Building a steel tray

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aido

Reaction score
Keeping the Navarasaurus so now I'm going to mod it to suit our needs.
Looked at a trade rack from a#b when I first bought it and the cost was near $1600 for one to coverthe existing tub and canopy.
Having done some 4x4 I have found that the standard tub is poor in departure angle and if not for the tow bar would have been badly damaged.
In an effort to improve the departure angle the tow bar will be removed and I am looking to fabricate a steel tray with racks for a rooftop tent and canvas canopy
Also I will add a spare wheel carrier to take the spare from underneath and a jerry holder for either water or fuel.
Budget is a conservative $900 doing it all myself with quality components and fitout (excluding rooftop tent)
Sketching and pricing up materials this week.

There...its in writing now I have to do it.....or find a bloody good excuse not to :sarcastic:

Three day sleepover at Jase's house and you'd get it finished

At his rates I can only afford 4 hrs :sarcastic:
Would be done properly though.
Have just reloaded Autocad onto this computation machine and have started to transfer some squiggles onto Sketchup to see how it will work.
I need dimensions though. Need to know what is required for the chassis mounts. Can they be solid or would it be best to rubber mount?

They're usually solid but there's no reason you can't rubber mount them, if you can find mounts.

Not interested in the drop sides. Just want a flat tray.
Cheers though.
Considered modding an existing one but..
Went past Nis4x4 in Williamstown, Ashley st Wreckers and called up some bloke they gave me the number for today. Apparently the demand for dual cab steel trays is so high that they don't last 24 hrs in the yard. Thats if they are not even pre-sold. and all those blokes are looking for $700 to 1k
RHS and checkerplate isn't that expensive.

RHS and checkerplate isn't that expensive.

True, but you don't want it too look like a box trailer humping your Nav. It's got to have some shape to match those sporting lines Nissan's finest endowed it with..

But I've been busy sketching and I have come up with this already.
rear_wing_assy.jpg

In fact that will take up 95% of the budget so all I have left is the rusty old box trailer I found at the tip last weekend.

Not interested in the drop sides. Just want a flat tray.

If you want a canvas canopy you will need the drop sides to support it. I wanted same on my former Triton but couldn't be done.

Joint in Warragul did a fab job on my canopy.

I sure do miss the tray. Steel frame with marine ply floor - lighter and less rattles.

My tray was too long and just prior to selling I had a quote of $100-00 to shorten by 18 inches - which included matching up the drop sides, lighting etc.

I would love to have a tray on the Nav................but, well, you know - that 's what dreams are for.

Attachments

• DSCF6383.jpg
    DSCF6383.jpg
    234.7 KB · Views: 405
  • DSCF6387.jpg
    DSCF6387.jpg
    185.4 KB · Views: 288
  • September 006.jpg
    September 006.jpg
    217.9 KB · Views: 354
  • 24-1-09.jpg
    24-1-09.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 244
Last edited:
We used to make trays for the Crusiers out of 25x50 boxing and checkerplate, tie down rails along the sides, mud guards underneath, mesh to protect the rear window. It was never the cheapest or quickest option available but they were never that hard to make once you got your measurements drawn up and most of our measurements just got drawn on the wall in chalk.

Latest posts

Back