different brand tyres on different axles, would it be a problem?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tarnowski1

Reaction score
basically I'm trying to narrow down a handling issue, see this thread for details,

New member, handling question

So I'm looking at putting BF goodrich all terrain 255/r70/16 tyres on the rear axle and leaving the Bridgestone Duelers 255/r70/16 on the front.

is this likely to cause me any kind of issue? If it fixes the handling issues I'll swap out the front Duelers for BFG's next time I go to rotate the tyres.

any help/advice appreciated.

Cheers
Matt

different tires front/rear usually won't cause an issue unless the new ones are worse than the old ones. the front does most of the handling so the front tires will dictate the handling.
if you do mostly road driving put the best tires on the back. if you do more 4x4ing put the best traction tires on the front.

If the older tyres have significant wear I'd try to avoid 4WD mode unless you're on loose stuff. The rear axle can handle slight variations (but not too much, the LSD will get hot). The front axle is NOT a limited slip diff and there's no LSD between the front and rear, so the entire drive train will bind up if you have different sized tyres front-to-rear.

Otherwise, the BRAND or COMPOUND of the tyres won't make a lot of difference unless there's a remarkable difference in wear rates.

you only drive in 4x4 in the slippery stuff anyway so its not really a problem.
i've got 2 slightly different sized tires on at the mo and it doesn't effect it till you come off the slippery and onto hard surfaces but then you take it out of 4x4.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back