals should be similar but being a bit younger are probably doing a better job.

Your limp mode could have been caused by quite a few things. It's hard to say unless it happens again and there's some other sign of what's happening.

Hi Monster Mash, check where the snorkel attaches to the air filter box. There is a small notch in the lip on the box. I sealed mine with tape and silicon.

what ever it was when it went to limp mode it had no power i got told to check the plug at ur drivers side floor near ur feet outside
it was only just in at floor level at water come in pretty quick i would of hate to seen it if i drove thru the water

We've now taken ours swimming properly - water over the front lip of the bonnet with the wash reaching the windscreen. No dramas, no leaks, just keep ploughing through in 4LO without stopping and everything inside remained dry. 2009 auto - door seals should be similar but being a bit younger are probably doing a better job.

Your limp mode could have been caused by quite a few things. It's hard to say unless it happens again and there's some other sign of what's happening.

what ever it was when it went to limp mode it had no power i got told to check the plug at ur drivers side floor near ur feet outside
it was only just in at floor level at water come in pretty quick i would of hate to seen it if i drove thru the water

I'd have to wonder if you're missing a floor plug, or someone used it to run a cable into the cabin and didn't seal it up properly?

i definatley cant complain i tested mine out at menai today hit a waterhole and dove in above the bonnet then was mucking around and stalled it whilst about a foot above the sills and it restarted it (to my suprise) and drove out.

hi i own a d40 06 auto and went in some water it was only up 6 inchs up the doors before i had water coming though the floors both side in the front where do they leak any water in is a common place and then the car went to limp mode then i turned it off and restared it and it come out of limp mode has any one else got this problem

Did you stop in the water or did you keep moving the whole way through??

Never had a problem with my D40 auto in the water.....except that I had to recover a couple of times. These pics all taken on the Old Telegraph Track - Cape York in August 2012.

Attachments

• P8130365.jpg
    P8130365.jpg
    214.8 KB · Views: 99
  • P8140404.jpg
    P8140404.jpg
    216.6 KB · Views: 90
  • P8150474.jpg
    P8150474.jpg
    221.5 KB · Views: 89
  • P8150447.jpg
    P8150447.jpg
    225.6 KB · Views: 94
Had a problem with my 2007 STX auto YD25 not long after new.
Went through 4 ins (100mm) water and caused flashing lights on the dash and other problems etc.
Took it into the dealer and to cut a long story short they put silicon grease in the electrical junction behind the front driver wheel ( underneath the car near front of drivers door ).
This is only a 10 min. fix and could save some people some grief.
I haven't had the same problems and have been through a lot more and deeper water since then.
Rd's

Latest posts

Back