many issues d40 td auto.

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BDW

Reaction score
Not sure where to put this due to the various problems i'm having with my 2010 d40 TD dual cab auto.
1st, fuel economy around town empty tub, 420 to 450 before light on 62 to 68 L to fill.
2nd, Shudder between 2 to 3 gear change , the lighter the throttle the more preverlant it is.
3rd, Always hot in cabin, as if the mixer flap won't close , also temp guage sits below half way.
4th, Major dust in cabin, on a recent high county trip around 70 kms to site on dirt the dust ingress was crazy (AC on for the heat in cabin and recert on, all windows up)
There are other issues such as the harsh ride(off road) and dust in the tray due to the 10mm gap in tail gate , which I'ii work out .
Don't get me wrong , i dont hate the car but with only 10k on the clock it seems a few to many issues.
Interested in replys.

I hate mine too. But I have a D22
Back to the stealership you go and list all these things with the service manager and have him / her note it on the Nissan Intranet against your VIN
About the only thing I can help you with is the heater. Mine would not shut off either but required adjustment of the cable which meant partial dash disassembly. The dealership did this at the 20k service at my behest.

yea i know take it back to the dealer, I mentiond all of these except the dust at the first service and their reply , we can't fault anything. Go figure , i have spoken to them regarding the fuel cons and was told nissan Aust wont look at it till 10K , so i've kept all recpts till now, i also asked if they would pay for the excessive fuel cost until i reached 10k based on their fuel figures when i purchased the car , we cant comment was the reply ?? So I'ii book it back in soon (pre service) and see what happens.

If you can. Take it to Dandenong Nissan. Mike the Service manager there is the best I have found and will bend over backwards to help you....but ultimately your fate lies in Nissan Australia. I wouldn't piss on Blackburn, Werribee are all about sales, Alan Mance Melton try but are very apathetic, Essendon "have never seen that before". I've done the rounds

Brought the car from northern nissan, I live in Nth melb so was going to give them the benifit of doubt and 1 more go, Dandys to far but I've heard good things about essendon from other D40 owners. The other thing i forgot to mention is the total LACK of engine braking in first low , i've driven cruisers, hilux's patrols etc all have it, Navara nothning ?? is this normal

BDW

Dust problem fix - cabin filters. Nissan don't supply them in the aussie cars. You'll have to buy them and fit them yourself. Very easy install behind the glove box. Search for cabin filters in the parts thread and you should be able to locate the correct part numbers. That or go see your local dealer and they should have them in stock. Price is about $70. Also, ensure you have fresh air selected and not recycle. Positive pressure is your friend. Recycle will suck it in from every hole you can imagine.

Fuel issue - Firstly, don't go by the fuel figures they advertise. They are crap. Wait till you get some k's up on the beast and then revisit it. Could be something as simple as a sensor fault. That or you may just have a thirsty one. My 08 auto gives me about 6km/lt, but i have a lot of after market add ons which equals weight.

Shudder and cabin heat sounds like an issue. Keep on Nisan's back about it. Temp gauge is correct.

Hope this helps.

As long as the hairdryers work you have nothing to worry about.

I agree with Merchant. Nissan will fit the pollen filters at the 20K service but they neglect to include them with the shipped vehicle. They are a blessing.

You're getting roughly 15LPHK city cycle, which actually isn't bad for a young diesel. While petrol cars bed in fast, they also die fast. Diesels go for a lot longer. We found our D40 was doing the same mileage as yours until several things happened:

* the engine loosened up, somewhere around 13,200km on the clock where consumption dropped from around 15LPHK to mid-12LPHK.

* we reset the ECU so that the fuel mapping could be re-learned. There's a thread on this, but I'll explain it below

* I started driving it properly. This was my first diesel, and I had been driving it like a petrol car. I have adjusted my habits with some success - may not be perfect, but it is an improvement.

