AGM Battery

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shimoneous

Reaction score
HI all,

Just after some quick advice on purchasing a new battery for my Nav, i recently purchased a 80L Waeco fridge and also use a winch when 4wding.

I am not that interested in setting up a dual battery system at the moment so I'm looking at options for a decent battery in which i can run the gear off, having the car off for no longer than a day. (with others around so if it did go flat i can jump start)

I was looking at the AGM batteries as they have a high crack and also a good amp hour rating. But i have been told you are not allowed to mount these batteries in the engine bay.

If this is the case, what are my options? Preferably with some sort of deep cycle battery and one that has close or more than 100Ah?

Thanks in advance.

Honestly, Keep your you std battery for starting duties.

But, for all means still buy an agm (120a/h fullrivers from ebay are well priced) and charge it at home before and after use.

Then when/if you go for a dual battery kit (to charge the 2nd battery on the move), all you need is a solenoid and some wire ($150ish) and your good to go.

Heat from the engine may reduce the lift of the battery, but if space is an issue, mount it in the engine bay. Just try and shield the heat. If you mount it behind the heat light you should be fine but if its hard up against the firewall (beside the turbo) a strip of aliminum/steel would do the trick.

Then when/if you go for a dual battery kit (to charge the 2nd battery on the move), all you need is a solenoid and some wire ($150ish) and your good to go.

Don't forget a new tray to fit the second battery on (if putting it under the bonnet), $160+ and the fact that my current starter battery is also on its way out meaning it will have to be replaced soon also so another ~$200

So total (including wire and solenoid) being $500+ the cost of the 2nd AGM battery aswell thats what puts me off :p

If the Redback AGM battery is made to be stored under the bonnet (and warranty covers the battery even if it is placed in there) then its pretty much ideal??

If this is an old battery, you can try that, but don't hold your breath expecting a miracle.

Battery tray

The tray for my second battery in my 04 nav d22 only holds a 60 amp battery Piranha /tjm tray

My 120a/h AGM is incredibly heavy. Can the original battery mount take that kind of weight?

Bump

I am finally looking at getting around to buying a Piranha Battery Tray or something similar and mounting my 100 A/H AGM behind the passenger headlight (D22 & snorkel mods already done).

With the AGM weighing 30 odd kilo's i am also interested to hear others thoughts regarding if the inner guard can take the weight?

there is the allrounder from supercharge, its called a dual purpose cranking/deep cycle. i think its just a slightly different lead acid set up inside.

theres a 760cca/105ah that would be the same size as the standard N70 or whatever, and it only weighs about 5kg more, or theres a 120ah one thats only a couple of cm longer and still weighs less than 30kg.

i rekon it would suit your needs of a single batt setup, or even a dual set up with 2 of these, then it wouldnt matter which one you discharged, you just use the other one to start the car.

James

Bump

I am finally looking at getting around to buying a Piranha Battery Tray or something similar and mounting my 100 A/H AGM behind the passenger headlight (D22 & snorkel mods already done).

With the AGM weighing 30 odd kilo's i am also interested to hear others thoughts regarding if the inner guard can take the weight?

As long as you can stop it moving completely, it cas easily take the weight.

Look at the factory battery tray, could make one flimsy-er if i tried.

Latest posts

Back