Triple battery's

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gadgets

Reaction score
Just dropped a third battery into the back tray, all seems to be working well. Should be heading off on a long trip over christmas and was just wondering if there was anything I should need to worry about, alternator working too hard etc.It will be running the fridge and Ive also got 4 extra lights on the front, hids, and plan on doing a fair bit of night driving so im hoping the alterrnator is up to it as I dont really wana spend the cash on a patrol alternator before xmas. Thanks.

Your HIDs ought to help, they're usually half the wattage (or less) of comparable lights. That means you're not really increasing the load on the alternator by much at all.

The third battery will only take what charge it can get - I assume you've dropped an isolator in between?

theres an isolator between the starting battery and the two in the tray, do i need one between no2 and3 battery? Thought I could just charge them as one, thanks .

You can treat the two in the back as one battery, as long as they're roughly the same capacity and type.

That wouldn't work if you were using a 240V charger on them. The 240V charger will pump in power, and the smaller capacity battery will rise faster than the other. Once its voltage reaches the peak for the charger, the charger stops, despite the other battery still needing juice.

So - when you need to top them off with your home charger - disconnect them from each other and do them one at a time. Otherwise, it sounds like you'll be good.

You can treat the two in the back as one battery, as long as they're roughly the same capacity and type.

That wouldn't work if you were using a 240V charger on them. The 240V charger will pump in power, and the smaller capacity battery will rise faster than the other. Once its voltage reaches the peak for the charger, the charger stops, despite the other battery still needing juice.

So - when you need to top them off with your home charger - disconnect them from each other and do them one at a time. Otherwise, it sounds like you'll be good.

Thanks for the reply, both the aux batterys are the same brand and the same amp hours(70 I think) so sounds like I should be good. It might be worth putting an isolator between the two aux batterys in the future though as my last car had duel batterys with no isolator, 1 bad battery ended up killing the second, ended up having to change both of them, an expensive day for me.

Latest posts

Back