The ECU reset is easy to do. Unload the car and be ready for a gentle drive at up to 90km/h (tops, don't go any faster for this process). With the engine off, remove the negative battery lead and press the brake pedal for a couple of seconds. Replace the battery lead, close the bonnet, start the car and drive off VERY gently, let the vehicle get up to 80/85km/h where the torque converter will lock and cruise for a couple of minutes like this, then pull over and turn off the vehicle - process complete.

You can "unlearn" this by driving heavily. I have found that I use much less fuel if I just let the diesel do its thing and wind up, rather than trying to push it harder. In fact, this Christmas just gone, we had the tub full (vehicle would have weighed somewhere near 2.8T) and had the van behind (1.8T) and for one tank covering 354.6km we used 56.26L which is 15.87LPHK. Another tank 540.3km used 63.82L or 15.51LPHK. That's towing the double-axle full van you see in my garage.

Unladen, I have had figures of 480.8km using 50.28L, or 10.46LPHK. For me, "unladen" is about 2.5T - the tub had the usual fridge, batteries, tools etc in it.

As for the shudder - take it to the dealer. Mine is as smooth as - yours may have slightly off-spec ATF in the box, or there's an issue with the torque converter - some 2009 models had faulty TCC units and had to have their torque converters replaced. It's possible the auto woes aren't completely over.

I always run the air conditioning in my car, because I don't want any of the seals etc in the refrigerant lines to dry up and crack, so I keep it working. It doesn't cost a lot to keep it going, and I never get the heat - although I might try and see if mine blows hot air on max cool with the A/C compressor off. If it does, it either may be a design thing, or I have the same problem you do - either way, I'll take mine back to the dealer for that too.

I know there has been fan problems with some STX's where the cabin fans either work on one speed only or don't work at all and the fix is apparently a $140 (Nissan price) resistor behind the panel, I have heard some dealers are reluctant to fix this because of the effort they have to go to replace the $1.20 part. Given the way the panel works and it's control the problem with the non shutting mixer flap could be electrical in the panel controller. It's not serviceable so Nissan should replace it.

Like Aido says find a new dealer, if Dandy is too far to go even try heading north, I've found in my years of owning Nissans that the further you move from the city the more helpful Nissan staff are, (except for my local they are tools)

Thanks for the feed back guys. I will book it in soon and let you know how i go, with the dust issue I've always found (in patrols and landcruisers) recert is best for bulldust tracks. Any way have decided to do some mods, long range tank and lift, ARB will do 70L aux tank for $1400 fitted , thats 150L range, seems the best option compaired to others , would pefer 1 tank but the biggest I've found is 143 L for the same $$. And with suspenion i'm thinking Koni and King springs anyone have other ideas, checked out arb with ome but similar price and after having konis and kings on the patrol i think its a very good package.
Ideas ??

Thanks for the feed back guys. I will book it in soon and let you know how i go, with the dust issue I've always found (in patrols and landcruisers) recert is best for bulldust tracks. Any way have decided to do some mods, long range tank and lift, ARB will do 70L aux tank for $1400 fitted , thats 150L range, seems the best option compaired to others , would pefer 1 tank but the biggest I've found is 143 L for the same $$. And with suspenion i'm thinking Koni and King springs anyone have other ideas, checked out arb with ome but similar price and after having konis and kings on the patrol i think its a very good package.
Ideas ??

I have a single tank in my D40 - it is 160 litres and made by Opposite Lock. I don't know if they still make them but I had mine fitted by Hume Off Road in Canberra in about February 2009.

Attachments

• IMG_2302.jpg
    IMG_2302.jpg
    191.5 KB · Views: 75
  • opposite_lock_160.jpg
    opposite_lock_160.jpg
    194.8 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
I have a single tank in my D40 - it is 160 litres and made by Opposite Lock. I don't know if they still make them but I had mine fitted by Hume Off Road in Canberra in about February 2009.

FYI - I too have a 160 OL tank. It cracked along the top of the tank and I had it repaired under warranty the week before Xmas. Reinforced with a gusset, pressure tested and recertified etc took three days to repair.

Latest posts

Back