D22 alternator information

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jackass

Reaction score
Hi again,

This is further to prev post "D22 alternator help please", recently posted. I had a fault where the alternator light intermittently stayed on after starting but after a few 100 more revs it went out then stayed out.

Took it to an auto electrical mob in Hobart, (who were very good, even lent us a loan car), they stripped it down and found that while the slip rings were a bit scored and one of the brushes was suspect, I also learned the following, this applies to the Hitachi alternator...

..the pulley on the front has a clutch incorporated in it that can fail, that could have been consistent with the fault,
..the regulator, diodes and brushes are not servicable or replaceable, they are permanently built into the alternator,
..this Hitachi alternator is built specifically for Nissan.

In other words only minimal repairs can be made to them, so because we are travelling around Oz from WA we can't afford for the bloody thing to fail in the back of nowhere, so I opted to replace it with a new one, which was about $200 more than the minimal overhaul they could do which may or may not fix the fault.

Thought it would make interesting information for those with the same model.

Cheers
Geoff.

Should try a D40/R51 diesel alternator, I am ringing around at the moment to source one aftermarket (Mine has a Mitsubishi alternator on it) They seem to be serviceable but the service manual is very wishy washy on it and only lists a couple of points in the disassembly and reassembly process. More critically I can not find a bearing part number for either bearing (Mine has a noisy rear bearing)

New from Nissan they are up around $2K retail and the best I have found aftermarket is about $700 so far. I am thinking to ensure I can get an aftermarket one then pull it down over Christmas, that way if I can not get the bits to reassemble it I can get a replacement without too much delay or hassle as we can always use the other car.

It all just depends on being able to get bearings and brushes once I have it apart. on that note, anyone have any idea at all how you are supposed to get the pulley off? With the clutch you can not hold the pulley to undo it as the clutch releases and just lets the internals turn backwards. Without removing the pulley you can not get the front half apart and without that you would not be able to fit it back together as the brushes are fitted up internally and not part of a bolt on reg like older ones. I am a bit leery about using the rotor as an anchor point to stop it turning and get the pulley off when it is half disassembled.

Hi again,

This is further to prev post "D22 alternator help please", recently posted. I had a fault where the alternator light intermittently stayed on after starting but after a few 100 more revs it went out then stayed out.

Took it to an auto electrical mob in Hobart, (who were very good, even lent us a loan car), they stripped it down and found that while the slip rings were a bit scored and one of the brushes was suspect, I also learned the following, this applies to the Hitachi alternator...

..the pulley on the front has a clutch incorporated in it that can fail, that could have been consistent with the fault,
..the regulator, diodes and brushes are not servicable or replaceable, they are permanently built into the delphi alternator,

In other words only minimal repairs can be made to them, so because we are travelling around Oz from WA we can't afford for the bloody thing to fail in the back of nowhere, so I opted to replace it with a new one, which was about $200 more than the minimal overhaul they could do which may or may not fix the fault.

Cheers
Geoff.

I have to agree with you. This is an interesting and helpful information especially to newbies like me and my uncle. Well, he would be doing some routine maintenance and check-up for some parts (probably by next week) that is already worn-out and needs some replacement. Anyway, thanks for sharing it. It might come in handy for my uncle in the near future especially when he is changing some parts on his d22.

Hi again,

..the regulator, diodes and brushes are not servicable or replaceable, they are permanently built into the alternator,

Cheers
Geoff.

I have to agree with you, that is really quite an interesting information. Well, my uncle just recently bought a second hand vehicle and he still not quite familiar with it. I'm gonna let him know about this because I think he might be interested with it just in case he plans to replace the stock alternator with a delphi alternator.

Latest posts

Back